Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Course transferring

Options
  • 02-04-2007 6:36pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 450 ✭✭

Hey im not sure if this is in the right section or not but hopefully somebody can help me with my problemo??

Im in UCD, in first year of general science, aiming for physics and chemistry, but im not really happy and was considering transferring into a different collge to do a different course.

My problem is, that im a little hazy on the whole transfer malark. Lets say i pass all my first year exams, get all my credits or watever, and transfer into the new course in the new college. Does that mean i will have to reapply to cao or how do i go about it? Also does it mean i will have to pay tuition fees and what not seeing as i will be doing first year again??

Hopefully sombody out there can help me as i am lost.

Thanks a mil

Comments

If you're looking to transfer into another college, then they would be the ones you would communicate with, not the CAO.

I'll reply in more detail about the rest later - running for a bus!

p-nut wrote:
    Im in UCD, in first year of general science, aiming for physics and chemistry, but im not really happy and was considering transferring into a different collge to do a different course.

My problem is, that im a little hazy on the whole transfer malark. Lets say i pass all my first year exams, get all my credits or watever, and transfer into the new course in the new college.

Ok, like I said you need to contact the new college you wish to apply to if you are already in a college - if you are looking to apply for the second year of that course. However, if you're going to drop out of college and then apply to another college (so first year again in the new college) then you obviously need to go through the CAO.

If you're going to do the same type of course in another college (so you transfer into first year), then you might be able to get exempt from some courses in your new course.
    Does that mean i will have to reapply to cao or how do i go about it? Also does it mean i will have to pay tuition fees and what not seeing as i will be doing first year again??

Hopefully sombody out there can help me as i am lost.

Thanks a mil

If you do another first year, you'll have to pay fees for that year, but your second year would be covered under the free fees scheme again. As mentioned above, if you wish to do another course in another college, you have the options. If you wish to do the same type of course in another college, then you may be able to go into the second year of that course (assuming you pass first year) and thus wouldn't have to pay anything, since you're just be progressing your education.

If you wish to do a different course, then you should go through the CAO, but if you wish to do a different course but in the same college, you should contact your college's Students' Union or admissions office or transfers office or student services or wherever you want to go with it! You may be able to transfer interally without having to go through the CAO, you see.

But the people above are the people you need to get in contact with.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 450 ✭✭p-nut

Thanks a mil for your help, everythings a good bit clearer now alrite. Ye i was thinkin of goin into chemistry and pharmacuticals in DCU, so ye i guess its pretty close alrite. The only thing is, they do a bit of biology in first year that i dont have. I suppose the best thing to do is get onto the college as you said.
    Thanks again

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 cbb16

Does anyone have any idea how much changing to another college and course costs at all for the first year as the second and subsequent would be covered?

Thanks
    :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭claire h

Depends on the course and the college. A couple of grand, if you're an EU student. Arts courses are about 4000 or so, things like medicine closer to 7000.

• Advertisement
Advertisement