Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help: 4" double solids or 9" Cavity Blocks??

Options
  • 02-04-2007 12:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 362 ✭✭

We are having an extra room bulit at the bottom of the garden to be used as a music studio. We have to let the bricky know whether we want 4" double solid blocks or just the usual 9" cavity blocks. We're not sure which to go for.

Obviously the double blocks will cost us more but would they be the best to go for, do the 9" cavity blocks let in damp eventually?? Anybody any experience, guidance, comments??? :confused:

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,435 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

annieee wrote:
    We are having an extra room bulit at the bottom of the garden to be used as a music studio. We have to let the bricky know whether we want 4" double solid blocks or just the usual 9" cavity blocks. We're not sure which to go for.

Obviously the double blocks will cost us more but would they be the best to go for, do the 9" cavity blocks let in damp eventually?? Anybody any experience, guidance, comments??? :confused:

4" doubles all the way, don't think there's any comparisson based on anything I've heard or read. Insulation property will be a lot better for a start :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,399 ✭✭✭Kashkai

I've been told by an Engineer that the best method of constructing a house is 4 inch block, 2 inch kingspan insulation tied to this, 2 inch gap and then another 4 inch block on the exterior.

If you don't want to annoy the neighbours, you might also want to soundproof it on the inside too (incl the roof).

• Registered Users Posts: 39,414 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

from a sound proofingpoint of view the 100mm double leaf wall will be better,
    as its far heavier AND separated structure.
    This is reasonto choose it for a start.
    Moisture and insulation will be far better too

• Registered Users Posts: 362 ✭✭annieee

Mellor wrote:
    from a sound proofingpoint of view the 100mm double leaf wall will be better,
    as its far heavier AND separated structure.
    This is reasonto choose it for a start.
    Moisture and insulation will be far better too

Would you mind explaining a bit more? :confused:
    Is 100mm double leaf wall different than 4" double solids?
    I'm a bit clueless!

Thanks everyone for the information:)

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭pan

anniee,

No different!
    100mm = 4" inch
    The double leaf is just a way for saying; using two 4" inch wall side by side with a gap of 4" usually filled with insulation in the gap.

Hope this help!

• Advertisement

pan wrote:
    anniee,

No different!
    100mm = 4" inch
    The double leaf is just a way for saying; using two 4" inch wall side by side with a gap of 4" usually filled with insulation in the gap.

Hope this help!

Thanks!! Feel a bit silly now, told you I was clueless...doh! Anyways, everyone seems to be saying to go for the double wall...unfortunately it's twice the bricks, twice the price! :eek:

Thanks again.......

• Registered Users Posts: 46,143 ✭✭✭✭muffler

annieee wrote:
    unfortunately it's twice the bricks, twice the price!
    Twice as good and twice the peace of mind

Go for it girl

annieee wrote:
    Would you mind explaining a bit more? :confused:
    Is 100mm double leaf wall different than 4" double solids?
    I'm a bit clueless!

Thanks everyone for the information:)
    Sorry if I wasn't clear, I was saying the double leaf is better than the cavity block wall.

Two 100mm solid blocks are farheavier than one cavity block, so the wall will perform far better in terms of sound.

It is a dearer option, but its worth it.

Thanks for all replies. We are going to go for the 4" double solids based on your recommendations!! Thanks again :D

• Registered Users Posts: 46,143 ✭✭✭✭muffler

annieee wrote:
    Thanks for all replies. We are going to go for the 4" double solids based on your recommendations!! Thanks again :D
    A wise choice. Good luck with it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 41 Bhoypaul

you should use the double 4" solids and insulation to keep the extension within the building regs. Also it will give a better energy rating, which is needed for future selling of the property

Bhoypaul wrote:
    you should use the double 4" solids and insulation to keep the extension within the building regs. Also it will give a better energy rating, which is needed for future selling of the property

Building regs dont apply.
    Its an unattached, unheated space. So it makes no difference.
    As for the energy rating. its not even counted at all.
    And the wall construction wouldn't affected the energy rating as its an unheated space.

Advertisement