Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Champions League Quarter Finals Leg 1

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,800 ✭✭✭county

2-1 to roma but utd get an away goal so not to bad a result

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Man utd fans being kept in for 90 minutes and watching the game on big screen.

Good result but only for Brown and Ferdinand playing very well it could have been worse. Roma are better away tho as Utd will try and focre the game and allow Roma to hit on the break.

Should be a decent 2nd leg about time a 2 legged tie was entertaining.

kdjac

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,905 ✭✭✭bucks73

LOL @ Brady. "I would have brought on Fletcher and sacrificed a striker but they didnt and it paid off". Thats why you are sitting in the studio and Fergie is managing a top club.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

Roma were trying to be far too intricate. Lots of short passes outside the area but never managed to work their way in, resulting in lots of disappointing long shots (apart from Mancini's). Sets it up nicely for the return leg though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 711 ✭✭✭BOHSBOHS

i notice giles is keeping quiet on his usual scholes is god, ronaldo is sh£$% argument :eek: but its early yet

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,467 ✭✭✭smemon

well firstly. Roma fans.

They taunted the Utd fans and ran towards them, bashing the barrier. Utd fans react.

Utd fans get the **** beaten out of them by hundreds of police, roma fans get away with it.

Where's the equality there? Roma fans, by starting it, deserved a harsher punishment than Utd fans. But no, they get away with it, and will continue to do it.

Ridiculous. Typical italians. It's about time uefa step in and kick italian sides out of europe, or at least make it clear publicly, that will be the next step..

anyway, on to the match, i said before a 1-0 defeat wouldn't be disastrous so a 2-1 defeat is even better. It means utd are forced to attack at OT - that's when they play their best football.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Raskolnikov

Ferguson would have taken 2-1 from the start of the night. He'll see this as a job well done.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Scholes let the team down with his f*cking stupid tackles. One of the most experienced players on the team and yet he constantly gets himself booked with those kind of moronic tackles.

Having said that, we were playing crap before he got sent off, so he wasn't solely to blame. Still, he didn't help us out.

We played terribly, and Roma's constant counter-attacks were a major pain. I woulda liked to hold onto the 1-1, but 2-1 with an away goal isn't bad all things considered. Now we've got no Scholes and no Heinze for the next match on top of all our injuries (not that losing Heinze is necessarily the worst thing in the world... clearly the weak link in the team tonight).

Should be an interesting 2nd leg, not sure if we can pull it out of the bag. Although it is in Old Trafford, so hmmmmm......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

Funny how, when there was trouble with Man U fans in France the French were at fault, and now there's trouble with Man U fans in Italy the Italians are at fault.

I'm not getting into a debate on this, but retaliation is generally dealt with more severely than the original taunting, because taunting is just a wind up. Also, what do you expect away from home if you are out of order?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭daveg

Jesus the united fans took some beating from the Police. Fair enough some ran at the barrier but the police reaction was criminal. F*king rediculous.

What a move by United for the goal. Great run by Ronaldo and pure class from Rooney.

Too much time and space given to the Italians in our own half. Really bad. John O Shea was utter ****e. Brown and Ferdinand had a great game.

What the feck was Scholes thinking? The first tackle he got booked for was utter stupidity.

Overall we were lucky. Under the circumstances great result. Is there any hope we can hold them to a 1-0 win at home?

• Advertisement

smemon wrote:
    well firstly. Roma fans.

They taunted the Utd fans and ran towards them, bashing the barrier. Utd fans react.

Utd fans get the **** beaten out of them by hundreds of police, roma fans get away with it.

Where's the equality there? Roma fans, by starting it, deserved a harsher punishment than Utd fans. But no, they get away with it, and will continue to do it.

Ridiculous. Typical italians. It's about time uefa step in and kick italian sides out of europe, or at least make it clear publicly, that will be the next step..

Couldnt agree more.

If you are going to lay into fans for banging on glass screens then you have to lay in to both sets.

