Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Cure for Squeaking brakes??

Options
  • 02-04-2007 3:13pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 20

Hello all,

Anyone got a cure for squeaky brakes? Thecar is a 00 Avensis and the rear brakes squeak on braking. Anytime the car is at the garage I have the dust blown out but its not long before the squeak is back. The pads aren't fully worn. I've heard copper grease on the backing of the pads would stop it. Is this correct? All solution welcome
    Also if I replace the pads myself can the pistons be pushed back by hand or are they the windy type?

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭rebel.ranter

Copper grease is the solution. Be careful only to get it on the back of the pads, no where near the front of the pads or discs. Not sure what type the pistons are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 94 ✭✭bjmotors

LabratCN wrote:
    Hello all,

Anyone got a cure for squeaky brakes? Thecar is a 00 Avensis and the rear brakes squeak on braking. Anytime the car is at the garage I have the dust blown out but its not long before the squeak is back. The pads aren't fully worn. I've heard copper grease on the backing of the pads would stop it. Is this correct? All solution welcome
    Also if I replace the pads myself can the pistons be pushed back by hand or are they the windy type?

Cheers

I have the same problem with my Integra. Dunno about the copper grease but it cud be a quick fix. Mite try that myself:)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

Yep - copper grease all the way. If that doesn't work you may need to chamfer the pads. Sometimes a lip on the disc can lead to squealing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭Mc-BigE

its called anti-squeal compound, halfords or any motor factor should have it:

heres an example:

http://m3.madrussian.net/diy_front_brake_pads.shtml

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,347 ✭✭✭legs11

you can buy that break compound in a moto factors, blue gunk slap it onto the break discs (sparingly)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

legs11 wrote:
    you can buy that break compound in a moto factors, blue gunk slap it onto the break discs (sparingly)

I haven't used the blue gunk - but do you actually put in on the discs? Surely it is applied to the backing plate of the pad. I've never heard of anything that is put directly onto the braking surface. I'd read the instructions carefully.......

• Registered Users Posts: 2,314 ✭✭✭Marcus.Aurelius

earplugs

• Registered Users Posts: 51,239 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

I had this problem on my car a couple of months ago when I had new front pads fitted. Copper grease sorted the problem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 LabratCN

Cheers-Thanks for thew replies

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement