Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

that dawkins, what'll he come up with next??

Options
1235»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,283 ✭✭✭✭Scofflaw

What's the deal here? Why is eating animals so bad? Why is a nervous system of such importance?

Basically, because we have one. As Zillah has pointed out, it's a straightforwardly humanocentric view, philosophically no different from the religious viewpoint that puts humanity at the centre as master of the world. Vegetarians are just slightly kinder to the 'lower orders' than non-vegetarians.

cordially,
    Scofflaw

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,686 ✭✭✭✭PDN

What's the deal here? Why is eating animals so bad? Why is a nervous system of such importance?

Maybe it's because meat tastes so much better than vegetables. People's hangover from guilt-ridden Catholicism means they can feel virtuous by being ascetic enough to confine themselves to bland food as vegetarians while still retaining enough atheism to argue with the silly God-worshippers. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭pinksoir

PDN wrote:
    Maybe it's because meat tastes so much better than vegetables. People's hangover from guilt-ridden Catholicism means they can feel virtuous by being ascetic enough to confine themselves to bland food as vegetarians while still retaining enough atheism to argue with the silly God-worshippers. ;)
    Ah sure, it's all about the spices and seasonings anyway...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,794 ✭✭✭JC 2K3

Scofflaw wrote:
    Somewhat higher, last time I looked. I can condemn you, if you like?
    Rare, Medium or Well Done?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

Scofflaw wrote:
    As Zillah has pointed out, it's a straightforwardly humanocentric view

I believe the word was homocentric. Let me have my fun.

• Advertisement
Advertisement