Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Champions League Quarter Finals Leg 1

• 02-04-2007 12:43pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭

Milan vs. Bayern Munich -- HOME
    PSV vs. Liverpool - AWAY
    Chelsea vs. Valencia - SCORE DRAW
    Roma vs. Man Utd - SCORE DRAW

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

I've put a good bit of money on my final predictions of
    Roma - Liverpool 16/1
    Roma - Valencia 22/1

So I have interest in all 4 games. :) I'd want Milan to win because I fancy Roma to beat them if they get past United.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

I think the winner of Roma United will get to the final

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,424 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

I think it will be a United vs Chelsea final - so we play Chelsea in the league, followed by West Ham, followed by (potentially) Chelsea in the FA Cup, followed by Chelsea in the Champions League. the propaganda writers at Sky would wet themselves just thinking about the ad campaign.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭DerekD Goldfish

Milan vs. Bayern Munich -- HOME/SCORE DRAW (very close to call)
    PSV vs. Liverpool - AWAY
    Roma vs. Man Utd - HOME

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,800 ✭✭✭county

Milan vs. Bayern Munich -home win
    PSV vs. Liverpool - score draw
    Chelsea vs. Valencia - home win
    Roma vs. Man Utd - score draw

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,708 ✭✭✭Erin Go Brath

Milan vs. Bayern Munich -Draw
    PSV vs. Liverpool - Away
    Chelsea vs. Valencia - Home
    Roma vs. Man Utd - Draw

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,294 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

Milan vs. Bayern Munich - Score Draw
    PSV vs. Liverpool - Home
    Roma vs. Man Utd - Home

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,467 ✭✭✭smemon

Milan vs. Bayern Munich - Home
    PSV vs. Liverpool - Draw
    Roma vs. Man Utd - Draw

over two legs, all the english sides should go through - on paper.

i defeat for utd in the first leg, wouldn't be a bad thing as they'd be forced to play football at OT.

The danger is that if we get a draw or win in rome, fergie will go with a 4-5-1 at home and keep it tight, which utd can't do. Roma will be forced to attack and that's not what we want. Hopefully, we'll get an open tie, and none of this tactical rubbish which ruins so many games in the latter stages of competition.

Keep the coffee at hand for milan-munich :) 0-0 written all over it. Munich will be happy with that and milan will feel they can score away in the second leg.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,079 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Milan vs. Bayern Munich ---HOME
    PSV vs. Liverpool
    AWAY
    Chelsea vs. Valencia
    DRAW
    Roma vs. Man Utd
    HOME

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

Milan vs. Bayern Munich ---HOME
    PSV vs. Liverpool
    AWAY
    Chelsea vs. Valencia
    HOME
    Roma vs. Man Utd
    DRAW

• Advertisement

Roma will be happy with a clean sheet whether they score or not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,667 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Milan vs. Bayern Munich - away
    PSV vs. Liverpool - draw
    Chelsea vs. Valencia - draw
    Roma vs. Man Utd -away

i can see Bayern winning at Milan

and iv put draw between chelsea and valencia but i wouldn't be suprized to see valencia shadding it on the night

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

Roma will be looking to win at home, they will believe that they are stronger going forward (and I'd agree) with the pace of Rodrigo Taddei, Mancini and the likes of David Pizarro, Di Rossi and Totti playing balls in behing the fullbacks for them.

To be honest I fancy roma to win at home, but I'd say they would be lucky to win in old trafford.

PSV vs. Liverpool - Score Draw
    Chelsea vs. Valencia - Home, close one though
    Roma vs. Man Utd - Home, but not by much.

I'd fancy Milan to take a struggling Bayern, We're starting to find form now and Gilla scoring on saturday will be a massive boost for him so hopefully he can kick on and show everyone what we all know he is capible of, also Nesta is finally back, so eve if he's only on the bench it's a hugh mental boost for the whole squad to know he's there.

PSV are such a suprise this year, I'm stunned they are doing so well, wouldn't be suprised if they nicked a win there.

