Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nails

Options
  • 02-04-2007 1:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 529 ✭✭✭

I have male pug who is nearly 4years old. He has black nails and they grow so fast its incredible. I have to clip them every week.

Anyway I noticed the vein on one of his nails is kind of protruding at the top of the nail which is stopping me from cutting it in the usual way. I clipped what I could from underneath as it was quite long but I probably made it worse as the vein is just slightly longer than the rest of the nail.

It wasnt bothering himand it still isnt. I brought him on his usual 30-40min walk yesterday, majority on concrete/tarmac to see if it would make a difference but there is none. I plan on bringing him again tonite.. should I though??

Any tips on what I could do? I will try and get a pic as my description is probably dreadful!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 529 ✭✭✭d-redser

Camera is not working..

Anybody seen this before??

Anyone:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 799 ✭✭✭Schlemm

is it the quick of his nail that's poking out?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

I would advise you to take him to a vet because he sure will hurt it gets cut somehow.

• Registered Users Posts: 529 ✭✭✭d-redser

Schlemm wrote:
    is it the quick of his nail that's poking out?

Yes. It seems to be wearing down now.

I have changed nail clippers from the guilotine to the scissor thingy just recently.. Would this be causing it, as this has never happend before...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 799 ✭✭✭Schlemm

As Ruu sed, take him to the vets! They will be able to dress the nail to avoid getting an infection in it, which'd be fairly nasty.
    Has his claw split open at all? And is there any sign of an infection, eg, discharge and pus? Is he showing signs of pain? Some causes of claw problems can be very simple, eg, trauma to the claw, but if you see persistent problems there may be a bigger issue at hand.
    The guilotine action clippers are defo better than scissors, you've less risk of cracking the nail with them, so you're prob better off switching back to your old clippers!

• Advertisement
Advertisement