Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Challenge

• 02-04-2007 4:21pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 281 ✭✭

Gents,

As another Good Friday approaches, that time of the year has come around again- the annual attempt at the 24 can challenge. Previous attempts have been thwarted by badly timed food, sleeping, starting too late, and female interference - but I and my colleagues have been training hard this year and feel it may be our year for success.. Has anyone ever accomplished this??

Saint

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 JimmySavlon

Is this where you have to drink 24 cans in 24 hours? Managed to hit 22 about 3 years ago on paddys day, alot harder then it sounds!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 281 ✭✭supersaint3

That's the one- very hard to finish!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 990 ✭✭✭galactus

What nobler an enterprise could there be? Surely drinking a full slab is a the act of a true patriot. Guh nyree on bothar leat!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,945 ✭✭✭trout

I am intrigued ... tell me, are there established rules for this challenge covering contentious areas such as spillage, pukage and soilage ... not to mention loss of consciousness ?

Where's Norris McWhirter when you need him ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 JimmySavlon

Lack of consciousness is acceptable, you have a full 24 hrs, at some stage your gonna doze off, in fact id recommend having a nap! The problem is waking up again!
    Pukage- yeah pukage is alright as well. It happens.
    Soilage- :eek: just make sure you have an understanding host!
    Spillage- unacceptable. Continued offences can lead to disqualification. Althought usually everyones too hammered to care or notice by the 8th can!

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

brothers 24 cans in 24 hours is not only possible but should be compulsary.Now..here's the rub..24 cans of st bernard piss-weak lager isnt the same as 24 cans of Stella.Nor is 24 cans or Guiness the same as 24 cans of Bulmers.There must be a level playing field here and as such i think that rules must be instituted to ensure fair play.For example,there should be a time handicap for any beverage under 4.2% ABV,likewise Guiness drinkers will not be permitted to do thier usual trick of savouring each mouthfull and saying "ahhr,isnt she grand".I for one would be in favour of permitting limitless visits to the bathroom provided they're counted against the time taken to finish the task.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

This is a fantastic concept and one I hope to put into play after my exams. Tell me brother degsy, if as a hypothetical I were to be drinking 3.8% smithwicks, what sort of handicap would you suggest? (I wouldn't be,cause I find it quite gassy, but still)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,676 ✭✭✭✭smashey

A fair challenge indeed. It should be noted that "tactical chunders" mean instant disqualification.

This is a fantastic concept and one I hope to put into play after my exams. Tell me brother degsy, if as a hypothetical I were to be drinking 3.8% smithwicks, what sort of handicap would you suggest? (I wouldn't be,cause I find it quite gassy, but still)

I'm a busy man,and obviously the neccesary rules and regulations would take time..i suppose if pushed i suggest a handicap of one minute for every point of alcohol below the acepted minimum of 4.2%

How does that sound to the brethern?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,945 ✭✭✭trout

smashey wrote:
    A fair challenge indeed. It should be noted that "tactical chunders" mean instant disqualification.

+1 for the Charter :)

arbitration may be required for genuinely unconfineable gutbursts, especially if other competitors get hit by the shrapnel.

• Advertisement

Tonight I scored for the first time in yonks. I hope that I can repeat this act on wednesday. I know this doesn't strictly fit into this thread but still I think it was worthy of mention considering my long duck.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,869 ✭✭✭Mahatma coat

well done brother Brian, a comendable event.

24 cans in 24 hours, hmm, I get close to that most evenins :D

right what size vessels are we talkin about here, 330ml, 375ml, 500ml ?

and what if some of the brethern not only rise to the challenge but, say for example like, manage to complete the required 24 cans in say 6 - 7 hours, not unfeasible for a man with a thirst, must they then sit and watch boozeless while their mates catch up or can they start inta the next slab

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,799 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Degsy wrote:
    I'm a busy man,and obviously the neccesary rules and regulations would take time..i suppose if pushed i suggest a handicap of one minute for every point of alcohol below the acepted minimum of 4.2%

How does that sound to the brethern?
    I would have thought that drinking Smithwicks would be a handicap in itself.
    If it was the last pint on God's own earth I would rather drink my own pìss.*

* Or Kylie's.**

** Preferably Kylie's.

Agreed.Likewise harp or Budweiser or ANY "Light" beer should be disallowed.