DaveMcG wrote:
    no Heinze for the next match

Are you sure? Only Ronaldo and Scholes were due to be banned if booked.

No hes ok.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

DaveMcG wrote:
    no Heinze for the next match on top of all our injuries (not that losing Heinze is necessarily the worst thing in the world... clearly the weak link in the team tonight).

:confused:

I know the ref usually gives the home team more of the decisions but this guy was a joke. Did you see when the Roma player kicked away the ball towards the end of the game when United had a free kick and he did nothing. What the hell did he book Heinze for?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,937 ✭✭✭fade2black

nipplenuts wrote:
    Funny how, when there was trouble with Man U fans in France the French were at fault, and now there's trouble with Man U fans in Italy the Italians are at fault.

I'm not getting into a debate on this, but retaliation is generally dealt with more severely than the original taunting, because taunting is just a wind up. Also, what do you expect away from home if you are out of order?

There's a typical ABU response. There's no way you can comment on things like this unless you were there.

My bad! We still have Heinze... Yay... ¬_¬
    daveg wrote:
    I know the ref usually gives the home team more of the decisions but this guy was a joke. Did you see when the Roma player kicked away the ball towards the end of the game when United had a free kick and he did nothing. What the hell did he book Heinze for?

Saw that, was furious. I'd love to see Ferguson's reaction to that, I'd say the officials were all covered in saliva by the end of the match.

According to the RTÉ commentator, Heinze was booked cos he wouldn't move the ball back 2 yards at the ref's request.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

fade2black wrote:
    There's a typical ABU response. There's no way you can comment on things like this unless you were there.

As opposed to all the Utd fans above posting from the airport on their way home from the ground?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,065 ✭✭✭Fighting Irish

I've said it before and i'll say it again, Saha should not be playing for United

And Fletcher isn't too far behind him

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Listening to bbc radio 606 its sounds like it looked, cops going nutz.

Mike.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,371 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

Anyone see the camera zoomed in on Mourinho's Playbook ?
    Quite interesting.
    One gem in it was
    'Gain 3 yards for free kicks'!

• Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

nipplenuts wrote:

What exactly did the United fans do that was worse than Roma fans? Who got beaten up by police? United fans.

Don't give us that crap about "what do you expect away from home", if that was in Old Trafford you can bet your arse on United fans getting arrested along with any Roma fan being out of order which is just and fair. What was just and fair about what happened to United fans tonight? Get your head out of your arse.

On the game tonight, I am very disappointed in Paul Scholes. Absolutely stupid to do that, he was throwing himself around all night and something was bound to happen. He should have had the experience to do the right thing and calm himself down. He let down the team tonight and I hope he will get the chance to make up for it. I thought United did well in the circumstances and the goal was a real peach, you won't see many better team goals in the champions league than that. Superb. I think we will win the second leg too, I just hope it is 1-0 or more.

I've said it before and i'll say it again, Saha should not be playing for United

I'm not a fan of Fletcher but I thought he did well when he came on.

Stekelly wrote:
    As opposed to all the Utd fans above posting from the airport on their way home from the ground?

In relation to what I said there....what's your point?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,480 ✭✭✭✭cson

You've got to take into account how the whole football scene is in Italy after that policeman was killed. They shut down the games for 2 weeks and quite clearly aren't going to take anymore ****e regarding behaviour at matches. And that more or less goes for all continental europe.

While I don't condone what the Italian police did, that ****e has to cut out completely from the game or something similar to Heysel could possibly happen again. Also, while I wouldn't like to see a return to the days of the massive barriers, the amount of fans running onto the pitch these days is ridiculous. Happened in the FA cup with Lampard and without trying to sound too over the top and sensationalist a player could be severely injured of killed someday if that continues to happen so easily.

