Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best Italian Restaurant in waterford?

• 02-04-2007 1:10pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 80 ✭✭

Whats the Best Italian Restaurant in waterford?
    Wanting to try one soon was thinking of La Palma would that be the best?:confused:

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

La Palma expresso in my books,
    good value, good service and miles better then the normal La Palma

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,236 ✭✭✭JMcL

I'm partial to Emiliano's myself, though it's a wee while since I've been

• Closed Accounts Posts: 744 ✭✭✭angry_fox

bellissimo's is a nice spot

• Closed Accounts Posts: 105 ✭✭Minfadlek

Was a little gem called "Pulcinella" on High street - Wasn't one of the 'trendy' ones to be seen in, but that was it's secret. It had the most authentic Italian food this side of Milan, but now it's gone :( . Don't know if they ever opened up anywhere else... !
    Sorry, that doesn't help you though ! S'pose it would have to be La P, or Emilianos.. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭PetraMac

Try Harlequin's on Stephen Street (used to be The Coffee House). Not a restaurant as such, more a cafe-wine bar, authentic delicious Italian food, Italian male staff very easy on the eye too! Daily special pastas such as gnocchi with pesto, I had antipasto misto last time, delicious.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,383 ✭✭✭emeraldstar

Cabaal wrote:
    miles better then the normal La Palma
    Really?!
    Haven't tried Expresso yet, but really looking forward to going!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,620 ✭✭✭Roen

Been in the Expresso, it's ok. Would love to try the real deal though. I also had a fantastic meal in Emiliano's. I'd say you wouldn't go far wrong with any of them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 724 ✭✭✭shapez

Definitely Emilianos. I've been to Espresso. It's nice for a very casual and bustling atmosphere. Food is nicer than it's sister La Palma. The La Palma has gone down in my opinion since they moved. It's more about presentation now and very pricey.

Emilianos has a very good all round atmosphere and great selection. Whether you want a romantic night out or a bustling evening with a group of friends. Emilianos can offer both.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,410 ✭✭✭sparkling sea

Emilianos is really gone down hill. Food is still lovely, most of the staff are very good, although Emiliano himself has become a bit narky, he was very short with the people at the table behind us.

Its very uncomfortable to go out for a meal and to have to listen to the owner arguing with his customers, especially as it appeared to our table that the customers had good reason to complain.

Its also cold and very drafty at some tables, the ones at the end of the stairs and by the windows are very bad.
    This place used to be my favourite but I have been very disappointed the last few times I have visited, don't think I will go back again.

When you pay for a service you expect to get it - Emilianos does not deliver any more

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

what about la tavern. Was never in there meself but I know the owners and some of the staff. All Italian so Im sure they know what they ape doing.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭ex_infantry man

took the girlfriend to ballisimo last night for a meal for her birthday and i must say very good service and food was top notch could,nt fault it one bit and we were,nt left waiting between starter and main course either for too long, would defo go there again for a meal!!!!! i,ve experienced emiliano,s twice in the past year first time went in found the service great but second time was,nt so pleased don,t think will go there again to be honest!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

seanybiker wrote: »
    what about la tavern. Was never in there meself but I know the owners and some of the staff. All Italian so Im sure they know what they ape doing.

La Taverna is first class - definitely gets my recommendation. More in this thread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 76 ✭✭foxylad

La Palma for style, great food and great presentation, good service
    La Taverna for authentic Italian food & pizza in casual atmosphere
    Espresso for the best value lunch in town (3 course for a tenner)
    Emilanios - still ok - but lost its edge! hit and miss food, bad service
    La Fontana - ok food - ok service - something in it dosent work

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,362 ✭✭✭Trotter

La Taverna ticks all of the boxes for me on what an Italian Restaurant should be.

Where else if you asked them how to make Carbonara would the chef come out, sit at the table and explain it to you?

When I got back a couple of weeks later, they asked me how it'd turned out :)

Trotter wrote: »
    La Taverna ticks all of the boxes for me on what an Italian Restaurant should be.

Where else if you asked them how to make Carbonara would the chef come out, sit at the table and explain it to you?