Chelski should win at home to Valencia but I fear they will be drubbed away.

like i said before, with Totti in the mood he is in and determined to teach SAF a lesson I could see Roma taking this match by the scruff of the neck and really going at united so I fancy roma.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,386 ✭✭✭d22ontour

Milan vs. Bayern Munich -- draw
    PSV vs. Liverpool - away
    Chelsea vs. Valencia - home
    Roma vs. Man Utd -home

I do hope Roma do go at United, because I want to see nothing more than Roma's full backs bombing forward, cause we have Ronaldo and Giggs on the break.
    Roma are great going forward, but I think weak in defense. That is what United have to do, play an attacking game and beat them.
    Their form of late hasn't been great, in the last 9 games they have 3 wins, 1 loss, and 5 draws, compared to United's last 9 games, 8 wins and a draw.

Gona stick my head out here and predict Rio to have the best game of the season. He has to, as we have a back four probably of
    O'Shea-Brown-Rio-Heinze
    the weak link being Brown, and the one who I will worry about.

---

p.s. When was the last time Liverpool won a knockout tie when they were favorites :P

Seaneh wrote:
    Roma will be looking to win at home, they will believe that they are stronger going forward (and I'd agree) with the pace of Rodrigo Taddei, Mancini and the likes of David Pizarro, Di Rossi and Totti playing balls in behing the fullbacks for them.

To be honest I fancy roma to win at home, but I'd say they would be lucky to win in old trafford.
    I suppose there's different tactics for different games but they said they were happy with a 0-0 at home to Lyon. They're not the greatest team in the world when forced to break the opposition down.

eirebhoy wrote:
    I suppose there's different tactics for different games but they said they were happy with a 0-0 at home to Lyon. They're not the greatest team in the world when forced to break the opposition down.

Yeah i know what ya mean, if they can't play great attacking football they don't seem to have a plan b, in that they have no target man really...

PHB wrote:
    I do hope Roma do go at United, because I want to see nothing more than Roma's full backs bombing forward, cause we have Ronaldo and Giggs on the break.
    Roma are great going forward, but I think weak in defense. That is what United have to do, play an attacking game and beat them.
    Their form of late hasn't been great, in the last 9 games they have 3 wins, 1 loss, and 5 draws, compared to United's last 9 games, 8 wins and a draw.

Gona stick my head out here and predict Rio to have the best game of the season. He has to, as we have a back four probably of
    O'Shea-Brown-Rio-Heinze
    the weak link being Brown, and the one who I will worry about.

---

p.s. When was the last time Liverpool won a CL match when they were favorites :P

To behonest I think any team with be happy with a defence of

Doni
    Panucci - Mexas - Chivu - Tonetto

Not shabby at all, but as you said, the full back are very attack minded, but they can be with Perotta sheilding them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,836 ✭✭✭Vokes

Roma have conceded nearly as less as ManU in their leagues + conceded less in CL. So, it'll come down to whose midfield can dominate.

• Advertisement

I'm just looking forward to the RTE crew slating Totti and him making them eat their words. :D I really hope he plays well.

eirebhoy wrote:
    I'm just looking forward to the RTE crew slating Totti and him making them eat their words. :D I really hope he plays well.

anybody who thinks that Totti isn't world class is either (a) extremely ignorant or (b) a f*cking idiot, he is pure class.

uh, milan have named thier suad for the match.

Dida, Kalac, Storari; DEFENDERS: Bonera, Cafu, Favalli, Kaladze, Jankulovski, Maldini, Nesta, Oddo, Simic; MIDFILDERS: Ambrosini, Brocchi, Gattuso, Gourcuff, Kakà, Pirlo, Seedorf; STRIKERS: Gilardino, Inzaghi

With only two strikers I guess we are going back to the auld x-mas tree formation, which I personally think is a good thing because it brings Gourcuff into the first team.

So a team of

Dida

Oddo----Bonera---Kaladze---Janku

Pirlo

--Gattauso
    Seedorf--

Kaka
    Gourcuff

Glia

Pretty strong team =D

Subs:
    Storari
    Cafu
    Maldini
    Nesta
    Serginho
    Inzaghi
    Ambrosini.

Maybe, I don't know, their defence suits Italian football much better than it suits a team like United.

Tonetto is what, 32 now? Panucci is 34?
    Up against the pace of Ronaldo and Giggs?