I'll tell ya....Italy is one fucked up country.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

PiE wrote:
    Roma were trying to be far too intricate. Lots of short passes outside the area but never managed to work their way in, resulting in lots of disappointing long shots (apart from Mancini's). Sets it up nicely for the return leg though.
    As I said "They're not the greatest team in the world when forced to break the opposition down". ;) I thought they played well though. They'll do it on the break at old trafford. Pizarro is back aswell which will free up De Rossi. Really impressed with Chivu tonight.

Townsend and Dolan had a debate on Totti just there.

Dolan: "I'm sick and tired of people critisising such a gifted player like Totti. He's the master out there"
    Towsend: "I've never seen him do when it really matters though Pat"
    Dolan: "What like the world cup?"
    Townsend: "He didn't play half the time"
    Dolan: "English people don't appreciate imagination. It's all about work ethic..."

Anyway, typical comments from Townsend. Fair play Pat Dolan!

I can't stand that ignorance. 18 Serie A goals doesn't matter?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

fade2black wrote:
    In relation to what I said there....what's your point?

Your complaining about people blaming Utd fans when they werent there to witness, yet Utd fans, who werent there, are blaming the police and/or Roma fans.

• Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

Stekelly wrote:
    I think he was referring to the Lille game. Fair attempt at a smart comment though.

• Advertisement

eirebhoy wrote:
    Townsend and Dolan had a debate on Totti just there.
    Have to say I agree with Townsend.
    Totti is grossly overrated.
    He was almost playing in front of his own back 4 tonight.

Stekelly wrote:
    Your complaining about people blaming Utd fans when they werent there to witness, yet Utd fans, who werent there, are blaming the police and/or Roma fans.

No...not people...nipplenuts. I'm presuming he wasn't there. If he was sure I'll send him a hallmark apology card.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,907 ✭✭✭LostinBlanch

Stekelly wrote:

No, how about the BBC reporter who was on his mobile in the United end? He got there 2 hours before ko and got a belt for his troubles... mate of his got hit with what looked like a baseball bat.... Roma fans charging barrier.... cops running in indiscriminately "clearing" united fans out of the way..

Even Alan Green had to shut up with his bitter ABU rants for once (thank God for small mercies).

Have to say I agree with Townsend.
    Totti is grossly overrated.
    He was almost playing in front of his own back 4 tonight.
    That's the player he is, he's unique. imo there's no player in the world with a better range of passing but most matches his pass success rate wouldn't be far off 50%. That's just his style. There's no way on earth it'd be acceptable in the premiership though.

I just can't stand that rubbish about him not doing it when it matters. Serie A matters just as much as the premiership.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,467 ✭✭✭smemon

i've no problem with utd fans getting beaten around the place by the police, so long as the same happens the roma fans.

But it didn't. unarmed stewards kept back the roma fans, trigger happy italian riot police kept back the utd fans. Bit of a difference.

I'm pretty sure utd fans weren't all innocent, so i can understand were the abu's are coming from. But you can't defend the roma fans or police.

If myself and a foreigner were to have a fight in the middle of town, we'd both be arrested. The guards wouldn't just arrest the foreigner because he's foreign. It's discrimination.

It also lets me off scott free and shows that i can do it again and get away..It's because i'm of irish blood, i can do no wrong..

that's EXACTLY what has happened with the Utd /Roma fans.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,066 ✭✭✭BKtje

You've got to take into account how the whole football scene is in Italy after that policeman was killed. They shut down the games for 2 weeks and quite clearly aren't going to take anymore ****e regarding behaviour at matches.
    So instead of going at the italian fans who were to blame before for the policemans death and the initial trouble tongiht, they instead go for the weaker in number away fans who (stupidly) reacted to taunting and missiles. Was watching Sky sports analysis and they showed the reactions of both crowds after each goal. While the Man u fans didn't do themselves any favours they definately weren't worse than the italians. Personally seems like the police did the cowardly act and took the easy option.

