Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Newbie!! A few questions

• 02-04-2007 6:29pm

Hey,

Another newbie here, dont like it?? Well.....I dont care!!

Anyways, a few years ago on hols I had the wonderful game of cricket explained to me by an Englishman during the Ashes series. So I understand a lot of the laws and terminology. However in watching the world cup i have a few questions:

1) What is a powerplay?!

2) Does the ball have to bounce before the crease because i always assumed it did but Ive noticed some batsmen hitting the ball on the full.

Also, I was thinking of taking the game up and taking more of an "active" interest in it. What months does the Irish crickt season run in and how would I go about getting involved?? Also would it be a problem having a guy in who is learning the game???

Thansk for the replies in advance guys.

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 2,659 Mod ✭✭✭✭TrueDub

Hey,

Another newbie here, dont like it?? Well.....I dont care!!

I see... Interesting way to introduce yourself.
    Anyways, a few years ago on hols I had the wonderful game of cricket explained to me by an Englishman during the Ashes series. So I understand a lot of the laws and terminology. However in watching the world cup i have a few questions:

1) What is a powerplay?!

A powerplay is a period of time (either 10 or 5 overs) where the fielding side is obliged to have every fielder bar 2 inside the 30-yard circle. In this World Cup you have 3 power-plays, consisting of 1 of 10 overs and 2 of 5 overs. The fielding captain chooses when to take these powerplays.
    2) Does the ball have to bounce before the crease because i always assumed it did but Ive noticed some batsmen hitting the ball on the full.

No it doesn't.
    Also, I was thinking of taking the game up and taking more of an "active" interest in it. What months does the Irish crickt season run in and how would I go about getting involved?? Also would it be a problem having a guy in who is learning the game???
    Thansk for the replies in advance guys.

Season runs from middle of April to the middle of September. Shouldn't be a problem just rocking up at your local club and getting involved.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,726 ✭✭✭✭DMC

Welcome along :)

Just to add to TrueDub's answer, you would hear this referred to as a "full toss" by the commentators.

TrueDub wrote:
    I see... Interesting way to introduce yourself.

Season runs from middle of April to the middle of September. Shouldn't be a problem just rocking up at your local club and getting involved.
    Hmmmm yea, I could have been more polite but I despise elitists in any sport so that was aimed at them. In fairness the majority of people involved in Irish cricket have been very positive about the increased exposure.

As for the season, are the matches at the weekend?! And are they played under the same (50 overs) format as the WC?

P.s Thanks for clearing those questions up for me lads!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 2,659 Mod ✭✭✭✭TrueDub

Hmmmm yea, I could have been more polite but I despise elitists in any sport so that was aimed at them. In fairness the majority of people involved in Irish cricket have been very positive about the increased exposure.

So you decided to come in and get your retaliation in first? Even though the majority are positive? Hmmm...
    As for the season, are the matches at the weekend?! And are they played under the same (50 overs) format as the WC?

Games are usually at the weekends, and the format is limited-overs - the number of overs a side depends on the standard - 1st XI is 50 or 55 overs, lower standards play fewer overs.

• Advertisement

TrueDub wrote:
    So you decided to come in and get your retaliation in first? Even though the majority are positive? Hmmm...
    Attack as the best form of defence!! Sorry come from the martial arts forum, used to dealing with a certain type of approach from elitists!!! I have seen a few negative posst so just warning those off in effect. Dont worry, wasnt aimed at u my man.

TrueDub wrote:
    Games are usually at the weekends, and the format is limited-overs - the number of overs a side depends on the standard - 1st XI is 50 or 55 overs, lower standards play fewer overs.
    Very good. As for the fact that I havent really played before, is there room for new guys to come in and learn whilst playing a few games??

Attack as the best form of defence!!

Good way to give people a certain impression of you too.

Very good. As for the fact that I havent really played before, is there room for new guys to come in and learn whilst playing a few games??

Yes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

OK, bit of a n00b here aswell.

I may have posted on this forum about once before the WC.

:o

Anyway.

Who is the Power Play supposed to favour, especially the one for the first ten overs?

Seems to me it favours the opening batsmen, who may be big hitters?

Or, if the bowlers can restrict them to hitting it along the ground, they won't get boundaries.

What is the general thinking on it?

Cheers lads.

Also, there were some games supposed to be in Dublin
    http://www.cricketeurope4.net/IRELAND/DATABASE/2007/INTERNATIONAL/CGtable.shtml

Are these still going ahead on schedule, if not have they been re-scheduled?

Will the games be at Clontarf?

Will it be the same Ireland team currently playing out in the carribean?

seansouth wrote:
    Who is the Power Play supposed to favour, especially the one for the first ten overs?

Seems to me it favours the opening batsmen, who may be big hitters?

Or, if the bowlers can restrict them to hitting it along the ground, they won't get boundaries.

What is the general thinking on it?

In general it favours the batman. It was brought in to allow for big hits and big scores, and tends to achieve this. Some would say it's disturbed the balance between bat and ball, and that the batsman now has all the advantages.
    seansouth wrote:
    Cheers lads.

Also, there were some games supposed to be in Dublin
    http://www.cricketeurope4.net/IRELAND/DATABASE/2007/INTERNATIONAL/CGtable.shtml

Are these still going ahead on schedule, if not have they been re-scheduled?

Will the games be at Clontarf?

Will it be the same Ireland team currently playing out in the carribean?

AFAIK the first one on 22nd April has been rescheduled, the rest go on as normal. Some are in Dublin, others in Belfast.

I sincerely doubt it'll be the same team as in the Caribbean - for a start, Eoin Morgan, Niall O'Brien and (probably) Boyd Rankin will be with their counties and therefore unavailable. There may also be some who retire from international cricket and others who simply won't be available because of work commitments.

The Gloucestershire game in Clontarf has been rearranged to Thursday May 10.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

OK thanks lads for that.

Just another thing on the Power Play, if you don't mind.

Does my second point not stand at all?

Because it seemed to me in the Ireland England game on Friday, that our attack did much better with the Power Play, and restricted England to very few boundary hits.

Was this bad batting by England, or do our bowlers deserve more credit than I'd be willing to give if the situation totally favours the batsmen?

I've been watching and enjoying One-Day for a couple of years now, and this point is always something I struggled to understand.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,115 ✭✭✭Pal

The first 10 overs are compulsory Powerplay # 1 in the World Cup.

The fielding captain decides when to have Powerplays 2 + 3 (five overs each).

The Powerplay favours the batsman because he can safely hit over the fielders into wide empty spaces.

Because the batsmen are cautious early on in the game and prefer keeping the wickets intact, the fielding captain usually calls Powerplays early and gets them safely over and done with.

It appears in the Carribean the white ball "does a bit" in the first 10 overs, and, as its a 9:30am start, its not that surprising. Thats why bowl first is the prefered option at the toss.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭rockbeer

Hey,

The ball doesn't have to bounce, however if the ball reaches the batsman on the full above waist height the umpire should call it a no ball. This is to legislate against the bowling of beamers - balls aimed, whether by accident or design, straight at the batsman's head.

Generally speaking there's little value to the bowler in bowling full tosses as it's much easier to hit the ball on the full than after it bounces. Having said that, it's not that uncommon to take a wicket with a full toss, when the horrified batsman hits it in the air straight to a fielder.

Advertisement