Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Landcruiser SWB Commercial or Pajero Sport

Options
  • 02-04-2007 5:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭

I've been thinking about getting a 4WD for a while. I do a lot of watersports.

I'm looking at the SWB Landcruiser and the Pajero Sport. I'm tending towards the Landcruiser.

All the Landcruisers I am looking at are 100K plus (some around 120K). I presume this is not a problem for them and they will do 250-300K no problem?

I'm having trouble finding commercials. Although there is a lot of these vehicles on the road, there doesn't seem to be many on Carzone, Autotrader, CBG etc.

Is there something I am missing? Where is the main marketplace for commercials?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 73,454 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Pajero Sport is more similar to an L200 than a Pajero, not generally loved, lots more oversteer than Land Cruiser, and very little power.
    No better IMO than the cheaper Santa Fe.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭ballooba

SWB Pajero Vs SWB LandCruiser?

I won't be going for a Pinin anyway. I'm 6"5' so it would be a bit of a squeeze.

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭otis

Landcruiser's a far better bet than the Pajero, although the LWB L'cruiser has far better road manners than the SWB which tends to be a bit 'giddy'. Like all off-roaders, check underneath for signs of damage, also timing belt changes are critical.

I've had a '99 Landcruiser for 4 years now and apart from routine maintenance, tyres, servicing etc it hasn't put a foot wrong.

Have you decided a price for it yet? ;)
    (I sent you a PM a few weeks back)

LWB looks like a bit of a beast, for fuel economy, parking etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭otis

Got your PM - thanks. Still awaiting a suitable replacement (Disco 3).

LWB is not that difficult to manage, fuel economy is not that bad and reliability is superb.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 672 ✭✭✭dil999

theres a seperate "Commercials" tab on Carzone

Cool. I have a Passat to sell myself so it'll probably be a while.

There's a few LWB there on Carzone, not too many though. It might make more sense for carrying surfboards. I must go and test drive one this week. I test drove a Hilux Surf a few months back and it was the business.
    dil999 wrote:
    theres a seperate "Commercials" tab on Carzone
    Yeah, they're thin on the ground in there too for my budget.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,502 ✭✭✭✭fits

I had a friends swb 05 land cruiser for a couple of days last year, and did a lot of mileage in that time. I really found it uncomfortable to drive on long journeys for some reason. I found it 'giddy' on the road as someone else mentioned and just not nice to drive. Was also a passenger in a brand new one on a long journey last month (a lwb) and I had a sore back and bum at the end of it. I've never experienced such discomfort in another car, and I've driven complete bangers.
    Its a great workhorse, but it really is not comfortable as a driver or passenger. I'm also used to driving vans so the size wasnt the issue.

fits wrote:
    Was also a passenger in a brand new one on a long journey last month (a lwb) and I had a sore back and bum at the end of it. I've never experienced such discomfort in another car, and I've driven complete bangers.
    That doesn't sound good. Perhaps I should get a loan of one for a while to try it out.

Maybe its just me now. Owner of the lwb didnt like taking it on long journeys though either. Do you need something to tow? Or just carry surfboards?

Would you consider this? I'd love to try this one out myself.

http://www.usedcars.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=614373

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

Any 4x4 ...real 4x4 that is ...worthy of its name and off-road credentials has at least one, if not two solid axles.
    No new fangled double wishbones ...good old ox cart technology, in some cases even still with leaf springs

That, combined with a short wheelbase (also good for off-roading) does not allow for much comfort.

fits wrote:
    Maybe its just me now. Owner of the lwb didnt like taking it on long journeys though either. Do you need something to tow? Or just carry surfboards?
    Not much towing, but some. Horse box and box trailer.
    fits wrote:
    Would you consider this? I'd love to try this one out myself.

http://www.usedcars.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=614373
    About triple my budget.

ballooba wrote:
    Not much towing, but some. Horse box and box trailer.

About triple my budget.

:D

Horses and surfing are two pursuits I share with you...
    You are probably best sticking with something like a landcruiser or pajero then. Towing with an unsuitable vehicle is not fun.
    oh and btw, long wheel base vehicles are preferable for towing with.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

If you can get over the looks and the cheapskate image THIS could be an alternative.

The engine is a Merc licenced copy and pretty durable and easy to maintain and the vehicle itself is not too bad. Just make sure it hasn't been totally abused by the previous "budget conscious" owner.

fits wrote:
    Horses and surfing are two pursuits I share with you...
    You are probably best sticking with something like a landcruiser or pajero then.
    My brother has a pre-facelift passenger Disco for same. I think it's fairly rough. I don't like the look of it either.
    peasant wrote:
    If you can get over the looks and the cheapskate image THIS could be an alternative.
    I can't. Thanks for the link though. The first rule of (wind/)surfing is to look cool. ;)

Advertisement