Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What wireless broadband provider should I use?

Options
  • 02-04-2007 5:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 21

Hi,
    Im new to this whole broadband business. But i've decided i want a wireless service such as Irish broadband.

However I've heard that some wireless providers don't allow peer to peer networking and torrent downloading.

Does anyone know the best wireless service that allows p2p?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

dmoc23 wrote:
    Hi,
    Im new to this whole broadband business. But i've decided i want a wireless service such as Irish broadband.

However I've heard that some wireless providers don't allow peer to peer networking and torrent downloading.

Does anyone know the best wireless service that allows p2p?
    Whereabouts in Dublin are you based, do you know what services are available to you ?

Do you know anyone using digiweb, ibb, clearwire in your area that you can checkout before buying.

The Digiweb Metro package seems to get the thumbs up here quite often, there have been lots of horror stories about Irish Broadband here in the past.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 dmoc23

im based in rialto. Unfortnately i don't know anyone else using the other wireless packages available.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

IBB does 3 quite different wireless services. Be sure you understand what they are offering.

Read Clearwires T&C carefully and talk to other users before agreeing anything.

Digiweb Metro needs a clear view of the mast from the outdoor smallish greyish plastic cover box. Metro also provides a phone connection that works with ordinary phones, DECT cordless base, fax, Modems etc. A second independent phone can be added at an extra charge. No "line rental" on the first phone number. I don't know what the charge or arrangements are for a 2nd number.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭OfflerCrocGod

Why do you want wireless BB?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,568 ✭✭✭ethernet

Why do you want wireless BB?
    I can hardly speak on the OP's behalf, but you won't need to get a landline if you don't have -- nor want one -- just to have a decent Internet connection. Not forgetting that some people don't even have much choice.

Reading other posts in this forum would lead me to question Irish Broadband's quality of service so Digiweb may be a better choice.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21 dmoc23

the reason i want wireless is because i don't want to have to pay eircom a rental charge.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭Rudolph Claus

Ive Net1`s wireless package, the basic package which is 1MB speed, E35 per month and no cap and fixed ip adress.

I was looking at Digiweb and for E35 you get a 3MB speed, cheaper instalation, free modem, fixed IP and 30g cap.

The metro E19.99 is 1MB speed, dynamic ip, 10g cap, 89E instalation and free instalation if you pay the full 12month rental in advance. (I think)

I might switch to the metro or at least the 3MB package as i`d still be btter off to what i have currently. The digiweb/net1 packages/prices were the same when i was ordering 10months ago. Digiweb have been busy it seems. Can anyone tell me the disadvantages of the E19.99 metro package, would a dynamic ip be a problem? Is the ariel thing on the roof the same as the ariel thing i have at the min for wireless?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Dynamic IP is not a problem. Almost no-one *NEEDS* static IP. If you are connecting you your own private video stream or VNC / Remote desktop etc then you can use www.dyndns.org free to maintain a name for your IP.

I've been on Metro 3M package since Nov 2005.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭Rudolph Claus

I think ill switch over to metro then so!
    I assume i can still use my wireless router with Metro an be able to connect up wirelessly via our wireless laptops as we do now with Net1`s packag, yeah?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭spank_inferno

I've used both Clearwire & Irish Broadband's Breeze service.

Clearwire didnt allow Bittorrents to work
    The do work on IBB but I dont seem to get faster than 40KB d/l rates

• Advertisement
Advertisement