Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ignoring a subject?

Options
  • 02-04-2007 7:43pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 201 ✭✭

I've found myself growing a strong hate for History. I was wondering what drawbacks there could possibly be in me just abandoning it and not doing a tap of study as to not interfere with subjects I have a good shot of doing well in. My school requires me to do 7 subjects so if I fail this is just won't be counted in my points, right?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,388 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Yeah, thats pretty much it, but you have to make sure to do perfectly in the other subjects to get the points you want. Thats the only thing I can think of if you plan to do that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,794 ✭✭✭JC 2K3

I'm sure your school won't mind you dropping it at this stage and will let you study in the extra class.

I'm ignoring French myself, but since I'll get a B anyway cos I happen to be good at it despite hating it I don't see the point in dropping it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 201 ✭✭Spank

I highly doubt they would let me drop it, but I'm thinking I could just study during the class myself. Our teacher isn't exactly the most engaging woman in the world. Seems like a shame to actually do a research project at this point though, considering I haven't even started it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 482 ✭✭Steve01

Spank wrote:
    Seems like a shame to actually do a research project at this point though, considering I haven't even started it.
    You haven't even STARTED it at this stage? I'm beginning to see your point about not doing a tap of work on history.
    I'd say buck up on your other 6 subjects and hope for the best.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 585 ✭✭✭lisajane

Thats what i did in school. I hated biology. and i knew if i sat the exam i would have failed and the last thing i wanted was an E or F in my leaving cert. So i didn't sit the exam.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,794 ✭✭✭JC 2K3

Spank wrote:
    I highly doubt they would let me drop it
    No harm in asking. I can't see why they wouldn't, couple of people in my year have dropped subjects despite initially having to do 7.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,149 ✭✭✭ZorbaTehZ

Seems like a shame to actually do a research project at this point though, considering I haven't even started it.

Lol - and you need help from us to decide?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,564 ✭✭✭Naikon

I dropped Irish as I dont need it,but History is my 6th subject and I cant drop.
    Look, schools nearly finished, so simply ask them like JC 2K3 suggested that its in your own interest at this stage.
    Its pretty pointless doing History if you have another subject to take its place unlike Me:o

• Registered Users Posts: 478 ✭✭GretchenWieners

i completely abandoned Economics last yr, i still sat the exam and got a D2. Now I'm repeating.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,878 ✭✭✭Rozabeez

I abandoned Home ec then shockingly passed it in the mocks, now I'm gonna do a bit of work for it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,026 ✭✭✭Killaqueen!!!

I'm in 4th year picking my Leaving Cert subjects and there's one 'group' of subjects that we have to pick from and I don't want to/can't do any of the subjects listed. I asked for a study class in that period where I would go up to the library and study for another subject, but they refused. I'm already doing 8 subjects (7 in school, of which Geography is the one I don't want to do) and 1 outside of school. So all together I have 7 subjects that I'm *concentrated* on so is it a good idea to ignore Geography all together? I have no interest in it and they won't let me have a study class so I refuse to work at a subject that I have no interest in and won't do well in and don't actually need to do well in.

But when it comes to projects, tests, homework...I'm going to have to do all that which is just getting more information in my brain with less room for the other subjects! Grrr...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭PurpleFistMixer

You might find that you actually like Geography. I was in the same situation, had a box with Business/Geog/Music in it, and it was my 8th subject... Picked Music in the end and it's one of my favourite subjects now! Thought I'd just drop it at some point in 5th year or so, but definitely not doing that now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 817 ✭✭✭md99

Ignored HL Maths till the pres, then took it up after... lol.. love it now.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,523 ✭✭✭ApeXaviour

lisajane wrote:
    Thats what i did in school. I hated biology. and i knew if i sat the exam i would have failed and the last thing i wanted was an E or F in my leaving cert. So i didn't sit the exam.
    This is very bad advice, if you have to sit in classes then at least sit the exam. I for all intents and purposes "dropped" french for my leaving. Wasn't going to sit the exam, being my 7th subject and not needing a 3rd language to get into trinity. My guidance counsellor implored me to at least sit it however, and I did.

Ordinary level french, I can't say but 3 words in the language. Skipped to reading comprehension, looked for where the text seemed similar to the questions, copied word for word. Couple of other short cut things like that. Nothing that required any form of preparation whatsoever. D1.... Well worth the couple hours that morning.

My advice to the O.P, if you haven't already then drop to ordinary. Go in on the morning of the exam and just use your common sense in answering the questions. Honestly doubt you'll fail if you've any even baseline bullshiiting skills.

Advertisement