Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Just heard - new increases in VRT??

Options
1234568»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

ninty9er wrote:
    I've said all I have to say on VRT so I'll get my coat (long overdue methinks):o

And now I'm at the front door and.......gone

• Registered Users Posts: 7,660 ✭✭✭maidhc

This tread is like the Joe Duffy show!

:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,579 ✭✭✭junkyard

ninty9er wrote:
    [
    And since everyone else is taking liberties with Fianna Fáil's name, I feel just as much within my rights to butcher Fine Gael's name, though you'll notice I haven't made a habit of it like some:mad:

Again it is not Ogra or ogra; it's Ógra. It's even in my sig!!

and no, I won't be drawn on the other issue so ask me AGAIN after the election, when, as perviously stated, I'll be more than happy to let you in on the research prospects!!

I hate all politicians not just the FF ones, but you have to admit ninty9er the FF ones are a breed apart. Never have I seen such a bunch of consistent liars and cheats who get supported by the rest of the clan when they get caught.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36 Meister

Ninteyniner, I applaud your decision to even debate the issue, as im sure most of your other colleagues know they are onto a looser.
    But surley you have to admit that with the current bunch in charge, its the closest thing to living in Germany since the 1940's. From Martin "its all about Waterford" Cullen, to Mick the "Minister for Cork". And Willy "make my day" O'Dea.

Vrt is a dead issue im afraid, as the average Joe punter does not know the sheer amount that they are being ripped off for, by the SS in charge. Led by Bertie from the Eagles Nest in Drumcondra, with all his Union mates.

Actually when you think about it its quite funny.:D :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,173 ✭✭✭overdriver

One rule for them, one for us. Imagine a leader of any other country being caught taking a "loan" of 50K when that was enough to buy a very nice family home, and getting away with it, signing blank cheques for his then leader to spend on what he wanted, ministers using state helicopters to open off-licences, McDowell ignoring planning laws on his own house, the list goes on and on. It makes issues like VRT seem very petty in comparison.

Can we lock 'er up now, while I still have a grip on my sanity, please?

• Advertisement

Meister wrote:

Vrt is a dead issue im afraid, as the average Joe punter does not know the sheer amount that they are being ripped off for

Try living in Spain. You will get income tax, wealth tax, local authority tax, the other tax, and more taxes. Your car will be cheaper though, and it would want to be since you won't have half the disposable income.

But the weather wuld be good enough to go around in a cabriolet, and the women are gorgeous. Kind of makes up for it a bit...:D

overdriver wrote:
    But the weather wuld be good enough to go around in a cabriolet, and the women are gorgeous. Kind of makes up for it a bit...:D

Damn right.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 92 ✭✭keitht

Hi all i drive a 99 mazda 323 1.9 tdi. does this mean my road tax will go up.

Thanks

all

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 2manyturbos

maidhc wrote:
    Nothing wrong with that. A business is a collection of people. The profits ultimately are remitted to people. The business may not pay VRT on its van, but the boss sure does on his BMW.

The man on the street would be drawing the dole if we did not have a vibrant economy. We are not entitled to this as of right, but must create the environment for it, if this means low taxes for business, nobody should have a difficulty with it. Even the greens have come to realise this!

I think you are misunderstanding what I said or representing it out of context.

That remark about one rule for private motorists and another for business use was said in the context of a proposed punitive increase in VRT for larger engined vehicles that will apparently be applied only to the private sector.

As this increase is being put forward on the pretext that it will reduce CO2 emissions, then any taxation changes that are genuinely aimed at reducing emissions must also embrace the business and commercial sectors, or else it is p-ing in the breeze and not a green tax at all.

I underlined "Do CO2 emissions from business use not count?" I'm not anti business. What I am against is dressing up tax increases as green and expecting us to swallow it like we are fools.

Your own point above totally illustrates my point:

<<The business may not pay VRT on its van, but the boss sure does on his BMW.>>

Like all businesses, there will be only one boss and only one boss's BMW to pay "green" VRT. However, it is very likely that there could be 5 to 50 or maybe more vans in the business, each doing 40 to 70K miles a year, and emitting plenty of CO2 in the process.

