Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Frame Cracked!

Options
  • 02-04-2007 4:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭

Hi all... need some advice.

My bicycle started making the odd squeak last week. Today, I finally got round to checking out where the sound was coming from, thinking that something needed a bit of lube and found that the goddamn frame is cracked! :mad:

The crack almost rings the bit of tubing thats sticks up from the top bar where the seatpost slides in. By the looks of it, it wont last much longer. The crack is above where the frame is welded together, so if it does crack i'd be able to lift the saddle off and have a small piece of frame attached to the seatpost...

The frame is aluminium. Can it be repaired/welded? And if so where would i bring it?

Not too keen on having to buy a new frame... So whats to be done?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭crashoveroid

I would buy a new bike too risky to be on the old one

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,946 ✭✭✭BeardyGit

It's impossible to safely repair an aluminium frame that has cracked like that.

They are 'tempered' as part of the welding/construction process, and that's something that can't be redone after a repair weld. Within a matter of weeks, the crack would reappear right through the repair weld.

What kind of bike/frame, and what size?

Gil

• Closed Accounts Posts: 345 ✭✭Membrane

dalk wrote:
    Hi all... need some advice.

My bicycle started making the odd squeak last week. Today, I finally got round to checking out where the sound was coming from, thinking that something needed a bit of lube and found that the goddamn frame is cracked! :mad:

The crack almost rings the bit of tubing thats sticks up from the top bar where the seatpost slides in. By the looks of it, it wont last much longer. The crack is above where the frame is welded together, so if it does crack i'd be able to lift the saddle off and have a small piece of frame attached to the seatpost...

The frame is aluminium. Can it be repaired/welded? And if so where would i bring it?

Not too keen on having to buy a new frame... So whats to be done?

I'd write it off unless it is a very expensive frame. I once asked Cycleways if there was anywhere in Ireland you could get a frame welded, they referred me to the small adds in English bike magazines, but these welders are all UK based afaik.

• Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭t5pwr

As far as I know some bike frames have a guarantee against cracks where you can bring it back to the shop and they will replace the frame. It will have to be sent back though so you might have a bit of a wait.

Worth a try anyway. It depends on the make model and age.

• Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭Mucco

t5pwr wrote:
    As far as I know some bike frames have a guarantee against cracks

Sounds like your seatpost wasn't long enough, so a gaurantee might not hold. Worth a try though.

M

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭dalk

Thanks for the advice... I was thinking that aluminium isn't easily repaired.

The bikes a 2004 Dawes Discovery 701, so i'm *presuming* a standard road bike frame would make a suitable replacement, as the bike is more or less a racer with flat bars and slightly more upright riding position. I'm thinking along the lines of a winter training frame cause i like having proper mudguards, something like this? Any suggestions would be appreciated.
    t5pwr wrote:
    As far as I know some bike frames have a guarantee against cracks where you can bring it back to the shop and they will replace the frame. It will have to be sent back though so you might have a bit of a wait.

As for guarantee, from their website:

"Aluminium frame and rigid forks – 1 year from date of purchase."

..which doesn't impress me much.
    mucco wrote:
    Sounds like your seatpost wasn't long enough, so a gaurantee might not hold.

First thing i thought too, but i removed the seatpost and it wasn't even near max extension...

Actually if i want to move all the components from the old bike to a new frame it'll have to have the V-brake points, which brings it to hybrid territory I suppose...

• Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭Itsfixed

If you want v-brake mounts you could go the maxlight cyclo cross version or any cyclo cross frame. The angles on c-x frames are slightly more relaxed than a proper road bike, but there's little difference really. These frames can also take thicker tyres too. Better for touring too.

You could also try a steel frame - they're a wee bit heavier, but they're much more comfortable and last longer. They can also be repaired much more easily than a aluminum frame. Mind you, there are still no shops in Ireland i know off that would repair any frame, never mind a aluminium one. Plenty in the UK.

Planet-x do a great frame called a kaffenback

personally i love the colour, but others may not agree. I have the fixed gear version of it and can't recommend it highly enough, particularly for the price.

Make sure that whatever replacement frame you get has the same size of headset and bottom bracket shell and seatpost diameter so you don't ahve to fork out for any new components. this may not be possible though.

Thnx Itsafixed, the Kaffenback looks ideal. :D Gonna get in contact with Planet-X and see what the story is.

Everybody likes a happy ending....:)

After 3 weeks of public transport, i am back on 2 wheels again. Only component that couldn't be swapped over was the seatpost clamp. I decided to replace the chain and cassette, and splashed out on new XT v-brakes.

First proper cycle this morning and i have to say i like it. First impressions are that its more comfortable (less jarring) and better fitting than the aluminium frame it replaces. And its only ever so slightly heavier. So very happy with the frame. Plus it looks sweet. :D

Planet-X_Kaffenback.jpg

Thanks again Itsafixed for pointing me in the planet-x direction.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭Mucco

dalk wrote:
    Everybody likes a happy ending....:)

So very happy with the frame. Plus it looks sweet. :D

Thanks again Itsafixed for pointing me in the planet-x direction.

Looks very nice, but I'm surprised you weren't pointed in the direction of a fixie frame:
    bk1.jpg

Courtesy of hubjub.co.uk

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,731 ✭✭✭DadaKopf

I'm very interested in making my own fixed-gear bike for the laugh.

Where do I start?

Advertisement