Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

CWC Day 23 Thread - Ireland against South Africa

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,854 ✭✭✭zuutroy

These 2 are just knockin out the singles

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,605 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

zuutroy wrote:
    I think that hump in the SA run rate is down to Mooney alone...He put us in a hole

Not to mention his golden duck. Not a good day for Mr Mooney alright

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,726 ✭✭✭✭DMC

zuutroy wrote:
    I think that hump in the SA run rate is down to Mooney alone...He put us in a hole

Not really. SA should've tried to get to 160 within 20 overs. NRR will be huge to SA, in the attempt to get into the semis. Fair play to the Irish for keeping it tight enough.

NRR is crucial to Ireland too, we are 7th on NRR alone. More prize money for the lads.

Surely his 2 for 23 would be seen as costly though?

DMC wrote:
    Not really. SA should've tried to get to 160 within 20 overs. NRR will be huge to SA, in the attempt to get into the semis. Fair play to the Irish for keeping it tight enough.

NRR is crucial to Ireland too, we are 7th on NRR alone. More prize money for the lads.

Big (winnable) game against Bangladesh to come as well

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

DMC wrote:

What's NRR? :) /never mind, googled it.

SA have been averaging 4 per over for ages now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,870 ✭✭✭mikeruurds

DMC wrote:
    Mike... looks like it won't be the win and massive improvement in net run rate South Africa would've looked for at the start of this?

Imo it's more difficult to improve NRR in a rain shortened match. A win will do :)

Edit: Bangladesh game is coming :D

I still don't think so. Ireland have controlled the wides and no balls that blighted earlier matches. 4 extras so far. Botha's and Rankin's economy rate have negated Mooney's excesses.

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭Quixote1064

A bit like the last two games. Ireland not getting battered but never really at the races. A few if onlys - no overs from Mooney, Rankin and Johnston take the catches and who knows? Hope still for a repeat of the Pakistan experience in the Super 8's?

eirebhoy wrote:
    What's NRR? :)

SA have been averaging 4 per over for ages now.

NRR (Net run rate) is the equivalent of goal difference in soccer Eirebhoy, used to place teams in the event of points being the same at the end of the league stage

• Advertisement

A bit like the last two games. Ireland not getting battered but never really at the races. A few if onlys - no overs from Mooney, Rankin and Johnston take the catches and who knows? Hope still for a repeat of the Pakistan experience in the Super 8's?

Would love to see them give the Aussie's at least a scare. I have plenty of mouthy Aussie mates!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,632 ✭✭✭darkman2

NRR: Net Run Rate I think.
    Ireland have given SA a good game here IMO despite the inevitable thats about to happen.

Its unfortunate that some commentators (especially the English) have a really bad attitude to the team. 'Shouldnt be here etc etc'.

Ireland are 200/1 on Betfair. SA must be just happy with the way it's going?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,800 ✭✭✭county

32 from 48

The Sky commentators (by which I mean the Botham's and Atherton's) don't want us to be here. But I've only heard good from Tony Cozier and the radio boys.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Well it is like Shels in the Champions League knock out stage.

128 for 3 after 27

Mike.

South Africa 128/3 after 27 overs.

Foot on the gas now... 4 then 6 this over...

DMC wrote:
    South Africa 128/3 after 27 overs.
    Still averaging exactly 4 per over which would make it a tie. :D;)

/Ah they finally put in a decent over.

I really noticed that in Botham during the England match...current guys on the net stream are quite complimentary

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,179 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

darkman2 wrote:
    NRR: Net Run Rate I think.
    Ireland have given SA a good game here IMO despite the inevitable thats about to happen.

Its unfortunate that some commentators (especially the English) have a really bad attitude to the team. 'Shouldnt be here etc etc'.

I don't think it's especially the English. Mike Atherton and Michael Holding were the two who were most against the associate teams playing in the world cup. They considered it a waste of time. They weren't just talking about Ireland though, Scotland, Holland, Canada and Barbados too.

DMC wrote:
    The Sky commentators (by which I mean the Botham's and Atherton's) don't want us to be here. But I've only heard good from Tony Cozier and the radio boys.

Yes, that despite the fact we have given England and Pakistan a good enough game. The England game was definatley not uncompetitive and this game could still be uncomfortably close for SA.

DMC wrote:

Their (Botham & Atherton's) side are ****e... they shouldn't flap their lips too much.

Ireland's performance in this WC has made England's look pitiful in comparison (relatively speaking).

Athers was always a whiner. His losing speeches (of which there were many) were always painful to watch.

I'd consider Holding a English Sky commentator, since he's always there in the English summer and overseas winter.

Ireland are not your average minnow. They have to realise that now.

I don't think it's especially the English. Mike Atherton and Michael Holding were the two who were most against the associate teams playing in the world cup. They considered it a waste of time. They weren't just talking about Ireland though, Scotland, Holland, Canada and Barbados too.

