Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Drinking and Going Out

Options
124»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭Haven't a Clue

BrightEyes wrote:
    Based on Hannon's theory then if you go out on friday, you'll be fine by monday, just in time for another week of school. Although, I find that a pint of water before bed kills the hangover. Theres enough time to study during the week, you just have to use it properly.

Im not drinking until after the leaving anyway, and by drinking I mean getting drunk, a pint or two on a friday or saturday night will still be ok
    Spot on. Pint of water does wonders for the next day. I dunno about that Hannon theory at all. Maybe it's just a case of different horses for different courses...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,794 ✭✭✭JC 2K3

Pint of water? After 5/6 pints you ought to drink a lot more water, although not necessarily just before bed, since drinking a lot of water at once can upset your stomach.

You should aim to drink one pint of water per pint/unit of alcohol you've had that night. I rarely actually achieve this, but it's a good rule to keep in mind, and I find if I've drank 3/4 pints of water alongside 5/6 pints I feel fine the next morning. I usually try and have one pint of water half way through the night, one at the end of the night and 1-3 when I get home. It's a good idea to take a multi vitamin tablet aswell, I do before bed if it's there, if I forget/can't find it I take it in the morning. Also, put a pint of water and Rennie tablets beside your bed in case you wake up in the middle of the night/the next morning feeling thirsty or with an upset stomach.

Oh and you shouldn't let yourself get to this stage(although we all slip up) and it's not particularly nice, but if you feel like puking before going to bed just make yourself(by your preferred method, the thought of sticking my finger down my throat makes me cringe, but pressing against my stomach when I already feel sick usually makes me puke), and then drink a pint or two of water and take a multivitamin if you have one.

The next morning take Rennies if your stomach is upset, drink more water and have a substantial meal(you'll likely be hungry anyway).

And that, my friends, is JC's guide to beating hangovers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,878 ✭✭✭Rozabeez

You could've just said that before all the craziness broke out...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 817 ✭✭✭md99

Good advice, another way to go is a water dispenser in your room like I have, always handy!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,469 ✭✭✭✭cson

JC 2K3 wrote:
    Pint of water? After 5/6 pints you ought to drink a lot more water, although not necessarily just before bed, since drinking a lot of water at once can upset your stomach.

You should aim to drink one pint of water per pint/unit of alcohol you've had that night. I rarely actually achieve this, but it's a good rule to keep in mind, and I find if I've drank 3/4 pints of water alongside 5/6 pints I feel fine the next morning. I usually try and have one pint of water half way through the night, one at the end of the night and 1-3 when I get home. It's a good idea to take a multi vitamin tablet aswell, I do before bed if it's there, if I forget/can't find it I take it in the morning. Also, put a pint of water and Rennie tablets beside your bed in case you wake up in the middle of the night/the next morning feeling thirsty or with an upset stomach.

Oh and you shouldn't let yourself get to this stage(although we all slip up) and it's not particularly nice, but if you feel like puking before going to bed just make yourself(by your preferred method, the thought of sticking my finger down my throat makes me cringe, but pressing against my stomach when I already feel sick usually makes me puke), and then drink a pint or two of water and take a multivitamin if you have one.

The next morning take Rennies if your stomach is upset, drink more water and have a substantial meal(you'll likely be hungry anyway).

And that, my friends, is JC's guide to beating hangovers

Quite a complex procedure there. Especially after the 10 pints....such a heady combination of water and alcohol. Try making those 5/6 pints guinness'zzzzz.

• Advertisement

Nehpets wrote:
    Why do you shine your shoes if you never leave your cave?

I second that!

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭Robbiethe3rd

I ended up repeating my leaving; didnt drink (during the year) the first time did the second; did way better; in my opinion alcohol increases preformance! In all seriousness though, you guys need to chill out, the year does get stressful, especially with exams getting fairly close now. IMO as exams approch, dont go getting wasted but dont be afraid to go have a couple on Friday just to take your mind off things.

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭fuinneamh

Rozabeez wrote:
    On another note, has anyone ever done homework/essays with a few drinks on them?

I have done it, no difference as it was only 2-3 beers and i was fresh. Key with all study is to be fresh, Tiredness is the only thing that will kill you work ethic.

• Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭nedward

Honestly, one pint every night/every second night does no harm, and it's a great way to unwind, down the pub with your mates!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭dan719

In response to Boston, sorry but you sound whingy to me. I refuse to give up my life for the leaving cert. We go out most weekends to relax after matches. And before you describe me as an underachiever, I scored 560 in the mocks, and am hoping to study theoretical physics in tcd next year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,469 ✭✭✭✭cson

It kills me to say it but for once I agree with JC 2K3, doing 2/3 hours study including your homework every day from the start (hell even now) is not giving up your 'life'.

If your 'life' is going out at weekends and getting smashed every time then it is indeed a very sad life that you live.

Okay Im not sure if that was aimed at me or not, but my life is far more then going out at weekends, and it is definately far more then a two and a half weeks of exams this june. Personally I believe the leaving is blown out of all proportion. Its a stepping stone, to do whatever you want to,not a be all and end all in itself. If you want to define yourself by an exam at the age of eighteen, fine. But I think it is you that then has a 'sad life'.

Albert Einstein failed his first attempt to enter the Zurich Polytechnic. Why? Because of the languages section on the admission test. His physics lecturer told him that he was a 'lazy dog(eine faul hund)' and 'would never amount to anything'. Exams are not everything.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,296 ✭✭✭RandolphEsq

Rozabeez wrote:
    On another note, has anyone ever done homework/essays with a few drinks on them?

I may have my greatest ideas when Im drunk but I wouldnt do an essay after having a few drinks.

