Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

DSG anyone?

Options
  • 02-04-2007 9:18pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,650 ✭✭✭

Anyone have this, especially with steering wheel paddle-shift? I'm 99% decided on getting this on a Golf GTi. I haven't driven one. I know what it does but how does it it differ from the manual from a driving perspective. Does it take getting used to etc. Is it not mad, I mean no clutch!

The Fifth Gear review convinced me, here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2lY9ZGSck0I (4mins).

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

I drove one recently, and was literally blown away. I've driven a lot of flappy paddle gearboxes - M5 & M6, BMW's SMG, MINIs CVT, and the Golf Gti's DSG was just as quick as the M5, but smoother. Unreal!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,650 ✭✭✭shayser

That's what I wanna hear! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,748 ✭✭✭Do-more

Here's a lightly damaged one for ya!

Didn't bother calculating an on the road price for it so it could be mad money....

invest4deepvalue.com

• Registered Users Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭whippet

I have one on order, another 3 weeks !!

I took both the manual and the DSG out for good long test drives and to behonest there wasn't any doubt in my mind after using the DSG. You don't need to use the paddles, you can use the stick or just leave it in manual.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,398 ✭✭✭fletch

I drove one recently and thought it was awesome too. However I'm not sure I would bother using the paddles as you could easily get confused as they are attached to the steering wheel and as such, spin with it so you'd kind of need to wait til you are driving straight to change gear otherwise you might hit the wrong paddle.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭tvr

Does the Golf DSG have no clutch pedal?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,398 ✭✭✭fletch

tvr wrote:
    Does the Golf DSG have no clutch pedal?
    Yes it has no clutch pedal.

Was wondering what it's like tipping about town where on a manual there would be a lot of clutch work. Also, is it a case of "handbrake on" on a hill where with a manual you could hold the clutch.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,441 ✭✭✭JoeA3

Shayser, on my test drive, I used both "D" (Drive) and "S" (Sport). In D mode, the car behaved like any auto. Gears changed up/down low-down the rev-range. So this would be perfect for stop-start in town. In S mode, the car did not change up gear until the rev-counter was bouncing off the limiter! Lots of fun. Then there's semi-auto mode, where you can use the paddles, but the car will actually over-ride this if you forget to change up yourself. You can also use the gear lever itself rather than the paddles, to change up/down.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,462 ✭✭✭TheBazman

I agree with all of the above - have driven the DSG and found it great. I seem to remember someone saying that they found the DSG a little indecisive in city driving (ie) changing at wrong times. However I never found that. Probably worth making sure that the paddles come with the DSG (I think you may have to order them as an option seperately)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭omega man

Personally i fell it takes away from real driving. Yes its slightly quicker and obviously easier to drive than the manual version. Also i dont think it can be remapped either due to a torque limit on the dsg whereas the manaul can be remapped to 250bhp. In saying that, the dsg system is a quality enjoyable drive but give me a manual any day.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,083 ✭✭✭paddydriver

Think this might be my first post as I have been lurking for a while:cool:

Anyway, I can thoroughly recommend the DSG - you end up never actually using the paddles or the shifter, and if you want real performance then just drop it to "S".

We have a GTI little over a year now and it is still as great as the day we got it. My wife goes mad when I come home and tell her how fast her car is:p

Paddy

omega man wrote:
    Personally i fell it takes away from real driving. Yes its slightly quicker and obviously easier to drive than the manual version. Also i dont think it can be remapped either due to a torque limit on the dsg whereas the manaul can be remapped to 250bhp. In saying that, the dsg system is a quality enjoyable drive but give me a manual any day.
    Was wondering about a loss of the driving "experience". Was also considering a remap actually. Definitely can't be done with a DSG?

shayser wrote:
    Was wondering about a loss of the driving "experience". Was also considering a remap actually. Definitely can't be done with a DSG?

Think it can be tuned in some way but not in the relm of the manual due to the torque limit. Needs a bit of research tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,381 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Think this might be my first post as I have been lurking for a while:cool:

Welcome to the motors section, paddydriver :)
    My wife goes mad when I come home and tell her how fast her car is:p

Do you let her drive your car too? :eek: :p

shayser wrote:

From reading some UK forums it looks like some tuning companies are remapping the VAG DSG's but its very unknown territory at the moment. More of an element of risk involved which a few power junkies are not too bothered about. If you intened to go the remap route down the line i would go for the manual gti but tbh the dsg has more than enough power for every day use. In saying that im now wanting a remap on my octavia vrs after only 8 months!!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

Omega Man - have you owned a DSG?

I have, and put 10k on it. It out performs any manual in terms of shift speed, smoothness and tbh, comfort.

It adds to driving perfromance, not detracts. Otherwise it wouldn't be fitted to the Veyron, for example.....

It also uses LESS juice than a manual. Town driving is as per automatic.

When people refer to re-mapping they refer to the engine map, so you need clarify which you're referring to - engine or gearbox. There is no limit on your engine map, and as for torque limit, there is probably a ceiling in the system somewhere for now, but DSG first made it's appearance in the V6 TT and Veyron. Neither are considered low-torque motors. It is currently being evaluated by Porsche as a replacement for their historic Tiptronic (which I've also owned, btw......), and no-one is going to tell me that a 997 is a low-torque motor, either......

so, have you owned one?

Shayser - see above re: mapping.

To the OP: buy one, you won't regret it..........

