Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garden Shed

Options
  • 03-04-2007 2:14am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭

Hi
    We are hoping to acquire a shed in a few weeks time.
    Would love to build one but time does not allow and badly need to move stuff out of house.
    Timber or Metal?
    Prefer the look and feel of timber but getting the usual what about all the rain issues....
    Does anyone have a timber shed and how is it faring under our Irish rain?
    Would appreciate any thoughts.
    Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,399 ✭✭✭Kashkai

I've had two timber sheds in the past 6 years. They look nicer than steel sheds but you have to paint them once a year to preserve the timber. Birds are fond of picking at the mineral felt on the roof and this will allow water to get into the shed. Its happened to both sheds I've owned.

Space is also an issue as most timber sheds don't come much bigger than 10 x 8. I'll be getting a steel shed from Clane in the coming months as they are virtually maintenance free. They come in several colours too so I'll be getting a green one to make it blend in with my trees.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

i only wanted a small shed, so opted for a steel shed. unfortunately, i went for a flatpack one. its great perfect size, hasnt let in rain or blown away!! but it was a nightmare to put up - 3,500 pieces and i still have a bag of pieces that i couldnt figure out where they went :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 Bhoypaul

irishbird wrote:
    i only wanted a small shed, so opted for a steel shed. unfortunately, i went for a flatpack one. its great perfect size, hasnt let in rain or blown away!! but it was a nightmare to put up - 3,500 pieces and i still have a bag of pieces that i couldnt figure out where they went :D

Try paying the extra for a pressure treated timber shed.
    O'Briens in Galway do a 6' x 4' one for €415. they deliver and install for free.
    and have agents in Kildare

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

I got a 6m x 5m shed for 4400 erected.
    The walls are shiplap>20mm batten>10mm OSB>100mm studs.
    The roof is steel box section cladding, on top of breatheable felt and OSB
    I used Tung Oil to preserve the wood even though it is treated.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,523 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

Definitely pressure treated timber and paint it using 2 coats of ronseal 5 year with yearly application to weather beaten sides. Do not paint with one coat stuff as its not great.
    Also advised to air out your shed regularly to avoid must build up.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭Tobi2

Hi folks
    Thanks for the info. We are having minor arguments here about what to do, I say steel/metal as the general upkeep of a timber fills me with dread.
    We are contemplating letting it become climbed on anyway by plantlife...ivy/climbing rose or whatever.
    Would that work?
    Anyway, thanks for the info,
    tbc.
    Tobi

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭billy_beckham

Cjhaughey, who did you get to erect the shed? Did you have to put in the base yourself? Any chance you could post a pic:rolleyes: :D

Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭prospect

I have been pricing PVC coated steel sheds recently, and was very interested in Clane Garden Sheds as it is very close to where I live.
    However, their quote was extortinate, nearly double that of a crowd in Tullamore who do an almost identical product.

Build or buy?
    Build or buy?
    Build or buy?
    Build or buy?
    Build or buy?

Aarrghhhhh, I hate making decisions, i think!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,523 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

Plant life up the side of a shed? Think your asking for damp problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭ShayC

What's the point of getting pressure treated wood if you still have to paint it every year?

Anyone any experience of buying from any of these:
    http://www.boynegardensheds.ie
    http://www.gardenshed.ie/

I'm particularly interested in the garages they do as they do galvanised roofs instead of felt which I don't care for.

Any advice appreciated. thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭Naux

TheDriver wrote:
    Definitely pressure treated timber and paint it using 2 coats of ronseal 5 year with yearly application to weather beaten sides.

Yearly application of 5 year ronseal................So much for "does exactly what it says on the tin":D :D

• Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

I have a standard wooden 8 x 10ft shed for 10ys. Paint it every year with one coat and give it a 2nd coat every 2yrs. Only just replaced the roof felt and its holding up very well.

If you can afford it, go for the metal ones but I think I should get another 10yrs out of my wood one. Thats good value.

I use Ronseal Fencelife on it. No need for the expensive stuff unless its very exposed. Mine is very much protected on sides and back from a fence and trees and only the front gets weathered.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Tobi2 wrote:
    Hi folks
    Thanks for the info. We are having minor arguments here about what to do, I say steel/metal as the general upkeep of a timber fills me with dread.
    We are contemplating letting it become climbed on anyway by plantlife...ivy/climbing rose or whatever.
    Would that work?
    Anyway, thanks for the info,
    tbc.
    Tobi
    Don't grow anything up the shed. In addition to damp problems, many climbers will get in behind sections of the build and cause damage.

A good wooden shed with a metal roof needs a simple painting once a year. I have mine 8 years and 3 years and each is as good as the day I bought them. Both are very dry.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 KILRB

How much does it cost to build a block shed anyway - say 10ft * 10ft?

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭billy_beckham

Cjhaughey, who did you get to erect the shed? Did you have to put in the base yourself? Any chance you could post a pic:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 tedser

where is the best place to buy cladding for a shed 20 ftx12ft

Advertisement