Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Good hearted Quinn?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,251 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

Gillie wrote:
    Apologies if this was already posted:
    From bbc.co.uk

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/england/wear/6517635.stm

Fairly decent of him?

Not really. He used the club's money. Nothing from his own pocket.

Nice gesture for a chairman though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭SectionF

Quinn clearly has a massive promotion budget, essentially to build a fanbase from next to, er, nowt.
    He had to pull some sort of nice-guy, halo-polishing stunt to offset the PR disaster of his manager's bitter, jealous attack on Shay Given.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭Rollo Tamasi

Gillie wrote:

Fairly decent of him?

Indeed, very nice gesture. Couldn't see many other chairmen doing something similar.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭GuanYin

SectionF wrote:
    essentially to build a fanbase from next to, er, nowt.
    You are joking, right? Sunderland has a bigger fanbase than half the premiership clubs - probably one of the biggest in English soccer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

SectionF wrote:
    Quinn clearly has a massive promotion budget, essentially to build a fanbase from next to, er, nowt.

Eh?

Sunderland have a large support base anyway, which explains them having a 48k capacity stadium.

They've the highest average attendance figures in the Championship (but one of the lower % due to their large stadium) and get more bums on seats than 9 PL sides.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,098 ✭✭✭andrew1977

Nice gesture all the same to bale the supporters out, although i doubt too if its from his own pocket.. would love to see his expense claim for this month..nicely sneaked in and wrote off against tax

What a support Sunderland now have, well the always did have a huge support and deserve a bit of good fortune to go back up .
    They always seem to back their team even in the dark days of when they were rooted to the premiership table.

Another rematch of Mc Carthy V Keane this weekend i think, even better whats the chances of the 2 of them meeting in the play off final ,

Eh?

Sunderland have a large support base anyway, which explains them having a 48k capacity stadium.

They've the highest average attendance figures in the Championship (but one of the lower % due to their large stadium) and get more bums on seats than 9 PL sides.
    Didn't it crash when they went down?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,079 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

SectionF wrote:

Their home league attendance average is 30,576 for this season. Not too shabby really!

Lowest league attendance this year is 24,242 (nice symetrical number!)

Highest league attendance this year is 40,116

So overall, no their support is pretty spectacular still.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2006-07_Season_for_Sunderland_A.F.C.#Attendance

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭Rollo Tamasi

Did Man City get 40,000 + into one of their games while in 2nd Division?
    Another rematch of Mc Carthy V Keane this weekend i think, even better whats the chances of the 2 of them meeting in the play off final

Personally i wouldn't be too fond of that. This Keane/McCarthy thing has had its day already this season. Think about the childern.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,066 ✭✭✭BKtje

far play to him, even if it does come out of the clubs coffers!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,480 ✭✭✭✭cson

Sunderland have a huge fanbase. They've got permission to extend the Stadium of Light to 72,000 if they want to as well. The north-eastern english clubs are very well supported, it's like a religion in Newcastle, they regularly pull in the 52,000 needed to fill St James.

SectionF wrote:

Dropped by a little over 5k. Most relegated sides experience a fall in attendance, Brum lost 5.5k (approx) and WBA lost a little under 5k on last years PL figures.

Rebel, that wiki article is a little off. Most up to date:

http://itv.stats.football365.com/dom/ENG/D1/attend.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,212 ✭✭✭MrPillowTalk

SectionF wrote:
    He had to pull some sort of nice-guy, halo-polishing stunt to offset the PR disaster of his manager's bitter, jealous attack on Shay Given.

You should really exhibit at least the smallest bit of knowledge when posting on a topic. They get near 30k most weeks, and thats in the championship.

And do you really think there is any "pr disaster" regarding Keanes comments? If I were a sunderland fan and witnessed Keane bring the club from bottom of the league to the brink of promotion, then he could wear a dress on the touchline and talk about being a member of the Ku Klux Klan in press conferences and I wouldnt give a monkeys as long as he got us up.

What exactly would Keane be jealous of Given for? Cos Given has more medals? eh no.

I'd like to think that SectionF wasn't indulging in mild trolling about Keane/Given. Maybe not. I don't really care.

Best let it drop and stay on topic please folks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

~Rebel~ wrote:
    Their home league attendance average is 30,576 for this season. Not too shabby really!

Lowest league attendance this year is 24,242 (nice symetrical number!)