If it is a genuine effort to reduce CO2 emissions, then let all those who are adding to the emissions share the load of paying for it, or take an equal share of punitive measures to push for lower fuel consumption.

Don't push all the burden on private users, we don't emit all the CO2

I rest my case.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 430 ✭✭Bee

Excellent reply 2manyturbos

if the Gov were really serious about emissions and not just increasing stealth taxes they would seriously consider Nuclear power plants not just buy the Nuclear generated power from Britain.

I look forward to the election to put paid paid to crazy gov ideas

If it is a genuine effort to reduce CO2 emissions, then let all those who are adding to the emissions share the load of paying for it, or take an equal share of punitive measures to push for lower fuel consumption.

What are business going to do? Buy 1.0L Transits or just pass the cost on?

Business does pay a very high cost in terms of protecting the environment in other areas, e.g. IPPC licencing. Its all relative, and for the most part having 50 vans on the roads is necessary and not something which can be dissuaded by taxation.

Its grand to go on about sharing the tax burden so long as you realise the consumer will be paying all of it at the end of the day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 2manyturbos

maidhc wrote:
    What are business going to do? Buy 1.0L Transits or just pass the cost on?

Its grand to go on about sharing the tax burden so long as you realise the consumer will be paying all of it at the end of the day.

Yes, I agree, if the proportionate load of the cost for reducing consumption of fuel/CO2 was passed along to the commercial sector, very quickly they would look to using more efficient vehicles, and possibly monitor more closely the private mileage a lot of their drivers rack up that is not strictly for business use.

And I don't swallow the line that every penny of cost that is loaded on to road using businesses is passed directly to the consumer. In the North of Ireland and in England a Labour government is crucifying haulage with a far higher diesel cost than we pay here in the South. Yet I don't notice that articles in their shops and supermarkets are any dearer [relatively, taking currency into account] than they are here. And their postal service and courier services deliver for fractions of what can be arranged through an Irish outfit.

So the only real reason government is not currently contemplating putting an equitable load on the sector that is actually contributing the lion's share to the CO2 emissions quota, i.e. the transport and commercial sector, is down to one word.

Votes.

With the construction industry cooling down so fast we can see dry ice fog, no point in rocking other boats before the election. Just convince the fools in the private sector they are to blame for global warming [among other things] and everything will be all right.

It will seem to be till they get to my door looking for votes.

:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,423 ✭✭✭pburns

OK - what I want to know is (theoretically speaking, I don't have the stats in front of me):

if a 2.2 litre Accord diesel has lower CO2 emmisions than a 1.9 Passat bogmobile will the VRT be lower? I've no problem with paying VRT TBH as long as it's fairer than the current system which is based purely on engine size...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36 Meister

Hi Men, slightly off topic, but this seems the only vrt thread alive.
    I know a guy who has just bought a new top of the range Merc in th Uk and as motoring around in it on UK plates...and says he is not going to re-reg here (yes in the Republic, and far south of the country). He has a business here with a sister business in the UK, which he is director/owner of, but he is Irish and has never lived in the Uk. How is he fixed?...I really hope he has cracked it?

PS I also know of an Adviser (business) to the Govt who was driving around in new Range Rover Sport on UK plates for months and again is based here......how?

Meister wrote:
    I really hope he has cracked it?

I doubt it. The offence IIRC is whether an Irish national drives a car with yellow plates.

Meister wrote:
    PS I also know of an Adviser (business) to the Govt who was driving around in new Range Rover Sport on UK plates for months and again is based here......how?

Probably a UK based contractor.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,715 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Besides becoming more and more political this thread has now gone off topic.
    Any votes to lock it?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

Shouts from outside.

Lock it up!!!!

Lock it!

Me and ninety9er in pub discussing Bertie's new suit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

kbannon wrote:
    Any votes to lock it?

VOTES????? kbannon needs sending back to Mod School!

Mike.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,715 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Im off to school now!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement