Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Senegal Parrot Breeders.

Options
  • 02-04-2007 8:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,324 ✭✭✭

Like the tag says, was wondering if anybody here knows of anybody who breeds and hand rears Senegal Parrots?.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 kip119011

I'm a big fan of senegal's, my friend inadvertently left my door open and i lost my beloved bird and i searched for ages before i found a dealer i was happy with. It is Adlington Pets in Adlington, Lancashire. Google it and you'll find website. I purchased a 12 week old a few weeks ago and it was a truly well balanced bird even at that tender age. I never thought i'd replace my mate and its been a bonus to find a place that has sold me a bird that has been easy to train. Hope it helps mate

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

I'm starting to think that a hand reared parrot isn't always best, because as they mature they haven't learned the life skills that their feathered parents would teach them and can delvelope behavioural problems ..what do others think?

Where ever you get the bird do be careful ensure that it's a genuinely captive bred bird and even some of the larger well known bird breeders may not be ideal.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,324 ✭✭✭tallus

Apparently parent reared birds aren't as prone to plucking as hand reared birds are...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 601 ✭✭✭Rory123

I'm starting to think that a hand reared parrot isn't always best, because as they mature they haven't learned the life skills that their feathered parents would teach them and can delvelope behavioural problems ..what do others think?

Where ever you get the bird do be careful ensure that it's a genuinely captive bred bird and even some of the larger well known bird breeders may not be ideal.

Couldn't agree with you less to be honest. What life skills do you think parent birds teach their young?

If one wants to have a bird with no behavioural problems you simply need to provide it with plenty of interaction, varied diet, time out of the cage, and lots of distractions such as toys.
    A bird will never have the same bond with a human owner if it is parent-reared.

Advertisement