Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DSL removed from line?

Options
  • 02-04-2007 11:01am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 273 ✭✭

I am currently trying to port my phone number to Blueface. I moved all my calls and line rental to eircom. I also cancelled my BT Broadband and requested that DSL be removed from my line as this is a required part of the port. After a month of daily phonecalls they today confirmed that the DSL has been removed from my line. My problem is that when I turn on my DSL modem the DSL light flashes for a while and then turns a solid green, the Internet light turns red. Doesn't this mean that the DSL is working but the internet account has been deactivated?
    I need to know that DSL has been completely removed from the line as otherwise I will be forced to resubmit my port application and another €60! :mad: (The joys of eircom owning our telephone network)

Any help would be much appreciated...

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,495 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

If your router/modem is syncing then it would appear you still have DSL enabled on your line, get onto BT and explain this to them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 273 ✭✭Irishdudedave

I explained it to BT on the phone but they insisted that the DSL was removed and that my account with them had no active services.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

All BT can do is cancel your service on their system but they can't do anything physical with the line. They have to submit the cessation request to Eircom to physically disconnect you in the exchange to clear the line.
    I'd say give it a couple of days for Eircom to do their bit in the exchange.

Thanks for the replies lads, Just got on to BT again and explained it to them that they need to contact eircom as explained by kaizersoze, the guy on the phone put me on hold for about ten minutes and then came back to say the cessation request had been logged and it will go through within the next 48hours. Lets hope its true.

Thanks for all the replies..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 716 ✭✭✭JohnnieM

presumably you have another broadband connection to access/use your blueface account !!!!.or wireless BB!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 994 ✭✭✭JNive

well i would just LOL if he was intending to sign up for LLU

No i don't use my phoneline for broadband I have chorus broadband(i'm one of the few that it works perfectly for)... I only moved calls and line rental to eircom because blueface will only port from eircom....so ye can hold off laughing at me (for a while anyway)...

• Registered Users Posts: 994 ✭✭✭JNive

just checking :-), however if chorus goes to pot, you might be in a spot of bother and a rather long road to a stable alternative :-) meaning if you ever go back to the telephone line, you cannot bring that number back as far as i know, at least not yet anyways. And you would end up signing up for a new line/ reconnection from eircom, paying the first month or so and conenction fee, wait up to a month for dsl test results, then apply for your favourite broadband package, if thats an LLU setup as it likely would be then you would easily be looking at about 2 months at least between getting onto eircom for the reconnection to getting the dsl active on it. And you would need to have paid about $30 in line rental + whatever conection fee applies, and get a new number, and suffer 2 months or so of crap chorus.

This is all assuming that the chorus service goes to crap and you cant use VoIP over it reliably of course :-).

JNive wrote:
    just checking :-), however if chorus goes to pot, you might be in a spot of bother and a rather long road to a stable alternative :-) meaning if you ever go back to the telephone line, you cannot bring that number back as far as i know, at least not yet anyways. And you would end up signing up for a new line/ reconnection from eircom, paying the first month or so and conenction fee, wait up to a month for dsl test results, then apply for your favourite broadband package, if thats an LLU setup as it likely would be then you would easily be looking at about 2 months at least between getting onto eircom for the reconnection to getting the dsl active on it. And you would need to have paid about $30 in line rental + whatever conection fee applies, and get a new number, and suffer 2 months or so of crap chorus.

This is all assuming that the chorus service goes to crap and you cant use VoIP over it reliably of course :-).

HAHAHA...its funny to read that because of its sheer length...what isnt funny is that it is all true!
    Im quite happy to take a risk on chorus broadband and blueface, the thought of not having to pay E24.18 a month for just a phone line helps aswell. I wouldn't be too worried if I had to move back to eircom because LLU isn't offered by any provider in my exchange (as far as I know, its the Ballincollig exchange) so if I was to move back I would only be taking a resold eircom product, that would be a bit less hassle.
    Just thinking about it though, I don't think I could go back to paying approx E73 for a phone line and broadband connection half the speed of what i have now....(touches wood that chorus connection doesn't drop and go to sh**e for 3 months just after I click "submit reply")

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭Praetor

Broadband ceases take a few days to go through. The fact that you still have a solid DSL light doesnt mean that your line is not ceased. What Eircom normally does is "block" your ATM connection remotely without the need sending an engineer.

If BT said your line is ceased most probably is, run a test on your router and check if its failing the ATM F5 Loopback test, if it doesnt then your line is active.

Your DSL light will go off in a few days-weeks.

• Advertisement
Advertisement