Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Drinking and Going Out

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,794 ✭✭✭JC 2K3

md99 wrote:
    JC , you've just heard meguds.. personal account, i'm sure you've heard it from plenty of teachers in your own school, why do you refuse to believe this happens, it's not going to change what happens your own paper at the end of the day... megud..'s has just wriiten about how her mother corrected papers for 20 years and about how they were marked to a curve, and now you're linking us to something Edward Walsh says? What is that gonna change, one respected persons opinion versus the word of Irish secondary school teachers and exam correctors? Is this guy the Messiah, or are you stuck for material here?
    No teacher has ever told me that the exams are marked to a curve.

tbh, megud4u doesn't convince me of anything besides the fact that corrections are heavily regulated. If there are an unusually high amount of As emerging of course they're going to investigate it. Marking schemes are obviously made with the difficulty of the exam(which may differ from year to year) in mind, which means an "easy" or "hard" paper won't determine the amount of As that year, and the law of averages means that a similar distribution of grades every year is highly probable. It's not marking to a curve, it's simply a reality.

Boston, touché, I did take the wrong thing out of that quote.

And Applied Maths isn't easy to do well in at all. The reason the percentage of A grades is so high is because so few people do it(c. 1500 per year) and those who do are generally very good at maths in the first place. If App Maths was compulsory it'd have much the same curve as HL Maths.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 817 ✭✭✭md99

JC 2K3 wrote:
    the law of averages means that a similar distribution of grades every year is highly probable. It's not marking to a curve, it's simply a reality.

I see, one student knows more about correcting LC papers than every examiner in Ireland, what a world we live in...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭Marshy

Come on now, this thread is turning into a bit of a joke people. Petty to say the least. Pretty tiresome discussion :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,149 ✭✭✭ZorbaTehZ

Quite funny actually that a discussion about drinking and going out during the leaving cert. turned into a four page rant about how the tests are marked.

I'm sorry if you guys find this boring or off topic but this still doesn't alter the nature of the argument...

• Advertisement

Know what happens threads that go off-topic? They get locked.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

ZorbaTehZ point out to me the post where marking was first raised. Then point out the page, then point out the four pages that followed ranting about marking.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭PurpleFistMixer

Way to be pedantic...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,878 ✭✭✭Rozabeez

Soooo.....what we're saying is, it's ok for SOME people to drink/go out, if they can handle it and work around it?

Boston wrote:
    ZorbaTehZ point out to me the post where marking was first raised. Then point out the page, then point out the four pages that followed ranting about marking.

lol.gif

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 176 ✭✭bright

JC-
    Drinking during the next few weeks we have up to the leaving cert. is not doing yourself any favours(the stress relief argument goes out the window- there are other way to relief stress;) ) and if you can't stay off the sauce for a week weeks bar graduation night, then you
    a)aren't taking the leaving that seriously,
    b)have a problem, or;
    c)are mad-out-of-it:cool:

also JC- if you go out and have 5-6 pints on a saturday night you will not be able to properly study untill tuesday (Dr. Charles Hannon on the subject of teenage alcohol abuse). So i feel your estimation that taking sunday to recover somehow negates the effects of the previous nights excess is a bit naive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭Nehpets

If JC can do it, I don't see how it's up for debate..

different strokes for different folks

Sure I'd never drink in 6th year. lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭Karlusss

Drinking during sixth year is class.

Everyone do it.

I have, in general, been able to take Sunday as a hangover day and then go in bright and breezy on Monday.

Rozabeez wrote:
    Sure I'd never drink in 6th year. lol.

:o

bright wrote:
    JC-
    Drinking during the next few weeks we have up to the leaving cert. is not doing yourself any favours(the stress relief argument goes out the window- there are other way to relief stress;) ) and if you can't stay off the sauce for a week weeks bar graduation night, then you
    a)aren't taking the leaving that seriously,
    b)have a problem, or;
    c)are mad-out-of-it:cool:
    I could stay off drinking if I wanted to, I don't have a problem, and I am taking the Leaving seriously. I just don't see why I shouldn't drink if I happen to go out if I don't feel it's affecting me.
    bright wrote:
    Jalso JC- if you go out and have 5-6 pints on a saturday night you will not be able to properly study untill tuesday (Dr. Charles Hannon on the subject of teenage alcohol abuse). So i feel your estimation that taking sunday to recover somehow negates the effects of the previous nights excess is a bit naive.
    That's not necessarily a fact. Different people deal with alcohol differently.
    Rozabeez wrote:
    Soooo.....what we're saying is, it's ok for SOME people to drink/go out, if they can handle it and work around it?
    Exactly.
    Marshy wrote:
    Come on now, this thread is turning into a bit of a joke people. Petty to say the least. Pretty tiresome discussion
    Lol, ah I know, but it's funny. If you read the thread you'll see it's all Boston and md99's fault really. I'm innocent, arrogant and persistant, but innocent. :)