Onto the game.
    When Scholes got sent off i feared the worst and after the (albeit very lucky in the end) goal they scored i was expecting a 2 or 3-0. One thing i kept in the back of my mind the whole time that an away goal would level it for the second leg (even if Roma got a second, which they did). Overall i wasn't overly impressed with Roma. They started very well indeed but almost always resorted to long shots or crossing poorly as the game went on. They had a couple decent half chances too but vs ten men they really should have done better.
    I'm confident Man u will go through :)

(i think we need a few of those ballboys for stan :p )

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,928 ✭✭✭dubmick

I agree with you 100%

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,884 ✭✭✭madds

Video of the cops laying into the United fans here. That's Gary Bailey saying someone should take the video and sue the cop who beats the united fan with his baton about 10 times...

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x1mnkk_crowd-fights

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

cson wrote:
    You've got to take into account how the whole football scene is in Italy after that policeman was killed. They shut down the games for 2 weeks and quite clearly aren't going to take anymore ****e regarding behaviour at matches. And that more or less goes for all continental europe.

While I don't condone what the Italian police did, that ****e has to cut out completely from the game or something similar to Heysel could possibly happen again.

This isn't the first time Roman police have behaved like animals towards English fans. Last year, Middlesbrough fans were treated disgracefully by them, so much so that the Chairman of the Cleveland Police (who attended as a fan) ended up speaking to a sitting of the European Parliament about the treatment they received source

I'm off to Seville for the UEFA Cup tie tomorrow and we're all on high alert after Tottenham's last foray into Spanish territory was met by an over the top reaction from the Spanish police. They are very reluctant to host us as its a major festival in the city, and we expect the slightest step out of line will be met by boots and batons.

Some video from tonight's terrace action Not for the squeamish, and NSFW

B-K-DzR wrote:
    Overall i wasn't overly impressed with Roma. They started very well indeed but almost always resorted to long shots or crossing poorly as the game went on. They had a couple decent half chances too but vs ten men they really should have done better.
    I'm confident Man u will go through :)
    Mexes thinks Lyon are better than Utd: “I’d say Lyon were a better side. Even if they weren’t in the best form of the season, they are a more quality side overall,”

:D

Roma tonight were 10 times better than they were at home to Lyon but they're more an away team. They only player I worry about is Ronaldo. Without him I don't think United would stand a chance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,010 ✭✭✭besty

Scandalous scenes in the stands tonight. Utterly shameful stuff.

Regarding the on pitch action, I thought United were lucky to get away with 2-1 and an away goal. Scholes' dismissal was a real hammer blow so early on and was really stupid behaviour from such an experienced player. Back at Old Trafford, I'm confident that we'll have enough to score 2. Although Chivu and Mexes were impressive tonight, Ronaldo, Rooney, Giggs and Saha at full tilt should be potent enough going forward.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,884 ✭✭✭madds

Thought Heinze and O'Shea were brutal tonight. Heinze really is a shadow of his former self...both of them looked 2 yards off the pace. Where the hell is Evra? Wes Brown was immense.

Will be a different story at OT.

eirebhoy wrote:
    Roma tonight were 10 times better than they were at home to Lyon but they're more an away team. They only player I worry about is Ronaldo. Without him I don't think United would stand a chance.
    Romas's away form in the CL hasnt been too great bar the Lyon result which flattered them to be honest.
    Uniteds away form has been disgraceful to say the least .

fade2black wrote:
    I'll tell ya....Italy is one fucked up country.

Indeed. I thought it was quite comical reading a recent quote from Totti,
    He added: "I don't like the way English football is even if some great players play there.

"I don't like English football and I don't like England either because of the weather."

He much prefers Italian football, with the mafia and match fixing, and the hooligans murdering police officers! F*cking gem.

At least it's warm :rolleyes:

Just watched that video, disgraceful stuff. One of the fans must have been hit about 20 times in the head.

Nothing to do with the disgraceful beating but why do most United travelling fans never wear colour? A lot of them just look like trouble makers tbh.

http://i7.tinypic.com/2rnkndl.jpg

Wear your teams colours, sing a few songs and have a party.

On the video, what was the guy in the shirt doing? Mad man charging at Italian police like that.

