Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

IBB and Ripwave

Options
  • 02-04-2007 12:05pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5

Hi,

I know Ripwave isn't kind the connection one would aim for gaming but I had no - and I really mean "no" - alternative, not even dial-up.

I was just wondering if there is anything I can do to improve my pings especially for World of Warcraft? Apart from messing about with antennas and such, since I should get broadband rather soon :)

Any tips to improve overall performance (maybe drivers?!) more then welcome.

Tks,
    treeh

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,265 ✭✭✭RangeR

Put the Ripwave box as high as you can in your house.

Move it close to or at a window facing the high site so hopefully the less things are getting in between both of them.

Don't know if you can get a high gain antenna for that box though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 treeh

Thanks, I have moved all around in the apartment, still the pings are rather evil. I had IBB in my flat to check for Breeze availability and they said the signal is too weak. So I guess I have to wait and pray for Eircom to get things moving.

By the way, I just moved here in fall 2006 and I was always under the impression that Ireland was such a high-tech nation but that feels more like third world internet wise. I mean please don't get me wrong Ireland is a cool country inhabited by great people but geez are your connections f'ed up ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,503 ✭✭✭Makaveli

Who are you telling? It's a joke really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 jpw

if dial-up wasn't an option i suppose it was the last restort. but from experience speeds are never above 0.25Mb down and dial-up speeds the other way. not great, but better than nothing. at €19 i think that's epensive as both ntl/chorus and digiweb offer 1Mb for €20.

keep e-mailing ibb and see if they'll answer the call from 1,000s of their customers who are looking for faster speeds.

their normal response will be: "We have no visibility of any upgrade happening in the near future." but keep annoying them and they might get the message, or leave and sign up to clearwire, ntl, magnet, eircom or someone else if possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

250k is good on Ripwave. It's designed as a dialup replacement, not a full broadband system. That's why IBB sell Breeze

• Advertisement

Not too bothered about the DL speed tbh, I used to have 20Mbit before I moved here so it doesn't really matter if I have 0.25 r 0.5Mbit, downloading is not really possible with it anyhow.

The only thing I was wondering if there was a way to decrease latency. But from browsing the forums here - great resource by the way - I am going to focus all my energy on getting Eircom to enable my line for BB :D

Thanks,

• Registered Users Posts: 2,259 ✭✭✭Shiny

IBB are releasing a ripwave replacement 2moro.
    Speeds are 1Mb/256k. Basically double the current speeds.

Guy I was talking to couldn't give me any more information
    as they are under non disclosure agreements till 2moro.

I know I am interested anyway !!

Link please or it didn't happen :) No update on their site yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,265 ✭✭✭RangeR

treeh wrote:
    Link please or it didn't happen :) No update on their site yet.

Wow you're eager. Let them get in and have their tea and buns first, would ye...

Just pulling your leg ;)

Good news, my phone line is now enabled for DSL...which in itself is a small miracle because it took them five months to provide us with phone lines. Hope it doesn't take too long for Eircom to open my account and send the modem.

Edit: Here you go: http://www.irishbroadband.ie/products_display.php?id=61

Edit²: Just called them. Lollers for the day, the guy on the sales line asked me where I had that information from. I told him from their website and he said he'd call me back in the afternoon since it isn't live just yet :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Hmm
    speeds of up to 1Mb

but what are typical or minimum speeds?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,259 ✭✭✭Shiny

I have just ordered it.

My speeds are pretty poor normally anyway.
    No more than 25KB/sec at the best of times.

Guy said it would take less than five days for
    the upgrade (of existing ripwave modem) to take
    place.

Will let ye know how it is.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 811 ✭✭✭dave13

Didn't want to start a new thread So i'll ask here.
    How is the IBB Ripwave Plus working out for people? I'm in the pearse street area, and apparently there is a mast close by, so if the speed was half decent i'd get it. Also have the option of NTL but i hear thats just as bad these days. Will torrents work on either of these? I dont mind slow speeds once they actually work.
    Breeze isnt available here, its an apartment complex.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,735 ✭✭✭Stuxnet

wonderboy wrote:
    Will torrents work on either of these? I dont mind slow speeds once they actually work.
    i was on IBB site today, as i was looking into their services, i read somewhere on their site that they have fully open ports with no restrictions, so i presume thats good for torrents

• Registered Users Posts: 1,572 ✭✭✭DominoDub

wonderboy wrote:
    Didn't want to start a new thread So i'll ask here.
    How is the IBB Ripwave Plus working out for people? I'm in the pearse street area, and apparently there is a mast close by, so if the speed was half decent i'd get it. Also have the option of NTL but i hear thats just as bad these days. Will torrents work on either of these? I dont mind slow speeds once they actually work.

Hi Wonderboy,

Also use Ripwave in Apt Complex on Pearse Street , the mast is 200m away along the river, not bad for downloads 100mb in 30 - 40mins ( I know thats not broadband) but it does me fine for my needs , if I had more I would over use it.

• Registered Users Posts: 811 ✭✭✭dave13

Cheers for that DominoDub. Those kind of speeds will do me fine and it'll save dealing with NTL. We're probably in the same complex!

Think i'll go ahead and get the Ripwave box then.

Advertisement