Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Help with noise from braking in 2007 Toyota Corolla

Options
  • 02-04-2007 7:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭

Noise coming under braking in new saloon 2007 toyota corolla 1.4 dsl luna. Has anybody else come accross this problem. I have had it back in the main dealer and they blow out the brake pads but still the problem is there it seems to be coming from the back brakes. Hope someone can help.
    Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,025 ✭✭✭slipss

Can you describe the noise? Squeaking, grinding, thudding ect. If its a squeaking it may just be that you need to apply brake pad paste to the backs of the pads, the back of course not the side that contacts the brake disk.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

Yeah - descibe the noise in greater detail. Is it a squeal or is it a grinding noise?

I'm not sure about an 07 Corolla, but the older models have a component which causes a squeal as the pads come close to their wear limit. I'm not sure if Toyota now have a warning light on the dash. colm_mcm will probably know.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,387 ✭✭✭BrianD3

Could be a "foreign object" between the pad and the disc. I had this happen once, offending object was a metal sticker! Scoring on the disc may indicate something caught in there.

BrianD3 wrote:
    Could be a "foreign object" between the pad and the disc. I had this happen once, offending object was a metal sticker! Scoring on the disc may indicate something caught in there.
    Very true - I've cured many squeals by removing a stone trapped between the disc and cowl. If it's caused by a foriegn object, chances are the noise will be present 100% of the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭jhud

Sorry lads for not saying but its a squeaking noise.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,239 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

jhud wrote:
    Sorry lads for not saying but its a squeaking noise.

I reckon that copper grease applied to the back of the brake pads will cure this.

The car is under warranty so make an appointment to bring it back to the dealer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭bbability

bazz26 wrote:
    I reckon that copper grease applied to the back of the brake pads will cure this.

The car is under warranty so make an appointment to bring it back to the dealer.

That's exactly what happened my father's Avensis last year. Brakes pad's needed some grease.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭hellboy99

Break squeal is a common problem with Toyota in general, usual cause is shim pads on the the brake pad. These should be replaced when changing the pads, they are an indicator to let you know when your pads are worn.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,239 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

hellboy99 wrote:
    Break squeal is a common problem with Toyota in general, usual cause is shim pads on the the brake pad. These should be replaced when changing the pads, they are an indicator to let you know when your pads are worn.

In my case it happened after new pads were fitted rather than before.

In the OP's case it's a 2007 Corolla so I doubt that the pads are worn already, most likely dust/dirt.

Get the pad level checked - if the pads are ok the copper grease will solve it. If not then it's time for new pads.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,186 ✭✭✭PADRAIC.M

yeah bring it back, if it aint a stone or something its just dust I can say for one, as Im a mechanic in a toyota main dealer that we dont use copper grease anymore to solve brake squeal its a sticky material we place between the piston and the pads works a dream everytime.

later..

Advertisement