Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Champions League Quarter Finals Leg 1

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

0-1 Gerrard. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 603 ✭✭✭shatners basoon

Couldn't save that one though!
    First time we see some football played and PSV are punished for their defensive stance. Now they'll have to change their system. Hopefully that'll open the game up more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,698 ✭✭✭IrishMike

Poor first half
    Despite the goal Gerrard has seemed very uninterested as has Alonso
    I think Agger has had more of the ball than the entire PSV team
    Probably a 2-0 comfortable away win, heres hoping

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

2-0 risse

tie over

kdjac

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

PSV doing a Blackburn ? not bothering coming out after half time.

Ac 1-0 Pirlo

Think PSV are just really poor.

kdjac

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,166 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

Gillardino booked for scoring when the flag was up. He probably didn't know about it and it was a very tight decision. Pathetic refereeing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

Pathetic stuff from PSV.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

PHB wrote:
    :) I can really only smile at that comment these days, last year I'd argue with you, but this year there is no need to :)

Becuase you have realised its true? good lad, finally found sense.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

My guess on the starting line up for milan was way out...

No Yoann, bonera and Kaladze... haha.

How do you learn how to head a ball all of a sudden inside a week? I'm genuinly baffeld. :confused: In a good way though.:)

0-3 Crouch. yay.

I dont like how the competition is panning out this season, it's been a bit easy, never a good sign.

3-0

And pool just playing not exactly setting the world alight.

kdjac

Jesus Rafa, no need to take the piss. Zenden. :eek:

Stekelly wrote:
    I dont like how the competition is panning out this season, it's been a bit easy, never a good sign.

I know what you mean albeit from a €450 million less point of view :p

Pool didnt need to defend in this game but they can if needed, cant see anyone out defending pool.

kdjac

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Raskolnikov

I think the credit for Liverpool's performance has to go to Benitez tonight. Tactically, they haven't given PSV a sniff.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

I think the credit for Liverpool's performance has to go to Benitez tonight. Tactically, they haven't given PSV a sniff.
    apart from those chances in the first half which could have resulted in 2 goals

zabbo wrote:
    apart from those chances in the first half which could have resulted in 2 goals
    I must have blinked because I don't remember Reina having to make a save.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

that looks bad, i wonder if we'll see auriello again this season?

Now now kids.

Very surprised Bellamy hasnt been brought on. Would have thought it would be a great chance for old no neck to score.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

Munich score, Van Buyten. 1-1

• Advertisement

Bayern equalise thanks to some shocking AC defending.

Wow. Milan 1-1 Bayern. Goal from nowhere really. Van Buyten. Milan only have themselves to blame

That is just ridiculous. This ref is appalling. Great tackle by Lucio. 2-1 Kaka pen

Peno for Milan, absolutely disgraceful decision.

2-1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

How the hell is this a penalty? Cleanly got the ball.

Bayern robbed.

Aah Rafa with the great decision making. Put on two quick wingers and take off the tall guy who's getting on the end of every cross lately. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

gonzalez has his shooting boots on tonight...

Calculated yellow there for Kuyt?

Ha ha justice done. 2-2, van Buyten again

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

Bayern equalise. Delighted I am. Hurrah!!!!!

• Advertisement

What is wrong with Milan's backline? Any little bit of pressure and it just folds. I can't help but think that a team like Man Utd would tear them apart.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,342 ✭✭✭Ardent

Anyone watching those muppets on RTE laying into Liverpool again? And of course Brady is the ringleader again. You'd swear they just witnessed a bore 0-0 draw, with Liverpool the main culprits! Beyond a joke at this stage...

Ardent wrote:
    Anyone watching those muppets on RTE laying into Liverpool again? And of course Brady is the ringleader again. You'd swear they just witnessed a bore 0-0 draw, with Liverpool the main culprits! Beyond a joke at this stage...

Winning away 3-0 in Europe over 2 legs isnt good enough unless its from a dodgy free kick.

Dont know why anyhone listens to them tbh, if i was in pub saying that about pool or utd people would walk away.....

kdjac

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

Ha ha justice done. 2-2, van Buyten again
    The justice was Milan actually getting the peno after this getting disallowed.

http://www.d1g.com/video/show/?id=831433

Milan deserved to win by 2 or 3.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Aurellio is gone for the season I'd say.

Kuyt was cheeky, that was a deliberate yellow card.

Pity they did'nt put a fourth in just so the kids can have a night out next week! ;)

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,544 ✭✭✭redspider

Liverpool 4-1 Arsenal

=> Nice one !

PSV 0-3 Liverpool

=> another Nice one !!!!!

Two very good days 'at the office' for Liverpool. I'm impressed by Mascherano, his application and attitude. He is definitely a class above Sissoko and can do the tackling as well as safe passes. Some very good performances tonight. Carra, his usual self, Finnan, did the bizz in the back and up front from the right (take note Stan!), Gerrard and Riise too and of course Crouch who jumped again(!). Who's been giving him jumping lessons ??? Looks like he had them when he was out for his broken nose! Alonso a bit subdued, Kuyt played his game well.

Liverpool have this leg sown up barring a miracle, but no doubt Rafa will have their feet firmly on the ground until the final whistle goes as we know like no other club that it is possible to come back from 3-0 down, even in 45 mins. PSV badly missed Alex and Kone and I understand they will be out for the next game. Now it means I will keep a closer eye on the Chelsea v Valencia match tomorrow night.

Redspider

mike65 wrote:

Posted by ESC on January 15, 19100
    In Reply to: At sixes and sevens posted by Vic Harding on January 14, 19100

: Although "At sixes and sevens" appears here when searched, I wonder why it does not appear in the A-Z list. I understand it to mean distracted or confused.
    : Derivation anyone?