PORNAPSTER wrote:
    What exactly did the United fans do that was worse than Roma fans? Who got beaten up by police? United fans.
    As far as I could see from BBC news the seats were the beatings took place were all cordoned off anyway. They shouldn't have ran over to that area and try to break through a barrier. Ok, Roma fans were equally at fault but you shouldn't want those types of fans at Man Utd matches anyway.

Here's a different camera angle to the one posted above:
    http://news.sky.com/skynews/video/videoplayer/0,,30100-footy_2100,00.html

The area where the police are was an area that fans shouldn't have been.

Also, imagine the trouble if they actually broke the fence down.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Nunu

Great contribution to the thread mate:rolleyes:

Is that all you ever have to say? He plays 15 minutes after a month out and you're on his back again. Have you been counting down the days for his return, so you can reiterate the fact you don't rate him.....again:D

There was a lot of talk on RTE about how brave Ferguson was by leaving his attacking players on when down to 10 men. Well, yes and no as far as I'm concerned. I mean who was this defensive minded player to spring from the bench. There were no defenders there and fletcher is just back from injury. The others were all strikers Dong, Smith and Saha. One thing it did confirm is that Fergie does not trust/rate Richardson. He could have been brought on to bolster the middle, yet although fully fit didn't even get a run out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

I think if anything happens to Man Utd fans, United will step in and take action against that sort of police action.

How can you judge Saha by the last 20 minutes of a game when he was coming back from injury? That's just stupid. And if you are going to say, well I judged him before, if thats the case, why bother relating it to this thread? Just a silly comment.

In terms of the match, with the weakened squad we have, I would have taken a score draw. After the Scholes sending off, 2-1 is a great result imo. Ronaldo was the United MOM again, top class performance from him. Notice Giles ignored the stuff he says about him, doesn't praise him at all, despite him being the best United player out there by a mile, and really being incredible, hell even the Roma players praised him.
    Fair dues to Fergie for leaving on the attackers, ballsy, but worth it. The away goal is key.

Scholes was just silly, does he miss one or two matches in Europe now, I think its two.

They will come to United now, who will have Evra/Fletcher/Park/Saha back in the squad.
    People are saying Roma will hit us on the break, but they were hitting us on the break during this match, as United did not sit back and defend, and we still got through it fairly well.
    We need to win 1-0 at Old Trafford, something we are well capable of doing.
    I think to an extent, Roma didn't capitalise on their chance as well as they could have, and I think United will punish them for it. I think United will get through, I wasn't that impressed with Roma at all to be honest. They beat us when we went down to ten, but when we had 11 on the pitch, they didn't look like they were going to score at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,955 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

B-K-DzR wrote:
    So instead of going at the italian fans who were to blame before for the policemans death and the initial trouble tongiht, they instead go for the weaker in number away fans who (stupidly) reacted to taunting and missiles.

I'd say the fans to blame for the death of the policeman a few weeks ago were sitting at home in Sicily watching the match on tv. :rolleyes:

http://football.guardian.co.uk/championsleague200607/story/0,,2050526,00.html

Anyway, the trouble last night should (hopefully) sound the deathknell for Italy's Euro2012 hopes. And with a bit of luck Man U will be kicked out of Europe for their fans causing trouble on their travels again.

Fingers crossed for both.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

eirebhoy wrote:
    Nothing to do with the disgraceful beating but why do most United travelling fans never wear colour? A lot of them just look like trouble makers tbh.

Perhaps because wearing your team colours on away trips in the PL can lead to you getting your head kicked in? At best you'll be refused entry to a lot of pubs...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

I'd never go to an away game in Italy - sadly it's just asking for trouble. Their fans are lunatics, habitually attacking and stabbing opposing fans, their Ultras hold huge sway over the clubs and they are never really punished for the continuing violence at their games. Italian police are just itching for a fight and will use the smallest excuse to wade in and crack skulls.

• Advertisement
Advertisement