Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Not accepted onto the H.Dip

• 02-04-2007 2:54pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭

What is the best way of getting it next year?
    getting work experience, doing a masters or other PG courses?

I dont fancy getting rejected next year again!!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 86 ✭✭pwee

well an ma will get you 6 points. How many points are u short? It can be hard to rack up points from teaching.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,633 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

AFAIK you can get points for some teaching experience i.e. subbing etc also but think its from this current year you can put down. One thing I must say is this type of knockbacks is very common place in the profession with jobs etc so think hard about the realities as the Dip course is wayyyyyyyyyyyyyy over subscribed

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭#15

I only got 56% in my 2nd year exams, which is what they were judging me on.
    I'm on track for a score of 64% in my finals- I've done half of them already.
    Would that be enough to secure a place next year?
    I will do a masters next year but I know that I cant use that until the following year:mad: :mad: :mad:

I should have done a concurrent course straight after the LC!!!
    Far less hassle!!!

I dunno! 64% would get you 41 points(not everyone on this score got in) which would have gotten you into nuig and ucd dis year. but you never know, i am presuming u dont have a business degree(its a lot more points). if you didn't do the ma and subbed for 50 hours from sept to the 1st of dec that would get you a point which would help or go to the uk. go to www.pac.ie for more info on irishdip.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,277 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

As a serving teacher of many a year, it is really disheartening to see future teachers being selected on points and grades rather than ability.

As I have said before, some of the best and most inspiring teachers I have ever worked alongside and been taught by had a bare pass degree. It's about how effectively you can pass on knowledge and skills and a love of learning, not what marks you got on tests.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,633 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

And remember, we all thought we knew everything when we first went teaching and we did, just not about teaching..... Its sad its gotten to this stage, they should cut the ass out of the number of places and allow entry by interview.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 703 ✭✭✭Filan

As someone who completed the H.Dip a few years I must admit that the selection system does not result in the correct candidates being successful. Knowledge of a subject does not necessarily translate into any teaching aptitude. This is in effect how you were judged, on your academic performance so far within your degree, very wrong. There is brilliant teachers who were not outstanding students themselves...but they are great communicators with strong inter-personal skills....very few degree grades will demonstrate this ability. Hate to stereotype, but for simplicity there is 'nerds' (at times myself!) receive great grades but would never be capable teachers. I received a high quality degree but at the time was totally unsuited to teaching despite my excellent subject knowledge. I somehow passed but I was very, very poor. Id like to think I have improved since!

Ger Hartman, world renowned Physiotherapsit would not have received the points to do Physiotherapy under the Irish system. He debunked to The United States!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,376 ✭✭✭gaeilgegrinds

R.E. Masters, the points can not be added until after completion of the course so that would not entitle you to use the points next year unfortunately. You can add the points for working in a school so I suggest you offer to coach a team and take any subbing going, my friend did that and ended up teaching for 6 weeks straight cos the teacher put his back out. Just beware of the M.A. r.e. points though, I know a lot of people who have been stung by that but I suppose it makes sense, you can hardly be awarded the points until you have completed the course!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 994 ✭✭✭mental07

I know someone who applied for the H Dip but was rejected, the following year he subbed in a local school, reapplied and got 2 offers.

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭eddiej

Hi all,

Very new to this am in current job but dont really like it its a management one. Did Ag sci and have taught it for the last 4 years to students outside school and really enjoy so thinking that might like to pursue it full time. To get the HDip do you just have to meet these magic points or is there an interview aswell. With academic qualifications I have 55 points is that enough or am I buggered without teaching experience.

Eddie

• Advertisement

jasus!! 55 will walk the dip. Are you sure you have 55? If i had 55 from my degree i would do a phd.

pwee wrote:
    jasus!! 55 will walk the dip. Are you sure you have 55? If i had 55 from my degree i would do a phd.

That 55 includes 10 for a PhD not all its cracked up to be limits what you can do and to be honest a rewarding job really is far better as i am learning to my detrement. Wont be able to think about applying till Dec 08 given financial situation. Does age matter I would be 30 by Sept 09 seems ages away but thats life.

No age limit on the dip. Ag would be a pretty decent one to have, okay there will be probaly be only one teacher per school but if you got a job you would be ex-qouta( if school numbers drop you would not lose your job as you are teaching a subject that would not be available if you lost your job)

Thanks Pwee for that have to just keep teaching those classes outside of school and seee how things go.

Advertisement