Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Swimming in Galway

Options
  • 03-04-2007 10:44am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,673 ✭✭✭

Just wondering does anyone know if the swimming pools are still open in Galway city.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

• Registered Users Posts: 2,673 ✭✭✭s_carnage

I meant with the problems with the water in Galway. They can't be boiling all the water before putting it in the pools!!!

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,102 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

They have chlorine in pools to kill bacteria.

http://www.leisureland.ie/poolTime.html
    Says "Normal opening hours" so I guess they're open.

Btw, it's safe to drink bottled Galway Irish Spring Water

MarkR wrote:
    They have chlorine in pools to kill bacteria.

Was there not some sort of article that says that this particular type of bug cannot be killed by chlorine?
    Chlorine is not effective for inactivating Cryptosporidium oocystsp

Taken from here but also from various other websites I came across.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,673 ✭✭✭s_carnage

Was there not some sort of article that says that this particular type of bug cannot be killed by chlorine?

Ya i read that aswell.

A lot of the pubs and restaurants in Galway are buying in pumps with UV lights in them. The light is supposed to kill all germs that are found in water.

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,102 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

I stand corrected. I suppose you'd hope that someone with the trots would avoid swimming. Hopefully these places have some other way of treating their water.

It seems someone needs to tell Leisureland :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭daveg

Chlorine does not kill this bug. Do you realise how much bloody Chlorine they put in the drinking water!!

Swimming pools are ok so long as you don't drink the pool water (which is never a good idea anyway). Sure were all showering in the Galway water arn't we?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,395 ✭✭✭Drift

They're definitely still open I was in Leisureland last week and Tuam this week.

If I was running a pool I'd put my "Please do not drink the water" sign right beside my "Please do not urinate in the water" sign. I bet not many people would drink it then. :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,266 ✭✭✭Steyr

I go to Leisureland 6 days a week for 1.5 hours for lane swimming its grand but this week and next week the hours have changed due to easter. Regards,Dave.

Advertisement