Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Recommend me a diesel estate

Options
  • 02-04-2007 9:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭

I was looking at an Audi A6 estate(Avant) and was trying to decide whether to go for the 2.5tdi 6 pot or the 1.9tdi 4 cyl.
    I know that there will be a large difference in road tax but does anyone have any other ideas about similar type vehicles?
    I am looking at 10 grand or so for a vehicle and age doesn't really worry me as much as miles, so I am reckoning on a 98-00 vintage car.
    I figure on about 13k a year mileage.
    ideas?

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Why bother with a diesel at that kind of mileage?

The 2.5 A6 is much rarer here and more expensive to run.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

For 10 k you could get a reasonably nice Citroen C5 110 bhp HDI with a 2002 -2003 "vintage"

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Sorry but I don't do French, I know, I know, they are comfortable and all the rest but the way they are built doesn't do much for me.
    I will hold onto this car for a lot longer than the 00 Corolla estate that I have now, and I just like driving diesels rather than petrol cars.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,651 ✭✭✭Captain Slow IRL

ford mondeo or focus - cheap to run and pretty reliable

After seeing my mates 04 Mondeo Estate go back and forth to the garage umpteen times I kind of lost faith in the brand.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Focus 1.8 TDCI is a fine all round car. Look for one with a/c.

Mondeo's are fine too. Enormous and a good used buy. They are reliable generally. Your pal got a bad'un sadly. 2.0 TDCI Zetec is the best one. Import is a good option.

I really need it to be larger than the Focus, 2 kids and associated paraphernalia make it necessary!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,502 ✭✭✭✭fits

edit... wrong thread!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭Mc-BigE

The 1.9TDI would be cheaper to tax and better resale value than the bigger 2.5TDI, but you'll probably get a better spec and quattro with the 2.5tdi.

you'll get a better selection of the bigger engined car in the UK, there's plenty of 1.9tdi already in ireland to choose from, A4 Avant would be also a good option and more of them around.
    here a nice 2.5 a6 avant http://www.usedcars.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=554616

if you going for the Audi, look out for the quattro TDI models , rare but good.

other options:
    BMW 525d sport Touring E39 , big car, sport spec is nice but harder to get.

BMW 530d Sport Touring E39 if road tax isn't an issue.

Saab 95 estate maybe

the Big Volvo Estate or http://www.usedcars.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=591131

but for 10K euro might be difficult to get a good one of any of the above.

better still have a look yourself on carzone, here's an example, filtered down to diesel estate for under 11K euro:
    http://www.usedcars.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=search&startrow=101&maxrows=100&FuelID=2&BodyID=4235&Price_Max=11000&GroupID=738&SortBy=MakeAsc

• Registered Users Posts: 519 ✭✭✭cujimmy

skoda octavia 1.9tdi

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,651 ✭✭✭Captain Slow IRL

CJhaughey wrote:
    After seeing my mates 04 Mondeo Estate go back and forth to the garage umpteen times I kind of lost faith in the brand.

Depends on the garage! Fords are prone to producing "monday morning" and "friday afternoon" cars but the majority of them don't give much trouble. Dual-mass flywheel's gave the biggest trouble when I worked with ford - if you're looking at one, try to find out if it's had one replaced under warranty. Lovely cars to drive as well, hold the road very well - a tdci would be a better choice over the tddi but you gotta make sure to service them within the mileage quoted.

Advertisement