Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Broadband and Sky Digital tv set up boxes -wireless telephone extenders

Options
  • 02-04-2007 10:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭

Costly lesson ! I have BT broadband and just recently switched from NTL to Sky multiroom . Why am I posting this here you might ask . The reason is to let you know that I decided to buy dect telephone extenders ( at 50stg each) to save having to put additional telephone extension cables around the house . Unfortunately they don't work and will only work on analogue lines ( even with filters/splitters). So if you have broadband and are getting a sky package that has to be connected to a phone line - hardwire it. Its cheaper!!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

They will work on lines with Broadband, but only if good quality DECT base unit..

A good quality master splitter for all the phone sockets is a good idea.

But neither Fax nor Digibox will work on some LLU / VOIP dsl systems.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭dak

The one I bought were " One for All SV 1550" . The Company specifies in their FAQ's that they do not support ASDL or ISDN even with filters. They say that even with spliters/ filters it digitalises the signal . I would appreciate it if you could please tell me where I could get extenders that do work - I couldn't find any alternatives on the net. I have filters on all sockets - still doesn't work.

Can the Wireless Phone Line Extender handle ISDN, ADSL or broad band/Cable modem?

No, the product works with analogue phone signal only. Even when the line may be analogue (Filter/Splitter), the use of ISDN or ADSL will “digitalise” the signal.
    This means you can't pass ADSL or ISDN signals OVER the connection, not that it won't work plugged into a phone socket.

How far away are the sockets from each other? Did you try the extension with a regular phone? Note the ADSL filter must be on the socket the master plugs into. The slave does not need (as they point out, a filter on the slave won't work) a filter.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭dak

watty wrote:
    This means you can't pass ADSL or ISDN signals OVER the connection, not that it won't work plugged into a phone socket.

How far away are the sockets from each other? Did you try the extension with a regular phone? Note the ADSL filter must be on the socket the master plugs into. The slave does not need (as they point out, a filter on the slave won't work) a filter.

Sockets are ony 30 feet apart. Have an asdl filter on the master but not on the slave. Some one suggested it could be a problem with a 6 second delay in the exchange when using 142 prefix on sky digibox . I don't know how I would check this out ?

Try out the "send Sky an email comment" option under interactive somewhere. It shows state of line, call progress, email progress. With & Without prefix

try without a prefix. Sky don't actually need your number... The multiroom is a bit cleverer than that. As long as you only have one outgoing line for both Digiboxes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,994 ✭✭✭lynchie

Yeah, I have the same unit and it doesnt work either.. Kinda pissed off now that I bought them.. My line is dsl enabled, but even without any dsl router / filters in any of the sockets, the unit doesnt work with my hd box. If i plug a normal phone in, I can dial perfectly, it just doesnt work with the sky box.

So they must be rubbish quality. A Good DECT extension will work with Fax and 33k dialup modems.

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭Patrickof

I have both the one for all sv1550 and 1500 working. The 1550 is DECT while the 1500 uses the ESB cabling in your house to transmit the signal around.

Note the 1550 does NOT work with sky+ (not sure about sky hd), but I can verify it does work with the pace regular sky box. The 1500 works with both.

What colour LED is on the front of the extension unit? My 1550 had a red LED (manual said to call customer service if this happens) and they told me it means the two units have lost their automatically negotiated security codes allowing them to talk to each other. To re-establish the codes, just connect a phone cable from one to the other and leave it for about a minute, the LED should go back to green.

Advertisement