They will have to double up against Ronaldo and Giggs, especially Ronaldo, because in a one on one, with Ronnie's pace, there is only going to be one winner.
    This will leave a lot of space in midfield, particularly for Scholes.
    In short, Perotta can't protect the defense against both Scholes and Ronaldo.

Also, with their stupid comments before the match, about essentially hacking Ronaldo, I can see an early booking for either of them, and if thats the case, Ronaldo will run rampant for the whole game.

Tonetto is no slouch, and panucci covers just as much ground as he did 8 years ago, also giggs is hardly a 100 meter sprinter these days so I wouldn't worry about panucci keeping up with him.

Mancinni track back a lot too so it's more the right side that united have a chance (ronaldo) but I can see Perotta being told to let di rossi look after scoholes and concentrate more on protecting tonetto.

Tonetto is injured so Cassetti will play instead.

haha... well then... looks like ronaldo will be running at a wall all night.

Cassetti doesnt get forward much, so automatically roma have a more solid defence, that means that Taddei doesnt have to worry about tracking back as much.

also PHB seems to be missing that fact that Taddei and Mancinni are 1000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000X faster than uniteds full backs, so they will be causing O'shea and Jeinze to sh!te themselves for the night.

Pizzaro can drop a ball onto your toe from 90 yards and totti can unlock any defence....

United will be luck to get a draw imo.

with Taddei doing this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tS0SnaVszSI&mode=related&search=

and Mancini doing this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5SDWYOywhws

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

PSV vs. Liverpool - AWAY
    Roma vs. Man Utd - HOME

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

Can't say I'm overly confident about United in Rome, after the performances against Lille and having seen Roma dismiss Lyon in France.
    I hope I'm proven wrong, but I'd be delighted with a scored draw.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

PHB wrote:
    Maybe, I don't know, their defence suits Italian football much better than it suits a team like United.

Tonetto is what, 32 now? Panucci is 34?
    Up against the pace of Ronaldo and Giggs?

They will have to double up against Ronaldo and Giggs, especially Ronaldo, because in a one on one, with Ronnie's pace, there is only going to be one winner.
    This will leave a lot of space in midfield, particularly for Scholes.
    In short, Perotta can't protect the defense against both Scholes and Ronaldo.

Also, with their stupid comments before the match, about essentially hacking Ronaldo, I can see an early booking for either of them, and if thats the case, Ronaldo will run rampant for the whole game.

I dont think they need to even bother marking Ronaldo, hes far too overrated. When was the last time he scored in the CL? He's consistanlty rubbish against good opposition. I predict another poor night for him when he comes up against half-decent defenders.

Roma will sit back and defend. They wouldnt be at all disappointed in a 0-0.

I also think Rio will be made too like a clown, yet again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,485 ✭✭✭Berns

Milan vs. Bayern Munich --- Home
    PSV vs. Liverpool
    Away
    Chelsea vs. Valencia
    Away
    Roma vs. Man Utd
    Draw

:cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Milan vs. Bayern Munich -- Away
    PSV vs. Liverpool - Home
    Chelsea vs. Valencia - Away
    Roma vs. Man Utd - Draw

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,894 ✭✭✭evad_lhorg

Only one person has said Utd willl win. Ill change that:D

Milan vs. Bayern Munich -- Draw
    PSV vs. Liverpool - Draw
    Roma vs. Man Utd - Away

When was the last time he scored in the CL? He's consistanlty rubbish against good opposition. I predict another poor night for him when he comes up against half-decent defenders.

:) I can really only smile at that comment these days, last year I'd argue with you, but this year there is no need to :)

United have another injury, Park. The injury crisis is getting pretty bad, but on the plus side, Saha and Fletcher are now in the squad, although they are without match practice.

The team pretty much picks itself now

VDS
    O'Shea---Brown--Rio----Heinze
    Ronaldo--Carrick-Scholes-Giggs

Rooney--Ole

Subs:
    Kuszczak
    Fletcher
    Eagles
    Richardson
    Saha
    Smith
    Dong.

That's a pretty attacking subs bench :)
    The only sub there who can play in defence is Richardson at left back, so if anything happens, it's gona get interesting :)
    Pizzaro can drop a ball onto your toe from 90 yards

Pizzaro is suspended.
    also giggs is hardly a 100 meter sprinter these days so I wouldn't worry about panucci keeping up with him.

