Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Don't text FM104 as they will SPAM you!

Options
  • 02-04-2007 12:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,908 ✭✭✭

I texted Al Gibbs on the Freaks on Friday show about a month ago.

Now I get text messages at least once a week promoting his gig in Zanzibar. I can't reply to the text as it's just from "Zanzibar" and there is no unsubscribe option.

I can think of at least 3 rules broken here:

1) Data Protection - a member of FM104 staff passed my phone number onto a marketing company or to Zanzibar directly.

2) Unsolictited or random messages are illegal.

3) Even if there is no charge, there must always be an option to 'opt out'.

Time to put a halt to this...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

Complain to the ODTR afaik. Have you even contacted FM104 to complain about it?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,908 ✭✭✭JDxtra

I actually texted the radio show after I got one while they were on air. It didn't work as I still get messages.

I'm typing up a formal complaint to FM104 now. I think it's more of an issue for the Data Protection commissioner, but I'll see if I get a decent reply from FM104.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

Bastards. The mobile phone system should not allow text to show up as the persons mobile number!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭Oral Slang

God, that's a pain. I've text the Strawberry Alarm Clock loads of times & have never got any spam from them..

• Registered Users Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

ciaranfo wrote:
    Bastards. The mobile phone system should not allow text to show up as the persons mobile number!

It's horribly easy! I signed up to clickatell, and you can put in any 11 character number or string as the sender ID. Another reason not to listen to that station!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

I've texted FM104 many times - competitions, info, news etc, and have never received any spam because of it.

Are you sure it was them? Maybe you filled in some form at Zanzibar at some time, after a few pints, and didn't remember??:D

100% confirmed it was FM104.

Although it looks like it was just the Friday night dance show that was doing this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Does it mention on the website for the dance show that you get these?

I text fm104 loads of times and never got one.

kdjac

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

If you're on meteor, forward the text to 50002. They will treat it was spam on your behalf.

I'm sure that there must be similar numbers for the other networks.

The web site is limited but there is still no mention online of it.

Mr Postman will be delivering them a nice letter shortly. I can let you know the outcome - hopefully I can get it resolved without going further.

• Advertisement
Advertisement