Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mini PC build (sff)

Options
  • 02-04-2007 10:57am
    Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭

I'm building a mini PC so I can have it in my bedroom, I'll be using it mostly for music, video and net. May even run some audio apps (ableton, cubase).

Anyone care to take a look at the list and check that it's all right?
    I'm no expert at pc building.

I'm not sure if I need a graphics card? The shuttle barebones has a graphics controller, so that means I still need a PCI card?
    A TV card would be nice anyway.

Will I need to get a fan for the amd processor?

1 stick of 1024 is ok? Or does it need 2 equal sized sticks?
    Might go for 2 sticks of 1024.

List: http://www.komplett.ie/k/shoplist.asp?mode=receive&si=449559&su=8A80B4A9-243B-4634-9700-4E05565A7D13

Any advice appreciated.
    Don't want to find out I've missed something obvious....

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,757 ✭✭✭8T8

Everything is fine for the most part though I'll suggest one or two slight changes.

You don't need a graphics card the integrated one is sufficient for 2D usage. The integrated graphics has only VGA out so if you for instance wanted a DVI output for a digital link to the monitor then you would need a graphics card (A VGA output can work with a DVI display via an adapter but of course the signal is not digital it will still be analouge).

You do not require a fan for the CPU Shuttle have their own cooling mechanism built into the chassis which attaches to the CPU socket.

A TV card is possible if you want it.

Go for 2x512MB for 1GB as it uses a dual channel memory controller so RAM must be in pairs.

* Lose the CPU cooler in the list.
    * Go with 1GB DDR-2 667 or 2GB DDR-2 667 (frankly I get 2GB if you can afford it)
    * Change the DVDRW drive to a SATA version which make cable management a lot easier.
    * If you want a TV card try this note this does analogue only sources. Also works with Windows media centre software if you have it (part of Vista or XP MCE).

• Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭fuse

Thanks, that's really helpful.
    I'll be fine without the graphics card for now, can pick up a TV card later if needed.
    Will go for 2gb RAM alright and switch DVDRW to SATA.
    Looks good, damn price is creeping up now!

Thanks for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

how pushed are you to buy this? if i where you i'd wait a month and see what AMD's response to Intels price cuts is going to be. You could get a PC for the same price but twice as powerfull.

Also check out to see if that barebones mobo supports any sort of fan controlling. If not it might be an idea to invest in a better CPU cooler to keep the noise levels down, as those AMD fans can make a lot of noise on full RPM. If its going to be in your bedroom you'd want to get the noise levels down to "white noise" so that you can have it running through the night and not have it wake you up.

Yeah I can wait a month, wasn't aware of intel price cuts.
    Do you think it'll bring the price of the processor down considerably?

I'd like to keep noise levels down alright.
    I suppose I can add that later if I do find it too loud.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,245 ✭✭✭✭Fanny Cradock

There is an excellent sticky in the tweaking section that deals with noise reduction.

In fact, here's the link:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=276210

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭hopeful

L31mr0d wrote:

Also check out to see if that barebones mobo supports any sort of fan controlling. If not it might be an idea to invest in a better CPU cooler to keep the noise levels down, as those AMD fans can make a lot of noise on full RPM. If its going to be in your bedroom you'd want to get the noise levels down to "white noise" so that you can have it running through the night and not have it wake you up.

All the Shuttle's have temperature controlled fans...and the heatsink/fan they come with is real quiet...you will only hear it if you push the CPU very hard indeed.
    I wouldn't worry about swapping the DVD drive for a SATA one as the Shuttle has an IDE cable already shortened and routed out of the way. They are great to build...unless you have really fat fingers :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,227 ✭✭✭awhir

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭hopeful

awhir wrote:

How are you going to fit an Intel Skt 775 Core Duo in an AMD AM2 skt board? With a hammer perhaps :D

Core 2 isn't really worth the extra money for the tasks the OP outlines anyway & he would have to get another SFF case that supports Core 2 further pushing up the cost.

sorry linked wrong barebone here:http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.asp?sku=325211

• Advertisement

It's an idea, but pushing the cost up again, think I'm happy with the spec as it is now. Cheers for all the replies!

ok but it offers futre upgrade and its about 20-30e more then ur orignal and faster.

Could go with that one you suggested awhir.
    It's 200 MHz faster but only supports 2gb RAM as opposed 4gb on the other one.

BTW, the AMD processed has dropped in price 11.5% and the
    Samsung 800gb dropped 8%. Not bad, thanks for the advice!

DVD Drive won't be in stock til next week so might as well hold off on the order til then.

Hard to figure out how good the RAM is.
    I'm getting
    "Crucial DDR2 PC5300 2048MB CL5 Kit w/two matched DDR2 PC5300 1024MB CL5"

I would like it pretty fast as I want to run some audio apps on it and run midi keyboard through it.
    2gb seems plenty but its the speeds, PC5300 etc that I'm unsure about.

Is it worth the extra 60eur to move to PC6400???
    What does the PCxx00 mean?
    Also difference between the CL4/CL5?

Yes SATA will work on SATA2 controller it is backwards compatible.

DDR 1/2 goes by various names some choose to describe it one way and others another way. The PCxxx comes about from a rough approximation of the bandwidth of the module whereas the DDR 667/800 comes about from the operating frequency e.g 800Mhz.

The wiki link on DDR2 goes into more detail.

The Crucial 2GB kit is DDR-2 667, the PC6400 is DDR-2 800 the difference in performance isn't all that great in fact you wouldn't notice any unless running certain software. That said DDR-2 800 has now dropped significantly in price to the point where it is affordable so this Corsair 2GB kit for €172 is recommended.

Cool thanks.

Looking at the shuttle, it's only got SATA-150,
    All hdd's on komplett are SATA2, I presume this means the motherboard will still be able to handle SATA2 drives?

Yes SATA2 is backwards compatible with SATA(1) controllers, in some cases certain brand SATA2 hard drives come with a jumper that must be set for SATA(1) mode to ensure compatibility but that is all that needs to be done.

Alrighty sounds good.
    Upgraded to the corsair ram you recommended, cheers eightyeight!

Advertisement