Maybe if I had been out drinking and I felt inspired when I got home Id write some stuff out, but when I wake up the next morning I usually cant read my writing so Im sure Im missing out on those A1 answers because my writing is so bad when Im drunk.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

dan719 wrote:
    In response to Boston, sorry but you sound whingy to me. I refuse to give up my life for the leaving cert. We go out most weekends to relax after matches. And before you describe me as an underachiever, I scored 560 in the mocks, and am hoping to study theoretical physics in tcd next year.

Good luck to you. TP in tcd has a huge drop out rate. There's afew people over on the trinity forum that started out in it and transfered. You might want to talk to them about it. Mock results are a load of bolix btw.

Of course they are. But if I were to say I scored that in the mocks and hadn't gone out since september you would hold me up as a shiny wondeful example of what can be achieved when one doesn't going out. I am just saying that you cna do very well in the leaving without resorting to becoming a hermit. And yeah I know tp has a very high drop out rate....I know a lot of people doing it. So nice try but your not really going to frighten me with dropout stories.

Bertrand Russel said 'many people would rather die then think and in fact they do'.

dan719 wrote:
    Of course they are. But if I were to say I scored that in the mocks and hadn't gone out since september you would hold me up as a shiny wondeful example of what can be achieved when one doesn't going out.

Holding people up as examples isn't my game
    I am just saying that you cna do very well in the leaving without resorting to becoming a hermit.

Where did i say become a hermit? I wasn't a hermit when i did the leaving. I didn't get hammered on saturday nights either. Do you get hammered on saturday nights after matches?
    And yeah I know tp has a very high drop out rate....I know a lot of people doing it. So nice try but your not really going to frighten me with dropout stories.

I've no desire to frighten you. You will be frightened enough if you get into the course. You seem to think I care what you do. If you can handle drinking while doing the leaving, grand, good for you mate. Most of those that I went to school with and drank though the leaving never even made it to college.

Boston wrote:
    Holding people up as examples isn't my game........................
    Most of those that I went to school with and drank though the leaving never even made it to college.

Yes I am glad you don't hold up people as examples. And that you are such a logically consistant person.

Thanks dan719 you're pretty logical and consistant yourself. In fact you're a prime example of what all leaving cert students should be like.

In seriousness, I should have said I don't hold people up as role models for others. It's nice for you that you can mix getting falling down drunk with doing the leaving, but not everyone can be like you.

edit. I noticed the edit, I'm promoted from creature to person.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,794 ✭✭✭JC 2K3

Boston, just want to clarify something, when you say "drinking during the leaving" I presume you don't mean during the actual exams. I certainly won't be drinking over those two weeks.

run up to the exam period.

• Advertisement

I know, it not intentional nor meant to be offensive. I was just thinking of a strange quote about illogical creatures. To be honest I wanted to bring in russel's paradox of the set of sets, but decided that in order to do that I would have to call you a set. Which is a bit unfair in my opinion. Oh and just downright nerdy too.lol And I just want to clarify, I am not advocating drinking in the next fifty or so days, we are all old enough to make that decision. But I do believe the decision should be ours. Not only that but the leaving is not the 'be all and end all'. Its just an exam after all.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,194 ✭✭✭Corruptedmorals

This year I went out twice in January, once in the midterm, and once during easter (and tonight). After that, I won't be going out until June 13th. I appear to have a high tolerance, and I've suffered no ill effects from drinking this year, and no hangovers. Just a little weak feeling- but doesn't stop me from studying, and neither does not getting my 9 hours sleep. So I think I'm doing alright. I need 510 in the Leaving, I know what grades I have to get, I'm well motivated, and I'm studying consistently, but I'm not killing myself with pressure.

I got 405 in my mocks, which wasn't great, but, in all fairness (and every teacher said so too), they were corrected extremely hard. A lot of people I know managed to jump 100+ points between the 2, and while I'm not relying on that as if I'll automatically jump 105 points myself, it's nice to know it's possible, without killing myself and getting wrecked with pressure. My ideal is to get 515, and I'm fairly confident in getting at least 505. It always goes down in the second round, and while I'm not relying on that either, it'd be nice. I don't think drinking would be the reason if I failed to get my points.

dan719 wrote:
    I know, it not intentional nor meant to be offensive. I was just thinking of a strange quote about illogical creatures. To be honest I wanted to bring in russel's paradox of the set of sets, but decided that in order to do that I would have to call you a set. Which is a bit unfair in my opinion. Oh and just downright nerdy too.lol And I just want to clarify, I am not advocating drinking in the next fifty or so days, we are all old enough to make that decision. But I do believe the decision should be ours. Not only that but the leaving is not the 'be all and end all'. Its just an exam after all.

Thats a pretty fair stance.

Okay now theres nothing I can really say, agreement doesnt really breed conversation. Of course technically agreement doesn't breed anything....;)

This year I went out twice in January, once in the midterm, and once during easter (and tonight). After that, I won't be going out until June 13th. I appear to have a high tolerance, and I've suffered no ill effects from drinking this year, and no hangovers. Just a little weak feeling- but doesn't stop me from studying, and neither does not getting my 9 hours sleep. So I think I'm doing alright. I need 510 in the Leaving, I know what grades I have to get, I'm well motivated, and I'm studying consistently, but I'm not killing myself with pressure.

:p Not coming to the grads then no?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,225 ✭✭✭fillefatale

I went out over the easter, but I'm only going out for dinner for my mates 18th.. I don't like the girls who'll be going out after anyhow. But I'll be going out a weekend over May after our Grad Mass/Grad, thats about it until June 15th!!

Advertisement