Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Access issues

• 02-04-2007 11:08am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭

I am having a problem seeing the Internet on a PC connected by wireless to a Linksys WRT54G V2 router. I am using the standard firmware. I do not have any access restrictions selected (I did previously but have now deleted them). The PC can see other PCs connected by ethernet cable to the router but cannot see the Internet. Any ideas what the problem might be?

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

Has the linksys previously worked for you or have you just set it up?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭joolsveer

Yes it was working previously. I changed the firmware because I could not get the correct time on the router. I needed the time to be right because I wanted to implement access restrictions on my daughter's internet browsing (so she would go to sleep at a reasonable hour).

My daughter, on holidays from school at the moment, keeps hassling me to get internet access on her PC. Any ideas on how I can get the router to route?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 598 ✭✭✭arseagon

Is the PC set to DHCP? if so, find out what settings it's aquiring. See if you can ping the router from the PC. Also try setting the DNS on the PC to something other than the router eg. Open DNS settings are 208.67.222.222 and 208.67.220.220
    I've found those to work when a router refuses to forward DNS requests (Not saying that's definitely the problem).

I have looked at those items and they seem OK i.e. I have been using Opendns for some time now and the IP was set to DHCP. I think that the router may be faulty because I tried a different USB WLAN and the connection keeps making and breaking. I reckon I'm going to have to shell out for a new broadband router at this stage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 598 ✭✭✭arseagon

Before you cough up for a new router, was it working ok before you upgraded the firmware? If so maybe the firmware you upgraded to is the problem and not a hardware fault.

I have tried a number of different firmware versions since my original problem with getting the correct time. I was using DD-WRT before all the issues arose. I will try this again as a last resort. Thanks for the advice.

Advertisement