Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Smith and Jones

• 02-04-2007 1:22pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭

So..what did everyone make of the first episode?

Didn't really miss Rose at all, I must say (not that I was a great fan). Martha seems interesting enough, but (of course) has family and friends tagged on for good measure. It'll be interesting to see how it all pans out between her and the Doctor.

As for the episode itself - thought it was a little shaky, but interesting enough nonetheless. Not the best, not the worst so I'd give it a 6/10

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,529 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Pretty enjoyable, I've seen worse. Good to see the Doctor back.
    Next weeks episode looks like another weak supernatural period piece (not a big fan).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,031 ✭✭✭✭Stark

It was pretty enjoyable.

I thought for a minute that they might actually go ahead and scrap the sonic screwdriver for this season, but nope, it's back in force.

I like the new companion so far.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,294 ✭✭✭Jack B. Badd

I quiet enjoyed it. Funny to see all the Judoon stomping around in New Rocks :) I didn't miss Rose at all really and Martha wasn't half as annoying as I (for some reason) expected her to be.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,031 ✭✭✭✭Stark

One thing about the Tennant's performance: On the one hand, he seems to be a lot more comfortable with his character, which is good. On the other hand, he mumbled a lot of his lines in this episode and there were some bits that I just couldn't get, no matter how much I rewinded the tape I got from my US cousins.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

I thought it was pretty good.

I loved the line about the motorcycle helmeted aliens coming from planet Zovirax.

Too bad we're going to have an extended family yet again... Martha is fine, but the family seem to be pretty obnoxious.

I noticed the Saxon posters in the background at the end.... I'm guessing that's going to be this years Bad Wolf/Torchwood.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

I enjoyed it as well. I'm one of those people who is glad to see the back of Rose and who was sick of her dominating the storylines.

The new companion, Martha, seems decent enough so far. Liked the fact that she has a questioning intelligent mind (so far) and how she took it in her stride. Didn't like how the Doctor had to appear to mull over Rose yet again - the Christmas Special should have seen an end to it.

DT was good and I agree that he seems happy in the role now. He's a good Doctor, bringing the essential traits of the character across well and he's got the whimsical humour down well.

The plot was mostly nonsense but it was passable nonsense. I actually missed the Saxon references but I'm sure it will be subtly shoe-horned in in forthcoming episodes (maybe a Lord of Saxon-y next week?) Let's place the bets now on how likely it is that Saxon = the Master, hmm?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,266 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Just watched the first episode of the new series of Doctor Who last night "Smith and Jones". Have to admit I didn't think I'd like it as much without Rose (Billie Piper - nyom) but Freema Agyeman made a good start as Martha Jones.

She's a more educated companion and seemingly more likely to stand up to/argue with The Doctor. Definitely seems to have a bit of a crush on him though it seems like they're going to make it unrequited this time round.

The Doctor seems to be in rather melancholic form, obviously still upset over Rose. It would seem to be set a little after 'The Runaway Bride' though.

Noticed the Saxon thing too, definitely this series 'Bad Wolf'.

How come this forum doesn't show up in the DHTML menu at the top?

Sleepy wrote:
    How come this forum doesn't show up in the DHTML menu at the top?
    It's just a hosted forum a the moment, so it's under "hosted>arts"

We must have a go at promoting the forum a bit more... I'll get working on some sigs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,461 ✭✭✭popebenny16

Thanks be to christ.

Anyway myself and Mrspopebenny16 were away on holiday during the first ep. However i do win some award for predicting that there was going to be a Harry Potter film against the premier ep. (although the Beeb did their best in moving thiings round a bit, see sticky) Anyway we beat Potter 2:1 so it must be ok.

As far as the ep goes it was standard introduce the companion stuff. We know she is fiesty and independant. Great, shes a modern day Perri. Lets hope her screaming is up to par.

Saxon... jaysus lads i dont mind casual visitors to this board but Regs? Saxon is the prime minister, he was the one that authorised the tank attack at the end of the runaway bride. Is he really the Master? Well, i'm willing to bet you'll find out only in he final scene of the final ep of this season!!!

Regarding next ep, tradition is that second ep is historical; third is way in the future so expect cats played by Robert Lewyllen in the third Shakesphere is this weeks offering. Of course we never see him meeting HG Wells or George Orwell do we?

As for the board, well, it wasnt easy getting Who here in the first place and we have a sister boars on boards.tv.

I understand there is some almalgamation of the Sci-fi/fantasy boards mooted, maybe we'll be moved. The more visitors the more chance of it happening if you thinknit is a good thing.

I did always think that this season is the acid test. Torchwood attracted a lot of views and posters, i expect that to be three or four fold with a proper Who season, we'll see.

As it is its ok.

MF if you want to do some ads please do, same for the rest of ye.

Nice to See the regs here again, hope you're all doing ok, esp Sark, trailblazer during torchwood!!!

Nice to See the regs here again, hope you're all doing ok, esp Sark, trailblazer during torchwood!!!
    Oh I suffered all the way through Torchwood with you all too.... I just didn't have much to say because... well... it was Torchwood.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 931 ✭✭✭c0y0te

I really enjoyed the first ep (Initial reactions: http://www.avalon5.com/index.php/sci-fi/the-doctor-is-back/ ) and was all hyped up for the second, only to be let down by it's lacklustre delivery (Ep2 Opinion: http://www.avalon5.com/index.php/sci-fi/the-shakespeare-code/ )

Shame really... I think ep 2 was pure filler. Let's hope they can get it together for the rest of season 3

Advertisement