Highest league attendance this year is 40,116

So overall, no their support is pretty spectacular still.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2006-07_Season_for_Sunderland_A.F.C.#Attendance

Wikipedia is also not a reliable source, any tool can go in and edit the stats and leave it at that. I remember it said Roman Abramovich was a striker for Spartak Moscow!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,079 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

fair enough, i know idiots can go on and change stuff, but i figured for something as small as this it was grand. Basically it just showed that Sunderland do have decent support, i wasnt too worried about the numbers, just some sort of validation of what i already knew, that the Stadium of Light still gets pretty decent crowds.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,283 ✭✭✭gucci

fair play to him, regardless of who's money it was to use, i wonder would ambramovich with all his cash do the same. would ahve made more economic sense if he hired a few buses instead of taxi's :) not good for a chairman to be so careless with his money

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,881 ✭✭✭bohsman

12k to get front page of the tabloids in Ireland is money well spent.

You should really exhibit at least the smallest bit of knowledge when posting on a topic. They get near 30k most weeks, and thats in the championship.

And do you really think there is any "pr disaster" regarding Keanes comments? If I were a sunderland fan and witnessed Keane bring the club from bottom of the league to the brink of promotion, then he could wear a dress on the touchline and talk about being a member of the Ku Klux Klan in press conferences and I wouldnt give a monkeys as long as he got us up.

What exactly would Keane be jealous of Given for? Cos Given has more medals? eh no.

I got the Sunderland numbers wrong, because I posted in haste, and I'm happy to admit it. Fair play to Sunderland folk for supporting their local club. The average figure for 05/06 is 33,094, and the trend is up. (Political Economy of Football)

Nevertheless, I do think that Keane's outburst against Given (who is still playing for his country, and happily) was seriously misjudged, and that it has and will lose him a lot of sympathy.

And I agree that, in anyone's marketing budget, 12k is peanuts for the level of positive publicity Quinn's got. Put that in the context of SundIreland's massive PR charm offensive in Ireland alone and I think it's perfectly reasonable to conclude that it's money well spent. Quinn is a marketing boss's dream.

PS: I can see how some might disagree with that, but TBH I'm mystified how it can be considered trolling, mild or otherwise.

Just wondering, did that £8k come out of the massive promotion budget you mentioned earlier, or have you backtracked on that now that know Sunderland have a large fanbase already?

I see Bohs have extended their Kids Go Free scheme to include Rovers fans for tonight's game. Clever marketing?

• Advertisement

Clever marketing tonight? Probably not, if theres trouble itll be a major turn off for families who do go.

What 8k? I'm not sure what your point is.
    Clever marketing? It seemed to work.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,640 ✭✭✭Gillie

Personally i wouldn't be too fond of that. This Keane/McCarthy thing has had its day already this season. Think about the childern.
    Quite an important game actually:

P GD PTS
    1 Derby
    40 16 76
    2 Birmingham
    39 23 74
    3 Sunderland
    40 22 73
    4 Preston
    39 14 68
    5 West Brom
    40 21 67
    6 Wolves
    40 -2 66

Still plenty to play for!

SectionF wrote:
    What 8k? I'm not sure what your point is.

The £8,000 Quinn spent on the taxi fleet. You did read the link posted by the OP, right?
    Section F wrote:

Now that we've established Sunderland already have a sizable fanbase, I was wondering do you still think Quinn was using his "massive promotion budget" to bail out the stranded Mackems fans?

The £8,000 Quinn spent on the taxi fleet. You did read the link posted by the OP, right?

Now that we've established Sunderland already have a sizable fanbase, I was wondering do you still think Quinn was using his "massive promotion budget" to bail out the stranded Mackems fans?
    Oh, I see. I didn't read the link, because I'd already read a story on it somewhere else. Hope that's OK. The rest of the thread referenced 12k.
    I think I made it clear that I still think Quinn's magnanimous gesture will come out of his promotion budget, which I do think is massive, considering his activities in wooing Irish hacks to date. Are you saying he/his club haven't got a massive promotion budget, and that he paid it out of his own pocket?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭shane86

On the subject of Quinns genorisity, didnt Dunphy claim that all of Quinns trips to kids hospitals were for the cameras, and that Roy does just as many but hates when the media turns up? :D

"pfft, Bill, everyone lknows it was Roy Keanes money that got the fans home. He refused to take credit for it, so in stepped Quinn....." *further ad nauseaum waffle*

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

shane86 wrote:
    On the subject of Quinns genorisity, didnt Dunphy claim that all of Quinns trips to kids hospitals were for the cameras, and that Roy does just as many but hates when the media turns up? :D

"pfft, Bill, everyone lknows it was Roy Keanes money that got the fans home. He refused to take credit for it, so in stepped Quinn....." *further ad nauseaum waffle*
    "There were no taxis, Roy Keane personally drove the fans home himself Bill"

SectionF wrote:
    Are you saying he/his club haven't got a massive promotion budget, and that he paid it out of his own pocket?