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

galwaytt wrote:
    Omega Man - have you owned a DSG?

I have, and put 10k on it. It out performs any manual in terms of shift speed, smoothness and tbh, comfort.

It adds to driving perfromance, not detracts. Otherwise it wouldn't be fitted to the Veyron, for example.....

It also uses LESS juice than a manual. Town driving is as per automatic.

When people refer to re-mapping they refer to the engine map, so you need clarify which you're referring to - engine or gearbox. There is no limit on your engine map, and as for torque limit, there is probably a ceiling in the system somewhere for now, but DSG first made it's appearance in the V6 TT and Veyron. Neither are considered low-torque motors. It is currently being evaluated by Porsche as a replacement for their historic Tiptronic (which I've also owned, btw......), and no-one is going to tell me that a 997 is a low-torque motor, either......

so, have you owned one?

Shayser - see above re: mapping.

To the OP: buy one, you won't regret it..........

No but i test drove the 2 Golf gti versions and as i said PERSONALLY i prefered the manual so less of the third degree thank you. As for remapping, i think its obvious i was talking about engine tuning unless you can gain 50bhp on the gti from gearbox mapping! If you noticed my last post i said remapping is an unknown quantity on dsg's at the moment only.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,495 ✭✭✭AlanD

there is a definite limit on how much torque you can put through the DSG box because of a remap. This is in relation to the DSG that comes on Golfs, Skoda's, Seats, etc. Not the DSG that's in the Veyron, which is certainly not an identical piece of mechanical engineering. It's similar and could be made with tougher materials, but not the same.

For example, you can remap a 1.9 tdi with dsg but you can't remap a 2.0 tdi with dsg because you'll exceed the torque limit for that particular gearbox and the gearbox may tear itself apart.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,083 ✭✭✭paddydriver

unkel wrote:
    Welcome to the motors section, paddydriver :)

Do you let her drive your car too? :eek: :p

Thanks unkel. Hope to hang around for while:D

She drives me around the bend sometimes, but gotta live with it now:rolleyes:

Paddy

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 558 ✭✭✭mrbungle

omega man wrote:
    From reading some UK forums it looks like some tuning companies are remapping the VAG DSG's but its very unknown territory at the moment. More of an element of risk involved which a few power junkies are not too bothered about. If you intened to go the remap route down the line i would go for the manual gti but tbh the dsg has more than enough power for every day use. In saying that im now wanting a remap on my octavia vrs after only 8 months!!

A load of guys over on tyresmoke.net have had they're MKV GTI DSG's remapped and modded etc to 250bhp, no problems reported, except sometimes at VW geting the prog wipped onthe ECU after servicing, but a lot of guys get they're cars back with the mod intact. A lot of these guys would have done a lot of research and probing before modding.

Buy the DSG, you won't be dissapointed !! I have mine a yr and 38k kms on it, it's addictive !! Wife keeps stealing it on my days off !

You'll end up never using the paddles, (now standard since Nov 05). Bit of a novelty.

Stick it in 'S' and let rip.

Never had any problems in the city with gear selection ?? The DSG learns you style of driving, I've often noticed if she uses it for 3-4 days that it behave differently to my driving when I get back into it. It over-revs a bit when I get it back, I think she must be ripping the ar$e out of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,557 ✭✭✭The tax man

YYAARRR there mrbungle. Was going to post about my spin in your GTI. Thought you were mad getting an automatic GTI until I drove it. DSG+GTI match made in heaven,matey.:D
    Wife keeps stealing it on my days off !
    Scary!!!

Me thinks you should trade in the Polo for the GTI version.

YYAARRR there mrbungle. Was going to post about my spin in your GTI. Thought you were mad getting an automatic GTI until I drove it. DSG+GTI match made in heaven,matey.:D

Scary!!!

Me thinks you should trade in the Polo for the GTI version.

Ahoy ! You must give me a shout soon, the back roads of Ardee hey, need a scalding !!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,557 ✭✭✭The tax man

mrbungle wrote:
    Ahoy ! You must give me a shout soon, the back roads of Ardee hey, need a scalding !!

I'll bring the water you provide the kettle.:D :D

BTW DSG FTW!!

mrbungle wrote:

You'll end up never using the paddles, (now standard since Nov 05). Bit of a novelty.
    Hmm, it's listed as a €391 option. Did you get the paddles as standard?

shayser wrote:
    Hmm, it's listed as a €391 option. Did you get the paddles as standard?

PM sent !

• Registered Users Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭jayok

My wife goes mad when I come home and tell her how fast her car is:p

Brilliant - I've got to try that one! :D

Shayser, the 391 option also includes buttons on the wheel for the radio, fuel computer, etc.

JoeA3 wrote:
    Shayser, the 391 option also includes buttons on the wheel for the radio, fuel computer, etc.
    Cheers, was thinking that might be the case. VW are are as clear as mud. You've just thrown up another question though... the fuel computer is an option too. From what you say, I take it that if you buy the multifunction steering the fuel computer comes inc.?

• Advertisement

A fuel computer does actually come as standard, but it is of limited functionality, and is half the physical screen size of the full computer. The full computer also allows you set up stuff like the auto-locking, auto lights, which you'd otherwise need the dealer to do.
    And yes, the full computer comes as standard with the multi-function wheel, or can be ordered on its own (which I did). Here's how it looks
    DSC00032.jpg

Advertisement