Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Web Design Jobs in Dublin

Options
  • 02-04-2007 12:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,056 ✭✭✭

Hey all,

I've been freelancing as a web designer for 2 years, holding down a full time job for the past 13. It looks very likely that the company I've been working for will close in the next six months leaving me redundant. I'd like to persue a full time job in web design when this happens...

I'm pretty much self-taught, the only formal training was two evening courses - introduction to web design and an advanced module also. I feel my flash ability could do with a polish and would be interested in doing a few intensive training courses. Anyone recommend a decent Flash course?

Whats the current state of affairs in the Dublin web design curcuit? Are there jobs out there? I'm 33 years old - Are there Junior slots are available in web design studios?

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,655 ✭✭✭Ph3n0m

There are always plenty of junior positions, but how can I say this...that would be more suited to a younger person. Sorry but that is the truth of most junior positions theses days.

Companies are mostly looking for young people to mold them, etc ( this is from personal experience at looking at these positions)

That said, there is always a chance you could be taken on, especially if you have fantastic design skills.

Why not post up your skills so we can get a clearer picture of what you can do and whether you are suited to a junior position or not

• Registered Users Posts: 3,056 ✭✭✭sticker

Here is some of my work: The designs are old-ish now -

I feel I'm capable of more polished work now...

http://www.gardaclub.ie

http://www.aimaaeuropehq.com/

Bumping thread...

What are your thoughts on my work so far?

As I said before, these sites are old-ish, I'm capable of a bit more now - and the 'less is more' lesson has been learnt!

Thanks

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,486 ✭✭✭miju

those sites look quite old which IMHO a potential company would rate highly at all.

is there any links to more up to date work , even a screen grab etc?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,655 ✭✭✭Ph3n0m

what exactly are you looking for feedback on - the design? coding?

• Advertisement

Ph3n0m wrote:
    what exactly are you looking for feedback on - the design? coding?

I suppose I'm looking for feedback on all aspects of the sites... The AIMAA one would be my last large-ish site. Design feedback would be welcomed.

I want to get a feel for my place as a possible designer full time tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 104 ✭✭H3LLg0d

As you say "learned in flash"

why on the karate site have you placed a flash banner generated program":confused: <globes spuining>

H3LLg0d wrote:
    As you say "learned in flash"

why on the karate site have you placed a flash banner generated program":confused: <globes spuining>

I have no idea what you just said... sorry.
    Do you mean the intro anim is a little too much for you?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,594 ✭✭✭forbairt

Few thoughts on what you've done .. its mostly critical ... you've asked for feedback and this is mine ...

you're using tables when they aren't necessary ....
    you're using frames ... my personal opinion is they are a no no .. for most things

Karate Flash banner is showing ... parts of the world twice ... looks like a rather silly mistake ? ...

YEAHHH!!! ... its got a splash page ... if I wanted a splash page I'd do a google for a splash page ... I've come to the site looking for the contents ... splash pages are for the most part a no no ...

I don't really like the use of graphical / javascript buttons ... they feel dated to me ...

On the first page of the karate site ... I'm getting no text .. this will be bad for SEO ...

About us page ... is VERY VERY long ... with no links to the actual parts of it ... while it might all be very interesting I want to see at a glance from the header what I'm going to be looking at ..

I don't like being told what I should view this webpage at ... it feels amateurish (sp.)

the Garda page is quite nice ... but to be honest both pages look rather "old" style web 1.x ... buttons feel too big ... (thats probably just a personal opinion)

You say you are capable of more at the moment ...

How do I know that ... ?
    How does someone interviewing you know that ...

Put together a site and show them what you are capable of ?

don't take this all too critically ... its meant in a constructive way ... and critism always hurts to a certain extent ...

forbairt wrote:
    Few thoughts on what you've done .. its mostly critical ... you've asked for feedback and this is mine ...

you're using tables when they aren't necessary ....
    you're using frames ... my personal opinion is they are a no no .. for most things

Karate Flash banner is showing ... parts of the world twice ... looks like a rather silly mistake ? ...

YEAHHH!!! ... its got a splash page ... if I wanted a splash page I'd do a google for a splash page ... I've come to the site looking for the contents ... splash pages are for the most part a no no ...

I don't really like the use of graphical / javascript buttons ... they feel dated to me ...

On the first page of the karate site ... I'm getting no text .. this will be bad for SEO ...

About us page ... is VERY VERY long ... with no links to the actual parts of it ... while it might all be very interesting I want to see at a glance from the header what I'm going to be looking at ..

I don't like being told what I should view this webpage at ... it feels amateurish (sp.)

the Garda page is quite nice ... but to be honest both pages look rather "old" style web 1.x ... buttons feel too big ... (thats probably just a personal opinion)

You say you are capable of more at the moment ...

How do I know that ... ?
    How does someone interviewing you know that ...

Put together a site and show them what you are capable of ?

don't take this all too critically ... its meant in a constructive way ... and critism always hurts to a certain extent ...

Cheers for the advice -

As I said myself - I feel my methods and skills are dated hence the refresher course...

Thanks for input - all points taken graciously!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,594 ✭✭✭forbairt

You've said .. you're mostly self taught ...

Flash courses I could recommend would be on Lynda.com .. lots of good stuff there ... 250 Dollars or something for access to everything for a year ... (you could go on a 1 day course ... but I honestly doubt you'll take that much away from it)

I've taught myself flash ... and don't consider myself an expert on it .. more involved in the actionscript side of things less on the graphical side .. if I had more time I'd probably go through their courses.

Advertisement