Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Bang & Olufsen

• 02-04-2007 2:51pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,008 ✭✭✭

Im just wondering what people think about their stuff?

I know its very expensive but does anyone have any hands on experience of it?

Any thoughts would be great.

S.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,323 ✭✭✭Slaphead07

style over substance.
    They look great, sound average (and sometimes awful) and are an absurd cost - I mean really absurd.
    What sort of kit were you thinking of? If it's TVs then I'd admit they are good but far too dear, consider Loewe as an alternative. If it's their AV speakers or amps then start running and don't look back! They are bad beyond words. I had a demo in a B&O shop recently and I nearly laughed out loud as the guy kept TELLING ME how great it sounded. He was either deaf or lying.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭Sparky

I found their setups to look nice to the eye. But I have to agree with Slaphead here.
    I found their speakers to be too basey.

People will pay money for a name.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,008 ✭✭✭rabbitinlights

This may sound condescending, but im not really looking for info gained from a demo, Im looking for info from people who haved owned some B&O kit.

After speaking to people who have actually owned some, Ive heard nothing but great things, this maybe because they are trying to validate the cost, but im still not convinced?

The reason im asking is I have been put forward for a job working in a Bang & Olufsen store here in Melbourne, I know a bit about them but id like to hear from people who have owned some products, about customer service etc?

Thanks
    S.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

condascending? not at all..however do you really think you are going to get a subjective opinion from someone who has spent all that money? hardly. I'll applaud the person who posts that they spent that much money but it was a waste..

you asked what people thought of their stuff...if what you really want to know is what their customer service is like that's a different matter

This may sound condescending, but im not really looking for info gained from a demo, Im looking for info from people who haved owned some B&O kit.....The reason im asking is I have been put forward for a job working in a Bang & Olufsen store here in Melbourne

That's not condescending at all but you could have been clearer from the start... it would be hard to sell B&O kit to a genuine HiFi geek, the quality just isn't there. However if you're selling it as a lifestyle product then it's quite an easy sell.
    As hinted at before I can see how people would think their B&O TV was really good - they are, but their "hifi" and AV stuff is terrible and I suspect buyers are simply justifiying the purchase to themselves.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

Personally, I think the designs of some of their products are fantastic.

My aunt still has a beocentre which is 20+ years old now, and to its credit, still looks modern and still works perfectly.

I would much much much rather have any B+O products than any bose systems.

L.

nereid wrote:

My aunt still has a beocentre which is 20+ years old now, and to its credit, still looks modern and still works perfectly.
    Exactly. Of course you're damning with faint praise there.... the designs are amazing... but do they do the job the were intended to do? Rarely.

nereid wrote:

I would much much much rather have any B+O products than any bose systems.

L.

you'd take bad over very very bad then..hardly surprising. Bose is not a fair comparison for anything audio..all marketing, no substance behind it..hey maybe they are right for b+O then

Slaphead07 wrote:
    but do they do the job the were intended to do?

Would you agree or disagree with me if I put it to you that what they were intended to do was to act as a piece of design art? with the side benifit of making some noise?

A bit like a PS3 really, you know, a cheap Blue Ray player that happens to play some games?

[quote=mossym[]you'd take bad over very very bad then..hardly surprising...[/quote]

erm, what are you implying?

All I said, was that given a direct choice between these two brands I know which one I would go for.

I never said anything about actually buying anything for myself from these companies. I merely pointed out that for some people there might be characteristics of B+O products that certainly do appeal.

But then, it's hardly surprising that you couldn't see this because you appear to be so determinedly against these companies that you fail to see any aspects of them that might happen to appeal to people other than yourself.

hardly surprising.

L.

nereid wrote:
    Would you agree or disagree with me if I put it to you that what they were intended to do was to act as a piece of design art? with the side benifit of making some noise?
    Oh I'd agree with you... more or less. B&O are better than midi systems produced by Phillips, Pioneer, Sony etc but still not real HiFi whereas they charge real HiFi prices.

I think as a piece of design a B&O hifi is incredible, their speakers are feckin' gorgeous! But they just don't sound all that good.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,174 ✭✭✭mathias

Back in the days before readily available internet access , when all you had to go on was marketing hype , I got suckered into a bang and olufsen system , I did my best to convince myself I hadnt been ripped off , even though I was never happy with it , until I heard a cheap entry level Harmon Kardon and a marantz cd32 blow it out of the water , at approximately one third the price I paid. There was no excusing it then. It was really bad and it showed.

If you want nice ornaments for the sitting room , then buy nice ornaments , it you want music , bang and olufsen are the absolute pits, and suck big time.
    Closely followed by Bose , never trust anything exclusively advertised in Junk Mail !!

nereid wrote:

A bit like a PS3 really, you know, a cheap Blue Ray player that happens to play some games?

erm, what are you implying?

All I said, was that given a direct choice between these two brands I know which one I would go for.

I never said anything about actually buying anything for myself from these companies. I merely pointed out that for some people there might be characteristics of B+O products that certainly do appeal.

But then, it's hardly surprising that you couldn't see this because you appear to be so determinedly against these companies that you fail to see any aspects of them that might happen to appeal to people other than yourself.

hardly surprising.

L.

sigh...calm down...i'm sure there are features that appeal..with B+O they are definitely more for people who want something that looks classy..and in tat regards they are superb...but for audio characteristics, my point was that b+o although not worth the money they charge for their audio performance alone, are still way ahead of bose..so i wouldn't be surprised anyone would take b+o over bose...i'd take b+o over bose anyday, if they were the choices available..

so in fact i was implying exactly what you were saying, take b+o over bose anyday..why you felt the need to get up on your soapbox i don't know, but i hope you enjoyed the rant..even though i was agreeing with you in the first place

mossym wrote:
    sigh...calm down...

but i hope you enjoyed the rant..even though i was agreeing with you in the first place

Cheers Boss, Sorry about that. I may have misinterpreted your comments in a slightly different slant than was intended. :o

nay worries..i'm not easily offended..:D

Advertisement