Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Patchy and weedy lawn

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,676 ✭✭✭✭smashey

Links aren't working.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭Nick Lawson

I'll try again

P1010532.jpg
    P1010531.jpg
    P1010530.jpg
    P1010529.jpg
    P1010528.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 21,676 ✭✭✭✭smashey

You might want to crop those images.

Anyway, there is some good info here.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,988 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

i've got similar problems with my lawn - its a relatively new house and the builders (unsurprisingly) did a half-assed job on the lawn. lots of moss and clover, not much grass.

My plan:
    rake out any dead grass and weeds
    mow
    throw down feed, weed, and mosskiller
    rake out dead moss
    spike, top-dress & then re-seed.

just waiting for some wet weather to put down the feed&weed (typical, just when you want some rain we get a dry spell).

Anyone any opinions on this? I'm no expert, and I don't really want to tear up the lawn and start again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭Nick Lawson

Just a thought- when spreading extra grass seed is it alright to cut the grass afterwards without vacuuming up the seed?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭garyh3

HI

Looks to me that it was done by hand as I had the same issue. The guy who did my back garden, was a guy calling around the new estate looking for work to do some landscaping... Yep I hired him to rotivate and put seed down as I was busy on other stuff...(He just threw the seed down) Well when the grass came up it was sooo patchy... It has taken about 1 - 2 years to sort out....

I found curtting the grass regular does promote growth, + I used the mulcher on the mower rather than pick up the grass.

Looking at the pics I would say that you def need to spike the ground looks very compact....

and as loyatemu says Rake those weeds up & moss, Weed&feed and a bit of topsoil but its gonna take time :)

Garyh3

• Registered Users Posts: 27,164 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

well from the first few pics your problem is obvious.
    You are using the fence as a lawn and the garden as your fence!
    that idiot builder put it all in sideways :D

Seriously, as said above:
    1) feed and weed to get rid of the bad stuff
    2) rake up when dead
    3) if its compacted badly break it up a bit with a fork
    4) get some compost and topsoil/dressing/sharp sand
    5) spread some seed around the garden and rake over so its covered by the topsoil/sand/compost/mulch mix

6) make sure its all kept nice and moist but not drowned
    7) let it get to about 2-3 inches before mowing and try to stay off it.
    8) Only take 1/3rd of it off when mowing but gradually reduce the height

also FYI, depending on the agreement you guys had with your gardener it might not be his fault.

If its was just a once off thing then you needed to look after it once he was finished.
    Did you water it through the summer, especially while it was newly planted.
    June was hot and dry last year, seeds sown then would need a sprinkling everyday to prevent them from drying out. Once the seed drys out its dead and will not some back...

Dont let the same thing happen again this year, though if you sow now it will be much hardier than something sown in June...bad time for grass is June...

• Registered Users Posts: 10 AliKat

I had similar but worse problems with my lawn... the book called "The Lawn Expert" is a simple, illustrated, calendared friend. Makes transforming your lawn into a most enjoyable little project. From reseeding, to cutting and inserting patches, to aerating... and all with lots of pictures!!

My lawn is now looking great. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,537 ✭✭✭joseph brand

Why does the lasp post smell like an advertisement?? :eek:

My lawn is similar, I think, like me, you have a lot of clay in your soil which loves to compact into that solid muck. Soil needs some sand I think??

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 432 ✭✭Linford

Why does the lasp post smell like an advertisement?? :eek:

My lawn is similar, I think, like me, you have a lot of clay in your soil which loves to compact into that solid muck. Soil needs some sand I think??

I have similar problems to the OP. Can you just lay the sand over the grass or should I dig up the grass, mix in some sand with my very clayie soil and start again?

You want to spread Sharp Sand over your lawn and then either brush or rake in.

Its recommended that you use Garden Sharp Sand as it doesnt have the Lime content of builders sharp sand but I have used both without a problem.
    The sand will make its way intot he lawn and improve the grass, pole forking (or just using a garden fork to make holes) before hand will help it mix but is hard work on any large garden

Advertisement