When I got back a couple of weeks later, they asked me how it'd turned out :)
    I only know the lads from the pub but they are really sound chaps. One of me mates gave em down a bit of deer and he made it up for them and all. Chrsthian the owner got some grappo (sp?) sent over from Italy. He was telling me what it was. I said it sounded nice so Ricardo (pizza chef) asked his father to brew a bottle of it and send it over to me in the next few weeks.
    They are after giving us up in the pub loads of traditional Italian recipes. Nicest people you could meet to be honest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 700 ✭✭✭kayaksurfbum

La Taverna is by far the best in my opinion. Real Italian.

La Taverna is by far the best in my opinion. Real Italian.

ill probably see the lads later. Ill tell em ye all said it was crap just to wind em up ha ha.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 700 ✭✭✭kayaksurfbum

Think the drink your talking about is grappa, got a shot in there one night, it's ment to help the food digest!

Think the drink your talking about is grappa, got a shot in there one night, it's ment to help the food digest!
    you can buy it in italy at 40% but its also legal to brew it at home. Its a grape alcohol or something along those lines. Supposedly the home brew will blow the snot off ya

• Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭chelloveks

you can buy it in italy at 40% but its also legal to brew it at home. Its a grape alcohol or something along those lines. Supposedly the home brew will blow the snot off ya

Grappa is JET FUEL!!! Makes Potcheen look like tap water.

I ate in Emiliano's last time I was in Waterford, and since I was born and raised in NYC I was not expecting much. Telling my cousins they were nuts taking me to an Italian restaurant in Eire, the Italian restaurnts in NTC are better than in Italy, etc, etc...

Boy was I wrong...the food was excellent, the service outstanding and I just shut my big NY mouth and enjoyed every minute of that meal!!!

I can't compare it to any of the other places mentioned here, but you won't go wrong with Emiliano's.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,844 ✭✭✭Mysterypunter

Bellissimo in Ardkeen is Great, also one on they quay next to Jordans pub, pass it nearly every day and cant remember what its called! Ate in there a few times though, it is excellent.

chelloveks wrote: »

one of me mates from the states sent me over a bottle of everclear a few years back. The proper everclear. Grappa is hardly as good/bad/mental as that is it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,691 ✭✭✭michellie

I love La Taverna and La Fontana :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,455 ✭✭✭anplaya

I ate in Emiliano's last time I was in Waterford, and since I was born and raised in NYC I was not expecting much. Telling my cousins they were nuts taking me to an Italian restaurant in Eire, the Italian restaurnts in NTC are better than in Italy, etc, etc...

Boy was I wrong...the food was excellent, the service outstanding and I just shut my big NY mouth and enjoyed every minute of that meal!!!

I can't compare it to any of the other places mentioned here, but you won't go wrong with Emiliano's.

youll go wrong if ya go in there now,tis ****e.

la taverna all the way.

one of me mates from the states sent me over a bottle of everclear a few years back. The proper everclear. Grappa is hardly as good/bad/mental as that is it?

Seany,

Everclear is rocket fuel.....its like 95% pure alcohol and that translates to 190 proof. Not meant for human consumption unless you are a college runt looking to make all the takers puke!!! You put it in punches and the like and it works just like roofies!!! Shold be banned in all places but where rednecks live!!!

LMFAO!!!

Seany,

Everclear is rocket fuel.....its like 95% pure alcohol and that translates to 190 proof. Not meant for human consumption unless you are a college runt looking to make all the takers puke!!! You put it in punches and the like and it works just like roofies!!! Shold be banned in all places but where rednecks live!!!

LMFAO!!!
    yep thats the stuff. I didnt think it was gonna be metal. Took a few shots of it and woke up the next night in me bed with a thumping headache. Gave one of the lads some and then poured the rest down the sink.

Sounds like me when I was over when I was 15 and my cousin the bastrd gave me a glass of Potcheen when I said I was thirsty after huntin rabbits half the night with a flashlight, which is totally fckn wrong but what does the Yank know? I slugged the whole thing down n nearly died!!!

LMFAOOOOOOO

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,455 ✭✭✭anplaya

feck all to do with living in new york,the lads in emilianos are more italian then the italians living in new york.so youd think theyd be able to cook italian food eh lol

Advertisement