Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Soccer Ban

Options
  • 02-04-2007 12:26pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 13,249 ✭✭✭✭

Got banned from soccer for 2 weeks by PSI. Deserved it but it says in the rules that I should've only got banned for a week as I've been a member for a long time.

Are the rules made up as we go along or what?:rolleyes:
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,433 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

What did PSI say when you PM'd him?

• Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,727 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

All bans are discretionary at all times. This is being put in writing as we speak, but has always been the rule.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,249 ✭✭✭✭Kinetic^

Sparks400 wrote:
    What did PSI say when you PM'd him?

Said I got a 2 week ban.

Hullaballù, but why have something in plain black and white in the soccer forum rules then??

• Registered Users Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

Kenny 5 wrote:
    Got banned from soccer for 2 weeks by PSI. Deserved it but it says in the rules that I should've only got banned for a week as I've been a member for a long time.

Are the rules made up as we go along or what?:rolleyes:

youve been here long enough to know that bans are at the discression of the moderator, and superceed any other decision.

this has happened many times before, why wait til now to complain about it?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Did it ever occur to you to Pm the mod who banned you asking to be un-banned as it has been 2 weeks.

Or maybe you would prefer to start a thread.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,433 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

krazy_8s wrote:
    Did it ever occur to you to Pm the mod who banned you asking to be un-banned as it has been 2 weeks.

Or maybe you would prefer to start a thread.

119101EKMJ_w.jpg

LOL, get down and read it again Krazy. :D

All bans are discretionary
    bans are at the discression of the moderator
    that's that then

this has happened many times before, why wait til now to complain about it?

Due to it only affecting me now.

It just seems a bit silly to have your rules say something and then do another.

I won't be re-applying to the forum anyway, no point in playing by the rules if the mods can't either!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Sparks400 wrote:
    LOL, get down and read it again Krazy. :D

ahh right, I thought he was complaining that his ban wasn't lifted after 2 weeks. But I would prefer to think that, then believe that somebody who has "been around that long" would whine that they were banned for longer then a week. The charter is a guideline, the mods are preachers and interpretors of it, and the Admins are Gods. If I was a mod of that forum, after seeing this I would have nicely perm banned you so you would no have to go through the indignity of the whole process again.

• Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,727 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

Well, mod discretion is a site-wide rule, so you're going to find this happening elsewhere from time to time. It's not something to get upset about really.

Well, mod discretion is a site-wide rule, so you're going to find this happening elsewhere from time to time. It's not something to get upset about really.

Just making a point, that's all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 46,104 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Give it a week and PM psi, apologise, state that its your first offense, point out that it says 1 week ban in the forum charter and then ask for the remainder of the ban to be lifted. Unless you were way out of line Im sure psi will probably accommodate your request.

And before anyone says it Im not telling psi how to run the forum - just giving my thoughts on the issue

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭GuanYin

Due to search being down, we (the soccer mods) can no longer determine the length of time someone has been a member (usually determined by searching soccer access requests or, if needs be, estimated by searching for first post).

Because of this, the length of membership reference in the Soccer Charter is a bit redundant.

In the absence of search and the ability to determine lenth of time in soccer, I've been using discretion. If memory serves Kenny, you got a 2 week ban as opposed to a 1 week ban because you continued doing something that I warned the entire forum about in the thread, after I had posted the warning.

I hope this seems fair to everyone and resolves any confusion.

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

psi wrote:

In the absence of search and the ability to determine lenth of time in soccer, I've been using discretion.

Wouldn't it be fair to remove the mention of ban length in your charter until such time as search is available again?

Wouldn't it be fair to remove the mention of ban length in your charter until such time as search is available again?

Yeah, you're probably right, I just keep living in week to week hope that that lazy Asok fella and his namesaked but more handsome boss will get their fingers out and get search up again. Hohum! ;)

EDIT - incidently, isn't it amusing how people only ever question the canoninity of charters after they've broken them? I mean one could argue that if people were as concerned about the texts of charters before they were banned as after, noone would be banned from forums.

psi wrote:
    EDIT - incidently, isn't it amusing how people only ever question the canoninity of charters after they've broken them? I mean one could argue that if people were as concerned about the texts of charters before they were banned as after, noone would be banned from forums.

Isn't it great that we have mods who can't follow their own charter :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

Kenny 5 wrote:
    Isn't it great that we have mods who can't follow their own charter :rolleyes:

Point out where it states that moderators are bound by the charters of the forums they moderate. This is the problem with having charters, as pointed out by devore in the past, by having things written down you get clueless newbies pointing to them shouting ATTICA ATTICA. Charters apply to the users of a forum not the moderators of the forum, you'd do well to remember that.

Also PSI, when was my access to the forum removed? Why for?

Boston wrote:
    Also PSI, when was my access to the forum removed? Why for?

I didn't ban you (I'm the newest soccer mod so it may have been before me) but it may have been something to do with your account being banned and the afterward jiggerypokery with merging etc etc.

Apply via Soccer Access Requests and I'll give you access posthaste.

Boston wrote:
    Point out where it states that moderators are bound by the charters of the forums they moderate. This is the problem with having charters, as pointed out by devore in the past, by having things written down you get clueless newbies pointing to them shouting ATTICA ATTICA. Charters apply to the users of a forum not the moderators of the forum, you'd do well to remember that.

I think you're missing the point here Boston. It should've only been a weeks ban.

As therecklessone pointed out, it should've been changed when the search option was changed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

Kenny 5 wrote:
    I think you're missing the point here Boston. It should've only been a weeks ban.

No, it is you who missed the point. You break the charater rules then you hide behind them.

• Advertisement

Boston wrote:
    No, it is you who missed the point. You break the charater rules then you hide behind them.

Did you not read above? I accepted that I was wrong. :rolleyes:

My point was that it should've only been a 1 week ban but since the search option wasn't available, then that should've been taken out of the rules.

Do you need me to type in jibberish so you can understand?

• Registered Users Posts: 46,104 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Kenny 5 wrote:
    With an attitude like that its no wonder you were banned ;)

Kenny 5 wrote:
    Did you not read above? I accepted that I was wrong. :rolleyes:

My point was that it should've only been a 1 week ban but since the search option wasn't available, then that should've been taken out of the rules.

No it probably would have been a 2 week ban anyway. Understand that I merely pointed out that the charter reference was excluded by the mitigating circumstances regarding the search facility. I never said it was a factor in your ban.

I did however point out why you got a two week ban. You committed two offences. One you broke the charter on abuse and two you ignored my warning on the thread. Those who broke the charter before my warning only got a one week ban.

If it makes you feel better, your ban is two consecutively running 1 week bans for each offence you committed - thus the charter hasn't been broken. Hurray!

Oh and I think Boston got it spot on. Why weren't you concerned with the letter of the charter before you posted on the thread that got you banned?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,317 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Kenny 5 wrote:
    I won't be re-applying to the forum anyway, no point in playing by the rules if the mods can't either!!!
    Nose / face there! Someone do a jpg for it.

Not your ornery onager

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Sorry, what rules are these?

This is a very good example of why we dont have official *rules*.

DeV.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

I'm sure you will be sadly missed Kenny.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

I propose that you serve a concurrent ban from feedback too :D

Advertisement