Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Walking a fine line

Options
  • 02-04-2007 4:09pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 193 ✭✭

Anyone spot the two teenage boys making their way up the back wall from Superquinn ? I am in the second last phase of the Park, and spotted them strolling along the top of the wall , it was around 3.30 pm today - I was upstairs and they were over the horizon before I got a chance to question them.

Even if it was mid-term boredom, take up stamp collecting boys - not happy about anyone strolling over my back wall. Nor have I any intention of funding hospital bills should one of them fall off.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭Liam81

Funny you should say that. Not sure if they were the same lads but I was in Superquinn today and there were 2 youngfellas (about 14?) charging around the shop and shouting and knocking things over. The managers threw them out and they proceeded to scream and shout outside. They seemed like they were looking for trouble.:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 14,942 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

theres a bunch of lads who've been using the superquinn carpark to practise parkour - climbing the wall, walking across the entrance barrier etc. Maybe the same guys?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 193 ✭✭Maisy

Could be either parties indeed - whoever they are, they can take themselves off elsewhere ! Perhaps their own homes ?! - now there's an idea !!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 637 ✭✭✭Hammiepeters

Hope they dont parkour on their little heads

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭Sparks115

I think the guys that do the boucing around in the car park are innocent enough and pleasent fellas in fact I am jealous of the way they throw themselves around and dont break anything!!. There is another small group of 2 or 3 young fellas however though that I have had to tell off a couple of times when I saw them messing in the grounds of the Creche near Superquinn and told them to leave and they were as brasin. They are rough looking and always up to no good so it wouldnt suprise me if they were the ones. They arent from Charlesland as I saw the police telling them off before and they headed off by the stream red faced and their tails between their legs. Bored youngsters getting a kick out of walking on walls will probably end up one of them with a fall soon enough and that will be the end of it....( I promise I wont push them ;) )

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,343 ✭✭✭red_bairn

Is that skate park not open for em yet? They also have the football there. I don't see the point of them messing around like that when they have so many choices of activities around Greystones for them. I can't say much though as I was once in their shoes. Making trouble for the elderly and sort.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 380 ✭✭future_plans

Are they bored? Poor lads. Greystones is a pretty rough and mean place to be brought up in. What with all the sports facilities and clubs on their doorstep, etc. And skate park kindly provided by the council? And a swimming pool on the way? The poor lads should be brought over to Jobstown or somewhere to let the kids there know of their woes. It's a hard life for them alright. :D My heart bleeds!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 115 ✭✭The Yipper

INCH wrote:
    Bored youngsters getting a kick out of walking on walls will probably end up one of them with a fall soon enough and that will be the end of it....( I promise I wont push them ;) )

I've seen them alright...on a couple of occasions. Unfortunately I didn't have a camcorder with me....I believe there's good money to be made having a laugh at others misfortunes!!!

the skate park is still under construction - hasn't stop some skaters from using it already though.

on a related topic, any parents here think the playground up there is ridiculously under-equipped? There's more park benches in there than there is pieces of play equipment. Its nice to have a playground nearby, but it seems a missed opportunity.

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭luapenak

INCH wrote:
    They are rough looking and always up to no good so it wouldnt suprise me if they were the ones.
    it would surprise me. i doubt these guys should be associated with doing parkour, rather they are just idiots or "kn***ers" (if there the same guys who were charging around inside superquinn). The only people i know who do parkour in greystones are generally older than 14 and arent vandals or whatever. There of plenty of decent teenagers who have been into parkour at various stages and i dont believe they should be associated with the people being refered to on this thread.
    It far enough if there just stupid characters, to be making comments about them falling on there "little heads". But the looks got from people and comments from the gardi are unneccesary when it comes to people who actually in to parkour. Obviously there are risks like any sport, possibly greater than a lot of conventional sports. Ive only ever seen bumps and bruises with people doing parkourin greystones as oposed to the countless broken bones i see people getting in skateboarding,bmxing,football, rugby etc...
    "Is that skate park not open for em yet?"
    I dont see what a skatepark has do with guys jumping around on walls. Although one does see plenty of little kids go up there with there parents and climb around on the ramps (for some crazy reason as there is a playground beside it). Other facilities dont matter. If you find jumping around on walls exciting, why would you resort to doing something you find less exciting.

"Unfortunately I didn't have a camcorder with me....I believe there's good money to be made having a laugh at others misfortunes!!! "
    yea seriously thats a good idea. ive seen some fairly hilarious falls that i only wish i had on camera. The only thing is you would want to be a child if your filming children, otherwise people think bad things.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭anniec

loyatemu wrote:
    the skate park is still under construction - hasn't stop some skaters from using it already though.

on a related topic, any parents here think the playground up there is ridiculously under-equipped? There's more park benches in there than there is pieces of play equipment. Its nice to have a playground nearby, but it seems a missed opportunity.