JC 2K3 wrote:
    Lol, ah I know, but it's funny. If you read the thread you'll see it's all Boston and md99's fault really. I'm innocent, arrogant and persistant, but innocent. :)

There needs to be two sides for there to be an argument, remember!

I think it is possible to drink Saturday, recover Sunday taking it off, and return to work Monday, we could all take a page from James Montague's book, "But a traditional Irishman who.. drank neat whiskey until he reached... brute oblivion.. and yet picked himself up, most mornings, to march down the street extending his smile to all sides of the good (non-negro) neighbourhood"

Now don't ye go thinking I'm a racist because of the negro part!

John Montague, perhaps?

ZorbaTehZ wrote:
    John Montague, perhaps?

REPLY A (Non-Controversial)
    James was his father, who is the subject of the poem, hence......

I knew someone was gonna try that... pathetic

REPLY B (Controversial)

James was his father, idiot.

On another note, has anyone ever done homework/essays with a few drinks on them?

• Advertisement

Well that post was a bit lol, as is your touchiness tbh.
    The poem was by John Montague or at least I thought it was. I am also wondering how you've decided that that line has got anything to do with what we're discussing? You think that we need to maintain an outward appearance of wellbeing or happiness? I thought we were discussing how students - even though they claim otherwise - are unable to study properly the day after? Or are you saying we should maintain a fake apperance on the monday afterwards when we would be recovered. Then again maybe I'm misinterpreting it. Enlighten me.

He said "take a page from James Montague's book" not take a page from James Montague's poem. You do know what it means to take a page from someone's book? I think you and JC should refrain from going out on Saturday nights, it's clearly affecting your comprehension skills.

"re-frame"?

:rolleyes:

ZorbaTehZ wrote:
    Well that post was a bit lol, as is your touchiness tbh.
    The poem was by John Montague or at least I thought it was. ....Enlighten me.

It IS by John Montague, and he wrote it about his father James, an alcoholic... That should be sufficient without going into the Cultural Context of the matter.

Edit: lol @ Bostons post

JC 2K3 wrote:
    "re-frame"?

:rolleyes:

Nah mate, it's spelt refrain. It means to hold oneself back/ prevent yourself from doing or saying something.

lol, didn't bother with the second part I see.
    Anyhow anyway, why is there so much anger in this forum I WUV U'S ALL REALLY.
    Also at what point did I say I go out? I never leave my cave.

Why do you shine your shoes if you never leave your cave?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,296 ✭✭✭RandolphEsq

bright wrote:
    if you go out and have 5-6 pints on a saturday night you will not be able to properly study untill tuesday (Dr. Charles Hannon on the subject of teenage alcohol abuse)
    Based on Hannon's theory then if you go out on friday, you'll be fine by monday, just in time for another week of school. Although, I find that a pint of water before bed kills the hangover. Theres enough time to study during the week, you just have to use it properly.

Im not drinking until after the leaving anyway, and by drinking I mean getting drunk, a pint or two on a friday or saturday night will still be ok

• Registered Users Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭Marshy

bright wrote:
    also JC- if you go out and have 5-6 pints on a saturday night you will not be able to properly study untill tuesday (Dr. Charles Hannon on the subject of teenage alcohol abuse).
    How can I be sure thats a bona fide source?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,564 ✭✭✭Naikon

BrightEyes wrote:
    Based on Hannon's theory then if you go out on friday, you'll be fine by monday, just in time for another week of school. Although, I find that a pint of water before bed kills the hangover. Theres enough time to study during the week, you just have to use it properly.

Im not drinking until after the leaving anyway, and by drinking I mean getting drunk, a pint or two on a friday or saturday night will still be ok

Drink slowly, and most importantly eat something substantial to slow the absorption of the Alcohol.
    I am not giving up drinking, as I tend to drink in moderation and dont go out on "da piss" like most of the people in my class.
    Not that having a few pints is eveil or anything, but drinking to intentionally become stone drunk is a little juvenile in my opinion.

Advertisement