Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wisdom of general anesthetic

• 02-04-2007 9:44pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭

I consulted with an Oral Surgeon today and it's left me fairly confused. The guy was pleasant enough but I did feel afterwards like I was meat on a conveyor belt, as I hardly had any opportunity to speak nevermind ask a question. He has me signed up for four wisdom teeth extractions in roughly two weeks time, done under General Anesthetic. One tooth is impacted, one has failed to emerge correctly meaning the upper teeth are coming down slightly too far. Overall though I'm not in any major discomfort currently, it's mainly the impacted tooth that is the key problem in my mouth.

What I'd like some advice or comments on is the general anesthetic - my understanding of "GA" was that is was only a last resort really and best avoided if possible. My situation, to me, sounds like I don't need all four taken out at once and hence, the crux issue for me, I don't really need GA? I never really got the opportunity to discuss this today with the Oral Surgeon and now I just feel frustrated ... and it didn't strike me as the kind of place I could just ring up for a chat etc...

Secondly, are there many oral surgeons in Dublin. are they all like this (ie a bit cavalier)? Should I perhaps cancel and get a second opinion as I feel I'm being rushed into something I don't really understand?

Any comment/experiences very welcome.

Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,376 ✭✭✭metrovelvet

Ive had GA for an impacted wisdom tooth. And I can see why they would remove the others while you're under. May as well get it over with. Chances are they will eventually bother you. I had a particulary difficult extraction of one while under GA - took 3 weeks to recover, looked like marlon brando, couldn't eat solids, had bruising all up my neck.

When your tooth is impacted they have to slice open the gum to remove it. In my case they had to smash up the tooth and remove it bit by bit, so it really was surgery. Its not like a normal extraction, especially if its a lower wisdom. They also tied my hands down because you can dream and move [they said so] when you're under GA.

GA is not a big deal. Its great actually. I wish I could have it for every trip to the dentist.

Be prepared for recovery to take longer than you think. And excersise your jaw. Ask about post operative recovery too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

I'd say its simply more efficient to do all at once, and I assume at least one tooth is not suitable for extraction without GA. They probably couldn't sedate you enough to do without GA. You could always as for a 2nd opinion, or simply get back on to the Oral Surgeon you've seen with your questions.

Advertisement