Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Reccomend me a case

Options
  • 02-04-2007 11:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭

I'm looking for a case to replace the bargain-bin piece of crap I'm using at the moment. I'd like a midi tower with some kind of noise-silencing features, as currently my rig is very noisy.

Hardware to go into it:
    Abit AB9 Pro
    Intel E6600 with stock cooler at stock speeds
    2 gigs o DDR2
    nvidia 7800GTX
    Hiper 580W modular PSU (I understand Antec P-series cases don't go well with modular PSU's due to their psu-at-the-bottom design)
    and, ahem, 4 7200RPM hard drives (2 IDE, 2 SATA), which I reckon are the major source of noise here.

Budget is about 150 euros. I don't need/want side windows, flashing lights, bells or whistles or any of that.

No real preference for any colour either.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭DanGerMus

Antec p180. comes in black and silver.i asked the very same question when i was choosing. beautifully sleek and simple design. Loadsa room inside fantastic build quality. Very happy with mine. Larger than regular cases but its design provides great air flow. it has three 120mm case fans with room for more. and is a very quiet case. it has a special noise dampening design, three layered shell. the site says it all. and with your 4 drives you'll have room for 4 more. Within your price range too. i got mine from OCUK think there prices are a little higher but there service is worth it i think as my case came in 4 days a week before xmas. And no side windows! i cant see why a modular psu would be a problem. there are hard drive bays adjacent to the psu bay at the bottom. Mobo and cpu power were at the limits in terms of length but by no means a stretch and threading the cpu cable under the gfx card was a great in terms of tidyness but it fit either way.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

I've read stuff online that says the p4 power connector on the hiper type-r just isn't long enough to reach the socket on most motherboards when the psu is mounted in the bottom of the P180 :/

• Registered Users Posts: 4,227 ✭✭✭awhir

lian li pc-7 plus

1 of the best casees u can buy.

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=CA-054-LL&groupid=701&catid=7&subcat=187

and its a lian li very well built.

also for around 150 you might get a v1000 have alokk on ocuk :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭hopeful

Stephen wrote:
    I've read stuff online that says the p4 power connector on the hiper type-r just isn't long enough to reach the socket on most motherboards when the psu is mounted in the bottom of the P180 :/

FYI It reaches just fine in my P180 with Asus AN8 SLI.

I was just reading a review of a new Lian Li case that looks good...HERE

Review is HERE.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

Antec P150?

Note, silencing a computer can be "aided" by having a good case, but if you put noisy fans and noisy HDDs in any case you are still going to hear them.

My advice would be to get a good case for around €100 and then invest in a few quiet fans (i.e. scythe sflex?)

• Advertisement

Ooo, they have a shiny new chrome version of it (P180B) on OcUK... for twice the price :eek:

I must go and find a diagram of your motherboard and see if its similar in layout to mine :)

edit: bugger, the atx12v socket on my board is nearly as far away as it possibly could be (upper right corner).

Stephen wrote:
    Ooo, they have a shiny new chrome version of it (P180B) on OcUK... for twice the price :eek:

I must go and find a diagram of your motherboard and see if its similar in layout to mine :)

edit: bugger, the atx12v socket on my board is nearly as far away as it possibly could be (upper right corner).

You mean the P182.. gimick imo.

Also it wouldn't be advisable to get a P180 with a modular PSU as you'll usually have to remove the lower HDD chamber fan to accommodate teh cables.

• Registered Users Posts: 611 ✭✭✭requiem1

had both akasa mirage and eclipse cases and if i had to chose i'd go with the eclipse cause i felt it was easier for cable management and i had issues installing a fan controller on the mirage because of the door. check to see if the p190 is on its way it looks promising the only thing is i think it comes with a KW PSU which you don't need

I'm leaning towards that Lian Li awhir posted. Looks nice, and the fact that you can get a card reader from Lian Li that matches it perfectly is cool.

Only downside I can see is none of those noise-absorbing gromet thingies for mounting HD's - anyone know where i can get some of those? OcUK don't have them.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

komplett have a nexus silencing kit for 20 bills. Comes with rubber fan mounts, rubber HDD mounts, cable ties and rubber feet for your case should it not have any (altho the V1000 has lovely machined wheels)

• Advertisement

ya im thinking of getting a v1000 there slik !!!!!!

If I had to buy another case, I would go with the Antec 900 or the Lian Li V1000. I remember the first PC building guide i read was that corsair system build, and the guy used a V1000. Seemed like a dream to work with and looks great to boot.

That V1000 looks very nice. What's that likely to cost? I don't see it on OcUK either.

Lian Li V1000 PLUS

Prefer the black myself. £130 sterling, so about €190 to €200. Plus If you order ONLY that from OCUK, its £22 or €33 on top of that. Expensive, but worth it.

If you still want LianLi but at a better price, the PC-7 is yer man, im gonna order one this month for a separate build.

Yeah, V1000 is gorgeous but a little too pricey for me. Seriously looking at that PC-7 plus now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

I was out at Hopefull's house last weekl and he has the v1000. It stunning, one of the niceest cases i have ever seen. Well apart from the mountainmods cases. But there well above your budget.

You could also have a look at the antec ninehundred. Its a nice sized case similar in design to the p180's but much better cooling as standard. And comes with 4 controlable tri flow fans. At lowest i cant hear them. But it would be adviseable to replace them for s-flex fans or akasa amber fans. And also has a huge 200mm fan at the top to remove air.

CA-065-AN_400.jpg

Oooh, i was thinkin bout a 900. Amazing looking and phenomenal cooling, I've never seen a 200mm fan, I'd say you could shred hamsters with it. Are they heavy? they are cold rolled steel right?

Antec cases are great, I have a P160 and aside from some minor resonance due to the aluminium chassis, its great to work with and keeps things nice and cool.

Also, AKASA amber fans are a good buy.

Nah the 900 is very light. And the additional 2 120mm fans provides for amazing cooling.

I'm going to have to recommend the P180... everytime I look at it I want to hug it :D I love the simplicity of the design, how functional it is, how quiet it is, how sturdy it is... everything about it is excellent, if you are looking for a brash case with LEDs, windows and all your fans on show then don't get it. If you want a great case for overclocking, cooling and silence, get the P180.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭hopeful

Anti wrote:
    I was out at Hopefull's house last weekl and he has the v1000. It stunning, one of the niceest cases i have ever seen.

Except that the case I have is a V2000 :D

• Advertisement

Ah bugger :/

anti why you at hoppfull house.

I bought some ballistix ram from him.

• Subscribers Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭conzy

They were planning to take over the world.....

me thinks the same lets get them conzy :D

You cant stop us now, the plan is in motion..... :p

ok back OT, OP if you want flash, get the CM 830. It was second on my list, after the P180b, but before the Antec 900

some more good pictures *drool*

2528-door.jpg

• Subscribers Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭conzy

WOW :eek:

Thats incredible! Looks really awesome, but its too heavy :(

Advertisement