Giggs is still the second fastest person at United, and thats ahead of players with the pace of Evra, Rio, and Rooney.

Romas problems will come from the wings.

Uniteds problems will come form the center.
    Form alone shows Roma aren't playing that well lately, havn't captured their early season form. I think it'll be a score draw, maybe even a Roma win (mostly because of defense has so many injuries), but to suggest that United will be lucky to draw is just silly. Top of the league for a reason, and despite of injuries, our attack is still top top class.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,438 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

Milan vs. Bayern Munich---draw
    PSV vs. Liverpool
    away
    Chelsea vs. Valencia
    home
    Roma vs. Man Utd
    home

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,801 ✭✭✭✭Kojak

Milan vs. Bayern Munich -- Draw
    PSV vs. Liverpool - Away
    Roma vs. Man Utd - 0-0 Draw

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

PHB wrote:

VDS
    Ronaldo--Carrick-Scholes-Giggs

Rooney--Ole

one thing i never understand is why Heinze is never considered for CB. Isn't that where he plays for Argentina, and PSG before he joined Utd? He's a damn good defender so i always though he'd be ideal cover for Rio or Vidic over Brown, then play brown RB and O'Shea LB...

Well to be honest, I think the reason Heinze isn't considered is because of his tendency to dive into tackles and leave him positionally exposed. This is less important at left back or for Argentina, where he plays in a 3 man CB

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭herbieflowers

I'm hoping Man U in Europe are like Ireland currently, able to play better against better teams...their form generally over the past three seasons in Europe was been, frankly, tame. Let's hope they can play as well as they have been in the elague but I wouldn't count on it...

I dont think they need to even bother marking Ronaldo, hes far too overrated. When was the last time he scored in the CL? He's consistanlty rubbish against good opposition. I predict another poor night for him when he comes up against half-decent defenders.

Roma will sit back and defend. They wouldnt be at all disappointed in a 0-0.

I also think Rio will be made too like a clown, yet again.

Roma sit back?

They haven't one that is about 10 years, they don't know how!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭Iago

PHB wrote:
    The team pretty much picks itself now

VDS
    Fletcher--Carrick-Scholes-Ronaldo
    Giggs

Rooney

Subs:
    Kuszczak
    Ole
    Eagles
    Richardson
    Saha
    Smith
    Dong.

fixed your post, fergie's not going to suddenly change to two up front now.

he'll start 4-5-1 with giggs given licence to roam.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,698 ✭✭✭IrishMike

Have a small fortune on a liverpool win so that is basically the only match im interested in ;)
    Can see milan pipping a win
    Other two matches a draw
    Heres hoping !!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

Iago wrote:
    fixed your post, fergie's not going to suddenly change to two up front now.

he'll start 4-5-1 with giggs given licence to roam.
    Fletcher is only making his return for the reserves this week.

Edit: Just saw the team news, he's in the squad alright. I'd still be surprised to see him start after that long out though. Park didn't travel.

Peter Crouch and Dirk Kuyt start, phew!

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

I like PSV and they usually play well and lose in CL knockouts can only see the playing well part changing this season, this probably the poorest PSV team in years.

kdjac

Reina
    Finnan---Carra-Agger---Aurelio
    Gerrard-Alonso-Mascherano-Riise
    Crouch--Kuyt

kdjac, talking us up for a shock defeat eh? ;)

Mike.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,294 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

PSV usually play well at home. I think a draw would be a good result for Liverpool tonight.

Im just hoping its a good game because Liverpool European games usually bore me to tears. A 4-4 thriller will do me :D

PSV

Gomes
    Kromkamp-Da Costa-Simons-Salcido
    Mendez
    Vayrynen----Cocu
    ----Culina-Diego-Farfan

Mike.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,945 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

Interesting points there on the last word.
    Stating that PSV tend to pack the midfield and try and sit on games, breaking down attacks early. Because arsenal play through the middle, they had endless trouble trying to break them down, but liverpool, with the ability to bypass midfield and use Peter Crouch as a target might not see that as so much of a problem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Great save by Gomes if he was english it be the best ever but hes not so its just good.

kdjac

• Advertisement
Advertisement