Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Digiweb Metro in Athy

Options
  • 03-04-2007 12:42am
    Registered Users Posts: 23

I recently had Digiweb metro installed in my house, it is the 20 euro a month package, 1Mb download. What kind of speeds such i get while downloading.
    Currently it can be from 100kb to as low as 20kb.
    I know the contension rate can cause the speed to fluctuates but 20kb seems very slow to me.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 kenny_ke

Cider, Digiweb in athy seem to be okay for the most part, i myself origionally had a 1 meg package and was getting speeds of 700 - 900KB, i would suggest running http://www.irishisptest.com. and then post your results here.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

Download speeds for 1Mb would be around 100-110kb/s max speed.

What are you download and what are you gauging the speed from.

When I had Eircom 512kb, the max I got was 50-55kb/s, and on 3Mb Metro it was 330kb/s

Gaugind the speed from my download manager who gives me an average speed of the download, also from the wedsite i mentioned earlyer to do the speed test. yes i do understand that lack of speed on the packages but personally i am only about 100 Meters from the mast.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

How are you connected to your Modem?

who was that question directed at?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭kc66

Go to http://mytraffic.digiweb.ie and see if you are restricted

• Registered Users Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭kc66

zabbo wrote:
    Download speeds for 1Mb would be around 100-110kb/s max speed.

What are you download and what are you gauging the speed from.

When I had Eircom 512kb, the max I got was 50-55kb/s, and on 3Mb Metro it was 330kb/s

Those speeds should be kB/s? (kilobyte not kilobit)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

20 KBps is far too low. Is there any correlation to the time of day that you are using the internet. If Digiweb Metro is popular in Athy, there could be problems with contention on the wireless base station, but you can do some checks yourself.

If you want to check your speed, download any auld file off ftp.heanet.ie and mabye do a speedtest on www.irishisptest.com aswell. And make sure there is no unnecessary gunk and automatic update ****e going on in the background for the test, if possible. Also do a good virus and spyware scan before running the tests.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

kenny_ke wrote:
    who was that question directed at?
    Cider the OP

• Registered Users Posts: 23 cider

I am currently working night at the minute and i will run those test tomorrrow when i get up and update the results.

I have a wireless router in the upstairs bedrooom and the PC is downstairs. They connection strength is excellent to the router.
    I find it particularly slow in the evenings and it seems a bit quicker during the day.
    Thanks for your advice so far

• Advertisement
Advertisement