Well more fool them if they want to keep it as a closed shop. Ireland's performance has raised the profile of the game hugely IMO. They're just afraid of more people beating them at their own game!

It makes you wonder, if they were in charge, just how in gods name they would grow their sport with an attitude like that. Cricket will never be popular unless it gets exposure from unlikely countries. Smacks of eliteism tbh.

• Advertisement

zuutroy wrote:
    They're just afraid of more people beating them at their own game!

You'd think that former English cricketers would've got rid of that superiority complex years ago, after all the hammerings they've had down the years! :D

DMC wrote:
    You'd think that former English cricketers would've got rid of that superiority complex years ago, after all the hammerings they've had down the years! :D

Agreed. And they'll get many more with their pompous attitude towards the competition.

5 overs left. 10 more runs to get. SA win but hardly the most convincing id hazard to think from supposedly the best team in the world.:rolleyes:

Have we given up over the last 5 or are SA turning the screw?

mikeruurds wrote:
    Their (Botham & Atherton's) side are ****e... they shouldn't flap their lips too much.

I've always been of the opinion that former players shouldn't be given a microphone on retirement. There are exceptions, but on the whole, let them learn to be journalists first...

Some of the best commentators are not former players. CMJ, Tony Cozier, Jim Maxwell... where is old Blowers! My dear old thing! :D

• Advertisement

zuutroy wrote:

SA are turning the screw. The ball is old now and runs are flowing freely.

zuutroy wrote:

Not turning the screw, more like just picking off singles

5 to win from 25 balls

DMC wrote:
    I've always been of the opinion that former players shouldn't be given a microphone on retirement. There are exceptions, but on the whole, let them learn to be journalists first...

Some of the best commentators are not former players. CMJ, Tony Cozier, Jim Maxwell... where is old Blowers! My dear old thing! :D

Maybe I'm just biased, but I find it's mostly the English commentators that are the problem.

I don't have a problem with most Windy, Aussie and SA ex-players who have turned to commentating.

county wrote:
    5 to win from 25 balls

Similar situation to Zimbabwe then :)

Its as dark outside here in Dublin...

DMC wrote:

:D You wish.

DMC wrote:
    chancing your arm a bit there

4 from 22

Look at that... not giving in til the game is won.... certain boundary...

But a 6 to win.

South Africa win by 7 wickets (D/L method)

Nice effort again....Hope we can win one (maybe 2???!!) of the remaing few! night lads!

• Advertisement

scores level

edit/ all over SA win by 7 wickets

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 2,659 Mod ✭✭✭✭TrueDub

DMC wrote:

Best radio commentator out there: a West Indian lady called Donna Simmons. She appears on TMS in Eng v WI series, and she's streets ahead of most of the other commentators.

Another great performance. Ireland really answering the critics.

Proud of ye boys!

TrueDub wrote:
    Best radio commentator out there: a West Indian lady called Donna Simmons. She appears on TMS in Eng v WI series, and she's streets ahead of most of the other commentators.

I did enjoy her a few years back. A very good feature on TMS in Wisden this year TrueDub, worth checking out.

Ireland's net run rate improves.. it was -1.019 its now -0.79

Tables to come soon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,240 ✭✭✭Endurance Man

Only got to see SA's batting, Kallis was a machine as usual, paced himself well and played some insane cricket shots.
    Ireland played well, fielding was a bit slack but that catch from Johnson was immense. His gay little dance afterwards however was gay ^^.

Super Eights table after South Africa v Ireland
    Super Eights  	Mat  	Won  	Lost  	Tied  	N/R  	Pts  	Net RR  	
    Australia 	3 	3 	0 	0 	0 	6 	+2.014 		
    New Zealand 	3 	3 	0 	0 	0 	6 	+1.437 		
    Sri Lanka 	3 	2 	1 	0 	0 	4 	+2.069 		
    South Africa 	3 	2 	1 	0 	0 	4 	-0.47	
    England 	2 	1 	1 	0 	0 	2 	+0.047 		
    West Indies 	4 	1 	3 	0 	0 	2 	-1.177 		
    Ireland 	3 	0 	3 	0 	0 	0 	-0.79		
    Bangladesh 	3 	0 	3 	0 	0 	0 	-3.357

Only got to see SA's batting, Kallis was a machine as usual, paced himself well and played some insane cricket shots.
    Ireland played well, fielding was a bit slack but that catch from Johnson was immense. His gay little dance afterwards however was gay ^^.

It was teh ghey Irish jig.

Highly entertaining :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,240 ✭✭✭Endurance Man

mikeruurds wrote:
    It was teh ghey Irish jig.

Highly entertaining :D

I was eating chinese and almost got sick :p .

• Advertisement

I was eating chinese and almost got sick :p .

That catch made me sick... it was that good :p

Advertisement