Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Which Exterior Doors are best?

• 02-04-2007 7:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10

I want to get new front and back doors (stable door in the back)... there are so many different kinds. Insulation is the priority, cos we froze over the winter & can't afford double glazing this year.

Are timber doors effective? Or should I go for one of those super-insulated types. They seem a lot more pricey and I don't know if it's really worth it.

Anyone got any suggestions? :confused:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,462 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

An insulated door will keep some heat in, but dont expect to notice it,
    its 2 m.sq, over the whole house. marginal difference

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,182 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

make sure whatever door you get is going to be sealed well.
    Last thing you want is an ill fitting door with a draught.
    I replaced my wooden front door with a PVC one. Unfortunately it was installed by Senator windows and so it still has a draught, however its still much much better than the "leaky" wooden one, even with the yards of insulating foam...:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,523 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

On my 3rd timber door (2 year old house) between warping and cracking etc and they were treated and painted as per the spec with great care. Timber looks lot better but would go with pvc if I had the choice, you have to paint timber each year in theory for the lasting effect.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭thekooman

just put in a "composite" PVC door from Gradys in charlestown. its a mix of fibre and PVC and to anyone looking at, it looks like timber. no cracking, warping and behaves in the same manner as a PVC door.
    as for insulation numbers, i don't know. the surrounding door frame is still timber though.you will pay alot more but there is no maintenance and if you want to paint it a different colour, you can.

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭Katz83

thekooman wrote: »
    just put in a "composite" PVC door from Gradys in charlestown. its a mix of fibre and PVC and to anyone looking at, it looks like timber. no cracking, warping and behaves in the same manner as a PVC door.
    as for insulation numbers, i don't know. the surrounding door frame is still timber though.you will pay alot more but there is no maintenance and if you want to paint it a different colour, you can.

got a price from gradys for windows and composite door. Quiet good. Just wondering did you have any problems with your door. Met with a different window company today MJ and they were telling us to run a mile from a composite door.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭thekooman

Katz83 wrote: »
    got a price from gradys for windows and composite door. Quiet good. Just wondering did you have any problems with your door. Met with a different window company today MJ and they were telling us to run a mile from a composite door.

its perfect Katz... If i was to put in a door again it would this one. Closes perfectly.... no warping or anything. There is no direct sunlight on it so no problems on that side. it has never faded from the black colour that it is.

We have a PVC door at the back of the house and its constantly expanding once the sun comes on it in the afternoon.... its fine again later in the evening.
    One thing that happened to our back door was that we left keys on the inside of the door, locked it from the outside with another key and when we came back later no way could we get the door open from outside because the key was inside. ask Gradys why would this happen.... im curious! it shouldn't let you lock it from outside when a key is inside.

let us know how it goes.

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭Katz83

thekooman wrote: »
    its perfect Katz... If i was to put in a door again it would this one. Closes perfectly.... no warping or anything. There is no direct sunlight on it so no problems on that side. it has never faded from the black colour that it is.

We have a PVC door at the back of the house and its constantly expanding once the sun comes on it in the afternoon.... its fine again later in the evening.
    One thing that happened to our back door was that we left keys on the inside of the door, locked it from the outside with another key and when we came back later no way could we get the door open from outside because the key was inside. ask Gradys why would this happen.... im curious! it shouldn't let you lock it from outside when a key is inside.

let us know how it goes.

Thats great thanks very much for the reply so many decision to make this site is great to get other peoples opinions. Next time im talking to the rep i will say it to him.

Advertisement