I would agree however Im sure the insurance would go through the roof! good idea though the nearest decent playground is beside script

anniec wrote:
    I would agree however Im sure the insurance would go through the roof! good idea though the nearest decent playground is beside script

I don't see why the insurance would go through the roof. The playground is already there - there's just not enough stuff in it. There's plenty of empty space too.

I might write to the council, but as Zapi funded the whole shebang, I doubt the council will want to put any of their own money into it.

I was down in the kids park the other day with my sisters 2 children and really it is so small for the amount of children now in the area and not enough swings or slides or adventure climbers. I f any of you have ever seen the one up by Mount Merrion where The furniture shop is it is amazing. I dont whos money was invested in it but it really is a credit to the area and alot of thought went into it. Maybe if the parents of Greystones got together with the council a much better or developed play area for children could be developed.:D

haven't seen the one in Merrion, but there is an amazing huge playground in Cabinteely park. Well worth driving to.

Charlesland playground contains:
    2 swings
    1 slide
    1 seesaw
    1 roundabout
    1 rope climbing frame
    7 park benches.

easily enough room there for some more swings and a proper climbing frame (like the ones at the south beach).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭anniec

Just roared at the kids on my back wall! I told them it was private property and they just told me they were walking the wall! I told them it was obvious!!!! and then was told to F off! lovely! I think they approx 10 and 13 and bored if I see them or their parents I will be having words the drop down into my garden is about 8 foot

They're obviously little knackers from the Burnaby area. I wonder what happened to that Youth Club that started up a few years ago which wasn't a real success when i was in it. I think they should start up one with proper funding and have it associated witht the Greystones swimming pool/sports facility. These kids probably havent got much money on em and need something cheap. Perhaps youth clubs are the way to go...?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 193 ✭✭Maisy

Pity I didn't catch them today - I'd like that chance to put it to them that if they are desperate for a little trespassing, might I suggest they instead knock on their immediate neighbours door and ask to tramp around the living room - surely their neighbour will be even more accomodating, based on the expectation they have of total strangers - sorted !

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭Wineman

according to the newsletter sent by the Court Residents Assoc. there are plans by the developers to put a new playground in the main green park along the spine road. It may be an idea to lobby the respective residents associations to have an input into the final design of this playground. If it were anything like the excellent Cabinteely/Merrion playgrounds it would be a fantastic local amenity and would add a bit of life and activity to that huge green area.

Good idea Wineman. If we can get all the residents associations together from Charlesland and even Eden Gate maybe we could push for a bigger better childrens park in the immediate area.

Perhaps you could also get any friends together that have an eye for design to help out and give advice to the engineers that are involved...?

• Advertisement

Maybe anyone interested in giving an opinion could email the residents assoc and give them their thoughts on the playground, then the Res Assoc may pass them onto the developers or at least let them know that the quality of any proposed playground must be superior to that of the facility in the Charlesland Sports Centre which is very basic.

mailto:charleslandcourt@hotmail.com or your respective res assoc

Apparently when they were designing Cabinteely park they asked local schoolkids to submit their ideas for what it should be like.

Wineman wrote:
    according to the newsletter sent by the Court Residents Assoc. there are plans by the developers to put a new playground in the main green park along the spine road. It may be an idea to lobby the respective residents associations to have an input into the final design of this playground. If it were anything like the excellent Cabinteely/Merrion playgrounds it would be a fantastic local amenity and would add a bit of life and activity to that huge green area.

good idea, but terrible location. Its a long narrow green with a road on either side.

Either they should expand the existing playground at the recreation centre (there's parking, security etc already there) or maybe they could put it on the green area between Charlesland Wood and the stream, but nearby residents might not like that (playgrounds tend to attract loitering teenagers in the evenings)

You are dead right, there is a lot of traffic up and down that spine road ( sometimes at ridiculous speeds ) so it would be unsafe for kids, the park you suggest over by the stream would be perfect. As far as I know the developers are erecting a permanant fence along the stream due to unwanted visitors from Burnaby Lawns.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 637 ✭✭✭Hammiepeters

Would be nice if it happened. Might stop the scummy pikies from dumping in the stream, which seems to be a way of saving on garbage costs. its a pity as it is a nice stream. Has good stocks of trout, ducks and is visited by herons. The ''visitors'' aka ''carol singers'' will find a way through anyway. Wonder what ever happened to triky dicky roches spy ''rockcams''. They probably got lost along with his stance on management fees 12 months ago. Dont know about you guys, but I reckon he is one spanner of a minister.

Advertisement