Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dub? Nort Soider? Fingallian?

Options
  • 03-04-2007 7:57am
    Registered Users Posts: 22,775 ✭✭✭✭

There's been a few posts over the history of this forum in relation to where people identify themselves with. It is interesting to see the odd dig at "outsiders" from some long-resident posters within a locality.

There has been a large infux of people to the communities of North County Dublin - particularly from the north city suburbs. What I'd like to know is what area/region/community you feel you identify best with & why?

I'm originally from near Stoneybatter. I've lived in Skerries town since I was 3 (apart from a few years in N Ireland & abroad). A few years ago I moved to The Hills which is in the Balbriggan postal area but is in the parish of Skerries.

Now I'd consider myself to be (in order of preference):
    A Skerriesman (no disrespect to the Brig or its postal area) - It is where I spent my formative years & I love the place.
    A Dubliner - It is where I was born, where Grandpa & Grandma Billy & their parents, etc. were from.
    A Fingallian - Now that I'm older & wiser (older definitely!), I've come to appreciate my wider surroundings. Despite the balls-ups in planning & infrastructure, I feel that Fingal is a great place to live & has a lot to offer those who live there particularly with regards to amenities, etc.

Anyway, over to you...
    What are you & why?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭FunkyDa

Aaahh! Fingal! The land of "the fair haired foreigner"(the norse&danish invaders). Actually, I think that I'm a Fingallian trapped in the body of a Dub. Ever since I was fifteen(before I was legally allowed to), I was riding motorcycles(my brother's BSA Bantam) out around the country lanes of north County Dublin. These days, it's a bicycle, whenever I get a chance(most recently Beaumont>Swords> Rolestown>Coolquoy>Tyrellstown>Finglas>Beaumont).
    Love that countryside!

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,993 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Hmm, I'd consider myself a Suttonian because I grew up in Sutton and the term "Suttonian" sounds laughably poncy.

Whilst my formative years were there, I spent childhood years in Portmarnock, so I guess I'd see myself next as someone from the North County Suburbs, even if Sutton is in a postal-code area, I'd see it more like Howth, which is Co. Dublin.
    I'd rarely use the term "Northsider" to describe myself because, although true, it doesn't seem quite right.

Now I've spent the last four year living in the city centre, all of them on the north side of the Liffey, but I would never think to label myself as a proper Dubliner still - too much of suburbia in me.

The next week this year will (probably) be to Balbriggan which seems to suit my love of Fingal. Guess then that overall, I'd be closer to a Fingallian than anything else.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,894 ✭✭✭Chinafoot

I guess I'd be a Balbrigganer (is that a word...it is now).

Lived here all my life as have my parents and both my grandmothers, and their parents...and possibly their parents too.

As for the whole "northsider" debate, as far as I'm concerned I'm from North County Dublin. There's a big difference between that and the "northside"...although, the way the houses are speading across the county we'll all be meshed into one soon enough :p

I'll never understand the accent though. It's unreal the amount of teenagers from the town that come into where I work with over the top "schwaaaaa" accents.

I'm waiting for them to start wearing their pyjamas outside.

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭Dublin's Finest

Chinafoot wrote:
    I guess I'd be a Balbrigganer (is that a word...it is now).quote]

I believe the legal term is 'Brighead'.

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭sirpsycho

Hill Billy made the news!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,775 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

sirpsycho wrote:
    Hill Billy made the news!
    ???

Check the fingal indo ;)

Will do. Cheers!

Any idea of the page number?

It's at home so I cant check but it was a page on the left and at the top of the page... P12 at a guess

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,894 ✭✭✭Chinafoot

Anyone care to explain to me what exactly this has to do with the topic at hand?

• Advertisement

Chinafoot wrote:
    Anyone care to explain to me what exactly this has to do with the topic at hand?
    No idea. I presume someone in the Fingal has picked up on the subject of this thread. Will get back to you Monday after I've read the Fingal Indo over the weekend. Maybe sirpsycho could elaborate?

Either that or someone's been up in the District Court for peeing in a doorway/failing to follow the instructions of a Garda/drink driving [delete as appropriate] masquerading as the real me (AFAIK sirpsycho doesn't know me personally).

This thread got a mention in the fingal this week. When I seen the headline "Hill Billy" I immediately knew which thread it was on about.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Hill Billy wrote:
    I presume someone in the Fingal has picked up on the subject of this thread
    I think it was the editor - Hubert Murphy. He always has his ear to the ground.

Chinafoot wrote:
    Page 28 of the Fingal Indo has a piece by Hubert Murphy mentioning boards.ie & this thread in particular. He thinks that this thread will "run for sometime." Based on the lack of replies so far I don't think so. Pity. :(

Advertisement