Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sandycove

Options
  • 03-04-2007 12:05am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭

this may sound stupid, but can anyone tell me about the sand in sandycove harbour?

I've always presumed it is not a natural sandy beach, so how long has it been there? do the council top it up? Am I talking bollox?:D

It's lovely mind, especially first thing on a sunny morning when the tide is half in.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,241 ✭✭✭Funkstard

I've actually never thought about it before. I can see where you're coming from but I would presume it is a natural beach, perhaps the headland is the cause for the deposition of sand or something. Maybe the beach appeared when they built up the forty foot and the pier beside the beach?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,291 ✭✭✭eclectichoney

yay another 'cover here - i always thought it was natural too!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

Maybe it is, it's just that I always thought that it was orginally a harbour, so it seems strange sand would end up there and nowhere else.

oh well, another of life's little queries :D

• Registered Users Posts: 47 2can

I'd imagine that there has always been sand there considering that the place is called 'SANDYcove', but yes it is strange that there is sand there.

2can wrote: »
    I'd imagine that there has always been sand there considering that the place is called 'SANDYcove', but yes it is strange that there is sand there.

well, which came first? it was originally built as a harbour so I guess at some point it didn't have sand in it.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,716 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

Sandycove harbour fails as harbours go. It has been allowed to silt up and now is just used by canoeists and beach bums (;))

It is actually (or was until recently) owned by Dublin Port as many of the small harbours around Dublin are. But I think DLRCoCo have tried to get their mitts on it too.

The sand is entirely natural and is not interfered with by anyone (until maybe the new development begins)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,297 ✭✭✭Ron DMC

well, which came first? it was originally built as a harbour so I guess at some point it didn't have sand in it.
    Presumably the harbour had no sand in it when originally constructed but there's obviously been a lot of sand in the area for a long time, hence "Sandycove" and "Cuas an Ghainimh".

Interestingly, according to the wikipedia article the Martello Tower has a Joycean museum in it. I've never heard about this before. Anyone ever been in it? I (wrongly) assumed most of the Martello Towers were completely closed up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,291 ✭✭✭eclectichoney

Yeah I've been in the James Joyce museum in the tower, it's well worth checking out! if you live in Sandycove and have never been, shame on you ;) Go on Bloomsday for the authentic vibe / warm touristy feeling.

As an aside, not all the towers are closed up, I know people live in the one in Portrane.

I think the tower only opens on certain days in the winter, mainly by appointment.

The Wild Wicklow tour bus stops there and when that rolls in it gets quite busy. It is great around there on Bloomsday, fantastic party sort of atmosphere with people dressing up in victorian dress etc, eating liver and kidney for breakfast and then getting blind drunk in the Fitzgerald.

Great day!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,506 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

I know people live in the one in Portrane.

And the one down from Killiney DART station. Horrible 70's concrete box dumped on top of the original tower with gigantic windows facing the bay.
    (They have a huge TV there too:D)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,207 ✭✭✭Pablo Sanchez

Bono used to live in the one in Bray!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭max_power

I live in Sandycove and have always been under the impression that it was completely manmade, with sand shipped in from somewhere.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 pokerbum1

Rotten place rotten people

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,207 ✭✭✭Pablo Sanchez

??

• Registered Users Posts: 5,297 ✭✭✭Ron DMC

pokerbum1 wrote: »
    Please back up your negative comments with reasons, otherwise you're just being abusive.

pokerbum1 wrote: »

Can I just say, on behalf of the people of Sandycove, everyone who visits bring joy, some when they enter, others when they leave.

I'll let you decide which category you fall into :D

Advertisement