No, I know he paid for it out of club funds. I read the OPs link.

I'll quote the relevant bit for you:
    Quinn, who used the club's money to pay for the taxis, stayed to make sure everyone was safe before getting in the last taxi, arriving home on Sunday morning.

As for a "massive promotion fund"? I can't say exactly how much is set aside in the club's budget for promotional work, nor can I say for certain that the £8k Quinn used will come from that fund. What I do know is that every football club is in the business of trying to woo supporters. Some choose little gestures like Quinn's, others make efforts to attract families to their big games...

Spurs gave out a large number of free tickets to schoolkids for our UEFA Cup clash with Bucharest last December when we failed to sell the game out, great bit of PR when you consider the seats would have been empty anyway. We've set aside £4.5m in charity donations for the local area quite recently, which is

1. Tax deductible
    2. Looks great when we submit our next planning application for training facilities/extending WHL.

Shamrock Rovers pointed to their underage setup in Tallaght as a positive thing when they were fighing the PR war against the GAA recently.

Every club does it, you're just more cynical towards Quinn/Keane/Sundireland because they committed the cardinal sin...investing in them across the water. Maybe the domestic soccer community isn't so different from the GAA after all?

Every club does it, you're just more cynical towards Quinn/Keane/Sundireland because they committed the cardinal sin...investing in them across the water. Maybe the domestic soccer community isn't so different from the GAA after all?
    I think I would describe it as being sceptical rather than cynical.
    I'm at a loss as to how you figure this has anything to do with GAA. If you are saying that I am anti English football, then I suppose I'll have to trot out my old Leeds-till-I-die script for you again. But I would have thought that Irish fans would have a little more nous than to fall for the SundIreland-as-Celtic-in-England package.

• Advertisement

The fact that a host of irish players play for them and the chairman and manager are irish is what gives me an interest in the club which i didn't have before. Don't see why this is a bad thing or why some people seem to think it is?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,323 ✭✭✭Savman

I cannot understand why anyone has anything to comment on this issue, other than to say "fair play".
    Massive promotion budget?!?! Yer havin a laff! Probably something to do with the balloon payments they got (probably still get) from the Premier League last year. And even still, who cares. He got the fans home and they will love him for it.

Earlier this season Randy Lerner paid almost £20k to provide free coaches for Villa fans to the Carling Cup game down in Chelsea, then home again afterwards. It went down a storm with the fans and he will be long remembered, personally I dont see what the bloody problem is with gestures like this. It's class.

B-K-DzR wrote:
    The fact that a host of irish players play for them and the chairman and manager are irish is what gives me an interest in the club which i didn't have before. Don't see why this is a bad thing or why some people seem to think it is?

There are a couple of clubs in Ireland with a few Irish players and Irish chairmen, its strange that people will hop on these bandwagons in England even at low levels while completely ignoring whats on their own doorstep.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

bohsman wrote:
    There are a couple of clubs in Ireland with a few Irish players and Irish chairmen, its strange that people will hop on these bandwagons in England even at low levels while completely ignoring whats on their own doorstep.

Considering Pats are quite obviously better than all of them!!!!!

SectionF is correct sort off the attd for Sunderland have dropped hugely hence Quinn going round pubs trying to get fans back, they had got a losing of 29 games or something. Mc Carthy got them up but couldnt get the fans back in only for huge games did they show and now Keane getting them all back.

kdjac

• Closed Accounts Posts: 460 ✭✭dcarroll

Niall Quinn's disco pants are the best
    They go up from his arse to his chest
    They're better than Adam and the Ants
    Niall Quinn's disco pants

More than a couple i'd say and while i used to frequent rovers games back when they played in the RDS it never gripped me. Still point taken but i still don't see why people are jumping all over this.
    As Savman said, i don't see why anything is being said other than fair play.

• Advertisement

Video of Quinn's Bristol Airport Braveheart Impression is on the Sunderland Echo website.

Linkie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 460 ✭✭dcarroll

Sung by Sunderland fans at the weekend
    "Niall Quinns taxi cabs are the best,
    so shove it up your arse easyjet,
    fat freddie wouldnt do it for the mags,
    Niall Quinns taxi cabs"

legend

Advertisement