Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

People nicknaming my children.

Options
  • 02-04-2007 6:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 404 ✭✭

I have a question looking for opinions:

My 9yr and 8yr old sons are names David & Stephen.

Some people have decided from an early age to re-name them Davy & Sveevie.

This really bugs me, do you think i am being silly getting worked up or not?:confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭Blowfish

colmranger wrote:
    This really bugs me, do you think i am being silly getting worked up or not?:confused:
    Yes. Get used to it, pretty much everyone has a nickname at one point or another.

Just be glad they are completely harmless nicknames, it could be a lot worse.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

As long as the names aren't mocking the kids I'd say let it go.

Nicknames have a habit of sticking though so if the kids are upset by it themselves then I would start asking people to revert to their given names.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,662 ✭✭✭Trinity

Well as long as you keep using their real names eventually people may cop on.

Its actually more unusual for people not to have nciknames. I named my son Sean for that reason yet find myself calling him seanie, yet no one else does.

as long as they are not bad nicknames. I dont know one david who is actually called david, apart from by their mothers!

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

My mother is still irked at the fact that most of us have been misnamed in the same way. "That's not the name I gave you", she mutters. Let them make their own choices when they are old enough. Otherwise it is beyond your control.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

Silly to get worked up in my opinion, as long as they aren't mocking as mentioned. It is fairly common for such things to happen.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭rediguana

There is little you can do about it. Better to focus on those of life's problems that you can change.

There used to be a guy in my brother's school called "XXXX Gaylord". Now HE had nickname problems.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,946 ✭✭✭BeardyGit

Man, I've heard some cracking names in my time dealing with international clients. In recent years I've spoken with a Mr. Richard Hymen (correct spelling) and only the other day I had a lengthy conversation on the phone with a dude named Klit. Can you imagine what that was like for them?

You're getting worked up over nothing.

Dave, Davie, Daithí, Dave the Rave, Dave-o....
    Stevie, Steve-o, Steve....

All great nicknames. And just like their 'proper' names, SFA to do with their identity.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,542 ✭✭✭Duff

Its gonna happen at some point or another no matter what you do! Just be glad theyre not bad nicknames!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,945 ✭✭✭D-Generate

Once a nickname takes hold its very hard to get rid of though. Had to change our friends name from Madge back to his original name of Brian. It was incredibly difficult but finally after a few months its back to Brian.
    Nonetheless though nicknames are no harm at all. Don't get so worked up or you will look like a nagging mom, thats worse for your kids than any nickname.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,314 ✭✭✭Talliesin

colmranger wrote:
    It does cut down the odds of them being called Dave-o and Steve-o though (yuck).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,982 ✭✭✭Caliden

Be glad they've got friends who were kind enough to give them decent nicknames. At least this way when they reach secondary school they will already have a nickname, unlick some unfortunate people I went to school with. One example was, Rover (dog pissed on his school bag) :(

• Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

Moved from PI.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,016 ✭✭✭Blush_01

My brother's been called Pause since primary school. Hasn't bothered him in the slightest although it drove my mother batty. As a previous poster already said, unless it upsets your kids then let it go. It may happen that their nicknames don't last. Frankly, they could be a lot worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,916 ✭✭✭✭iguana

There is nothing much you can do about it. Nicknames have a way of happening. I lnow of a woman who named her daughter Amber and was quite pleased with herself for choosing a nickname proof name. Until a day later when her 5 year old son was brought to meet his new sister and straight away he piped up with; "Hi 'Ambur-gur!"

So it could be worse.;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,366 ✭✭✭luckat

Your full name is what your mammy calls you.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,588 ✭✭✭deisemum

luckat wrote:
    Your full name is what your mammy calls you.

especially when she's mad with you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

I would say it dends on who the people are if they are adtuls and certainly family I would explaint to them that those are not your childrens name and asked to refrain from using them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,399 ✭✭✭Kashkai

Don't get so hung up on it. Most nicknames are used when you are fond of someone and are not meant to be malicious (although there's always the exception).

My twins are Laura and Steven and we call them Laurie and Stevie. My eldest daughter is officially called Kate but has always been called Katie. When they get old enough, they'll make up their own minds as to how they want to be addressed. There's more things to worry about than harmless nicknames.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 518 ✭✭✭littlebitdull

About the only way to avoid your children ending up with shortened versions of their given name is to give them one that can not be shortened.

Long names and names which already have nickname versions, well you just have to get used to that.

David ... Dave, Davey, Dathí ...

Stephen... Steve, Stevo, Stavo...

Its all just par for the course... same as if you had called them Patrick, James, William, Desmond, Raymond, Joseph, Christopher etc etc.

You will just have to either be prepared to constantly tell people to stop or get used to it.

My own given name is long, and I use a much shortened version of it, as does my husband with his given name. But both our respective Mammys/Brothers/Sister etc still call us by our full names.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,430 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

as nicknames go they aren't too bad actually! Yes, just get used to it, kids will always use nicknames..mine stuck with me until Leaving Cert when I could finally shrug the name off in college!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭limklad

colmranger wrote:
    I have a question looking for opinions:

My 9yr and 8yr old sons are names David & Stephen.

I do not consider these names (Davy and Sveevie) as nicknames as there are so many variations on people names, depends on the culture and society. I counted 5 variation on my name so far in the English language alone and been called all of them.

I know some people consider David and Stephen very formal, as Davy and sveevie are informal, affectionate, friendly, more acceptable within their social groups. If you keep pushing it they probably be consider snobbery on their or your part and be called alot worse
    It not exactly Dickhead and pisshead is it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,243 ✭✭✭kelle

My brother is called "Francis" and was nicknamed "Fanny" at school. He found it amusing, but my parents were disgusted as his mates would ask to "speak to Fanny" when they'd phone him. They'd have been delighted with Dave or Sveevie I can tell you! Amazingly he managed to shake it off and it never stuck with him.
    Over the years I have noticed a lot of mothers very fussy about their offspring being called by the name on their birthcert and would correct me accordingly. So you're not alone with your thoughts OP

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

Just get used to it. They're not bad nicknames and at least they aren't being made fun of in any way with their nicknames. If it bothers you that much, then tell people to stop, but people will either think your severly stuck up or your joking.

My name is Adrieanne (aid - ree - anne) and I've been called everything except that since I was born. I've been called Adrienne, Adrian, Ado, Adri and Ado Potatoe. People have even called me Andrea. I've gotten used to it, but introduce myself to people as Adrieanne.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,145 ✭✭✭SarahSassy

I would suggest not getting worried about it - its not as if they are calling them 'Curly & Moe'........

• Registered Users Posts: 2,650 ✭✭✭cooperguy

As long as they dont mind then it shouldnt matter

• Registered Users Posts: 28,487 ✭✭✭✭looksee

I called my son Michael which stuck till he reached adulthood, then he started referring to himself (answering the phone etc) as Mick. You can't win!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭gonker

Dont worry about it I only call my daughters by their full names when I am angry with them.
    I worked with a guy whose nickname was "id" his real name was David but everyone called him Dave and he used to correct them when they said Dave he said "id" so id stuck!!! A lot worse than Davy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 tanz11111

do not worry i know it can be annoying but i was called olive oil as a kid because i was skinny but no body calls it me now even thopugh i am still skinny if its just kids doing it htye will grow out of it if you or your freinds/relatives are doing it then i say tell them you do not like it and would prefer them to use their real names but if the kids prefer it then just leave it drop ask the kids themselves what they think they will be able to answer the question better than anyone else,,,,,

Advertisement