From "Hog on Ice" by Charles Earle Funk: (paraphrased) The expression is believed to be 150 years old at least (this written in 1948). An older form, "on six and seven," was known in Chaucer's day and he used it in 1375 in "Troylus and Cryseyde." But he didn't explain it. Mr. Funk thinks Chaucer's use referred to an old dicing game. From Chaucer and other sources, we know there was a game where to try a throw of six and seven was a very risky gamble. One who staked his win on such a throw was reckless in the extreme.

In a football sense, it doesnt mean reckless though. It now colloqually means badly organised, all over the place, etc. eg: Mark Lawrenson commenting on a goal mouth scramble and clearance "They were at sixes and sevens there, John".

redspider

ps:
    > 19100

that was one hell of a long 'weekend' for me, is that the year ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Love to see Valencia get thier nose ahead tomorrow

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

wtf?

is there a reason for posting the same thing in two different threads redspider?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

How confident are Man Utd fans with their defence? They've no choice but to play...
    O'Shea - Ferdinand - Brown - Heinze

I'd honestly feel more confident with Ireland's defence over that. :D Roma must take advantage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

Good stuff for Bayern there, as bad as the refs decision was a 2 - 2 is better then a 1 - 1 for the away team. those away goals could come in mighty handy. how van Buyten managed to score both of them is unbelieveable, many a top striker would fail to take one from those chances.

i think the lads on RTÉ had a point. Even a 3 - 0 scoreline for them made for crap watching, i started out watching it but ended up switching the the Bayern match. Only thing i could think of once the first goal went in though was "Are you watching, Arsene Wenger!"

It'll be all about the midfield for United tomorrow, they'll need to protect that defense and give Totti et al. as little time as possible on the ball tomorrow, they'd make mince meat of brown and o'shea otherwise. i think this one could well be a score draw. Roma could tear them apart, but Ronaldo will do one thing right all match and they'll score from it :D

hoping Valencia go up on Chelsea tomorrow too. I'm hoping Chelsea's lack of width will go against them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Tomorrow is interesting. Form suggests United are gona beat them, we havn't lost in so long I forget what it feels like.

Uniteds defense is shaky, but to be honest, I think Roma are a bit overrated, that said I'm a bit drunk so :)

Totti is a class act, but Mancini is a player who can't get into the national squad, which is lacking in any wide players. Tadetti isn't that great for me.

De Rossi is good, but no match for Scholes. Personally, I changing from the view of a score draw to a win, but I think we will concede.

You can say what you want about O'Shea, but he isn't a bad defender, especially at right back. Brown is our weakest link, so its up to Rio to perform.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

PHB wrote:
    You can say what you want about O'Shea, but he isn't a bad defender, especially at right back. Brown is our weakest link, so its up to Rio to perform.

Your right, hes not a bad defender.

hes a terrible one.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,438 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

Stekelly wrote:
    Calculated yellow there for Kuyt?

No doubt about it. Great performance, delighted.

Ardent wrote:

KdjaC wrote:
    Winning away 3-0 in Europe over 2 legs isnt good enough unless its from a dodgy free kick.

Dont know why anyhone listens to them tbh, if i was in pub saying that about pool or utd people would walk away.....
    Utter shite and as for Houghton...

kaimera wrote:
    wtf? is there a reason for posting the same thing in two different threads redspider?

Erm, the CL stuff you mean? This is the CL thread and not everybody reads the Liverpool thread. I'm sure you'll live ......

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

Ardent wrote:
    They seemed to forget Liverpool were the away team last night

Brady is just sour cos pool beat Arsenal handy on Sunday and then made idiots out of the team that put de Arsenal out....

Fat head

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

I must have blinked because I don't remember Reina having to make a save.
    The lads on ITV were hilarious suggesting Liverpool should get a deck chair out for him

No surprise though when Zenden came on that PSV had a few chances down their right side....cant wait to see the back of him

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

Sparks400 wrote:
    Utter shite and as for Houghton...

Yeah I'd say Darragh Maloneys got a smug look on his face this morning alright.

Houghton: That looks like his calf Darragh, I've had that before and it feels like you've been shot in the back of the leg
    Maloney: Yeah he looks bad alright, looks like it might be his achilles.
    Razor Ray : NO DARRAGH. ITS HIS CALF! I'VE HAD THAT BEFORE. ITS HIS FCUKING CALF YOU SPANNER.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/l/liverpool/6524685.stm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Pighead wrote:
    Yeah I'd say Darragh Maloneys got a smug look on his face this morning alright.

Houghton: That looks like his calf Darragh, I've had that before and it feels like you've been shot in the back of the leg
    Maloney: Yeah he looks bad alright, looks like it might be his achilles.
    Razor Ray : NO DARRAGH. ITS HIS CALF! I'VE HAD THAT BEFORE. ITS HIS FCUKING CALF YOU SPANNER.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/l/liverpool/6524685.stm
    LOL.

Houghton is full of sh1te when he's commentating tbh. He did his usual trick last night of stating the bleedin obvious. One of the PSV players was in on gaol with the option to square it but decided to shoot and Reina saved it and Houghton piped up and said, "He took the wrong option Darragh, he should of passed" No sh1t Sherlock! :rolleyes:

Only got to watch the last 20mins or so of the match last night so I didn't know whether the match was that good or not but with the way the Panel were going on you'd swear that Liverpool had just lost 3-0 at home. Brady even went so far as to quote Dunphy saying that, "if you want entertainment go to the circus" I'm really confused as to what they actually want from a football game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

To be honest, it was a pretty dull game, but thats more PSV's fault than Liverpools.
    Liverpool did everything they needed to do to get into the second round, although I think if they had played better, they coulda won 5/6-0.
    PSV never made a game of it, so it was always going to be boring.

• Advertisement
Advertisement