Degsy wrote:
    Agreed.Likewise harp or Budweiser or ANY "Light" beer should be disallowed.

Guinness only.

Now that would be one to watch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭Gillo

I have to work Good Friday, so I demand extra Kudo's for completing the challenge.
    Bonus kudo's for;
    A/ Being abusive to customers
    2/ Being abusive to staff member's not taking part
    C/ Getting other branches (of my company to take part)
    4/ Convincing said abused customers to join in the fun & games
    E/ Taking lunch (either breakfast roll or steak) as a picnic on the steps of a church

Super bonus kudo's for getting sacked as a result of said challenge

thinkin about havin a BARBEQUE and attemptin the challenge

get a bit of sacrelidge in aswell :D

thinkin about havin a BARBEQUE and attemptin the challenge

get a bit of sacrelidge in aswell :D

All back to your gaff so..slabs of beer at the ready!

I'd join in myself, but I'll be drinking creamy pints of stout. :p

if ya can make it here by friday - With own slab - brother, then yer welcome

im in Kedron in Brisbane.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,147 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

gillo wrote:
    I have to work Good Friday, so I demand extra Kudo's for completing the challenge.
    Bonus kudo's for;
    A/ Being abusive to customers
    2/ Being abusive to staff member's not taking part
    C/ Getting other branches (of my company to take part)
    4/ Convincing said abused customers to join in the fun & games
    E/ Taking lunch (either breakfast roll or steak) as a picnic on the steps of a church

Best list ever. Was this A,2,C,4,E thing intentional?

Too lazy to count & wasn't near the kitchen to get the missus to do it for him! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭matt-dublin

`fyi tesco today 24 cans of heineken or carlesberg for €21

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 610 ✭✭✭nialo

24 cans isnt a problem. bulmers. or strong bow. costly but easily do able in 12 hours.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 281 ✭✭supersaint3

`fyi tesco today 24 cans of heineken or carlesberg for €21

:eek: is it the 5% Carlsberg or the 4.3%?? Brothers you may consider this heresy but the five tastes like p1ss water - it can only be the full irish 4.3% for myself and the challenge attempt...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭matt-dublin

im not sure, dont drink carlesberg so didn't check....
    im heading for the ken's

Just back from the offy. I will be taking up this challenge but instead of cans 500ml bottles of Czech Pils (Staropramen).

Brothers, I need an official ruling on this. Will my attempt be ratified?

Gawd, Staropramen is a quality beer, but its what 5.6%? Also it seems to make people drunk quicker (not just me the lightweight, but heavy drinking polish friend of mine too) so while it'll definitely taste good I don't think you should have to get 24 bottles down you. I'd say twenty, but I'll leave it up so someone more mature and experienced.

5.5% methinks, I've never made it past 12 of them before!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,960 ✭✭✭DarkJager

Without a word of a lie, I managed to complete this awesome challenge 2 years ago on Stella Artois. Tried again last year but my competitor decided to throw in an hour of power and a centurion so I only made it to 18 before collapsing in a drunken mess :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,749 ✭✭✭tony 2 tone

right what size vessels are we talkin about here, 330ml, 375ml, 500ml ?
    What about 568ml cans? A pint can, have only found them once, but it was the greatest find ever. And it was Stella too.
    I dont know why you are asking brother, 500ml all the way, anything else is only fit for wimmin and the infirm. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭scojones

I've done 20 cans in 24 hours, that was cans of bulmers. I'll try 24 pints in 24 hours this weekend seeing as I have a keg.

Advertisement