Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Am I mad

Options
  • 02-04-2007 12:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭

At the moment I'm a named driver (20, male, 1yr named, 0 points, full licence) on my mam's insurance on a 1.0 Corsa, to stay this way for another year the quote has dropped €600, I could get my own insurance on the Corsa (asthmatic litlle thing it is I still like it), or spend 2k on changing it for this and staying as a named driver for the same price as last year!!

I'm just really into getting an Auto(because of traffic)...and before anyone tells me how underpowered the engine is for the body....I rarely get out of traffic that allows more than 60 km/h. But I'm going to be doing more inter city driving in the coming months and the corsa is a straining drive at 100 km/h so what do you guys think??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,985 ✭✭✭✭Stark

I don't think you can get your own insurance on someone else's car so that means getting your own car if you want your own insurance.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

well that would be arranged as we share the car 50:50 so ownership transfer is easily done...I paid for it day 1 anyway, but mam's just anxious not to let her NCB expire too.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

Who's quoting you the same rate for a 1.0 corsa and a BMW 316?

Oh wait a minute, is that named driver on beemer = same price as primary driver on corsa?

• Registered Users Posts: 45,767 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

i understood at as named driver on the BMW would be the same as what he paid this year on the Corsa (his first year) while the corsa will be cheaper in the second year - being a named driver in both cases.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭prospect

From the POV of which car is better/nicer obviously the BMW is the choice to make,

However,
    If you are 'the insured' on the corsa, it will go to building a proper NCB quicker, allowing you to get a better car insured in your own name sooner.

• Advertisement

I'm not too worried about building my own NCB yet as quotes will drop once I hit 21 anyways, meaning I'd take over as the "insured" on whichever car it is at that time...regardless...I'll be a named driver for another year, but I'd be the one paying the excess insurance!!

It was more an issue of what are the Beemer 1.6 autos like to maintain as opposed to drive...I'm bedridden atm but I'm gonna try and get out to drive that sometime soon

Tauren wrote:
    i understood at as named driver on the BMW would be the same as what he paid this year on the Corsa (his first year) while the corsa will be cheaper in the second year - being a named driver in both cases.
    correct

• Registered Users Posts: 722 ✭✭✭Darando

Stark wrote:
    I don't think you can get your own insurance on someone else's car so that means getting your own car if you want your own insurance.

Im guessing you mean that a car can only have 1 insurance policy on it?

and that you dont have to be the registered owner to have the insurance policy on the car?

cause if you do Im in a spot of bother!! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,616 ✭✭✭milltown

Darando wrote:
    Im guessing you mean that a car can only have 1 insurance policy on it?

and that you dont have to be the registered owner to have the insurance policy on the car?

cause if you do Im in a spot of bother!! :)

AFAIK Stark is right. You can only insure what you own. In the insurance business it's called insurable interest. An extreme example but, otherwise you could insure your neighbour's car TPFT, set it on fire and cash in your insurance policy.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,895 ✭✭✭patrickc

insurance does go down at 21. but not as much as you want it too.. i'm 25 and it's still not as low as i'd like it:rolleyes:

• Advertisement

milltown wrote:
    AFAIK Stark is right. You can only insure what you own. In the insurance business it's called insurable interest. An extreme example but, otherwise you could insure your neighbour's car TPFT, set it on fire and cash in your insurance policy.

As long as you will use the car; you would suffer from it's loss; satisfying insurable interest...only one of my parents has a car, yet the other insures it, because it works out cheaper. both still have free and easy use of it

• Registered Users Posts: 722 ✭✭✭Darando

milltown wrote:

Sorry if Im hijacking the thread.

My situation is:

Mother owned car (had her policy on this), she decided to get a new car and when she got it she transferred her insurance over to it.

I then got an insurance policy on the old car (in my name) as she donated it to me (although we didnt change log book ownership simply to avoid adding another owner to it for resale.)

I thought that the insurance was to do with main user. Never saw anything that said insurance was linked to ownership, just where the car was kept.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

ninty9er wrote:
    ....But I'm going to be doing more inter city driving in the coming months and the corsa is a straining drive at 100 km/h so what do you guys think??

Depends what more is. If its only the odd drive then why bother.

BostonB wrote:
    Depends what more is. If its only the odd drive then why bother.

It depends on where I get sent on work placement, but at the end of that I'll be doing a lot of driving round the country all corners over a 3 week period...Galway Cork, Dublin, Maynooth, Dundalk, Sligo, Letterkenny.

If I get work placement in Dublin it'll be out by the Red Cow; which would make it easier to drive up than take the train to the city centre, get the Luas out and drag the bags a good mile or 2

Advertisement