Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Canvassing underway - whats your election issues?

Options
  • 03-04-2007 10:56am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭

After we had our first canvasser over this weekend, Im wondering what issues you all intend to raise when they come soliciting your votes.(or would if ye could be bothered answering the door to them. I dont blame yiz.)
    For my part, I repeated the long running issue of the local bypass(or lack of) which turns a relatively straight forward run to the city into a nice, slow tailback.
    I’m also going to harangue them over the issue of Broadband. Like many areas we have none. The country in general is well below the EU average on BB uptake despite charging the highest rates. Its not just embarrassing but its going to severly curtail economic growth. Even some of the Baltic states have faster speeds to go with their lower wages. Alas, id say its well down the pecking order on most TD priorities.
    Much was assured from my canvasser. I give him 8/10 for sham concern.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,155 ✭✭✭PopeBuckfastXVI

Living in an apartment I'm not going to get any I'm sure. My areas of concern are, in no particular order: traffic, traffic and traffic. The Greens reckon they will put a tram into Galway, if I think they can deliver, they have my vote. I drive, but if there was a viable urban public transport network I would much rather use it. Ring road, should be built as soon as possible. Speed up construction on the motorway between balinasloe and galway, it's the absolutely most vein poppingly frustrating bit of road to be stuck on behind some idiot doing 45-50mph after a long journey back to galway, with little or no overtaking on the whole stretch.

If any potential TD is reading this... you know how to get my vote!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,199 ✭✭✭muppetkiller

How about zero tolerance for scumbags of ages 10-100
    about 200 more Gardi in the city.
    Traffic issues.
    Public Transport.
    House Prices.
    Health services.
    The bloody evil water !!!!!
    Life long Dolers should be made work for their Dole.
    VRT on cars to be scrapped.
    And about 1000 other things that are wrong with this Country.
    Lucky people who call to my door :D

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭transylman

Every Galway politician deserves to be replaced right now. Apart from the water problem you have awful traffic, a desperatly needed ring road still not even started, non-existent public transport, planning for houses is a joke, the countys first bit of decent dual carraigeway just getting started after a delay of years, bottleneck towns outside the city. Galway politicians, TDs and county councillors, must be the most incompetent politicians in the country.

I'd keep Michael D though. He seems alright and you can't really blame him for the problems.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,763 ✭✭✭Fenster

I'll vote for anyone who'll get rid of the lights at the Town Hall and the roundabout by the Galway Shopping Centre.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭galah

Traffic (that roundabout near Tesco is on my list as well - would be way easier to turn it into a better-organised junction - oh, hang, we're in Galway, so it's not going to happen...they probably turn the big roundabout into a series of traffic-lighted mini roundabouts or something stupid...)

By-passes. General traffic flow. Driver education (on a national scale). Better public transport. Resident's parking.

The shocking state of UCHG. The health system in general.

The water.

Recycling issues (the fact that there is no proper paper recycling in place - why can't they put up paper&cardboard containers, like the ones for glass???)

House prices.

And a whole lot of other issues as well...

Can't wait to meet the first policitian ;-)

• Advertisement

I think there should be a limit on the amount of lights the greyhound track can use. Anyone who lives around the Lough Atalia/Eye Cinema area can tell you that they tend to take away from the beauty of the area.

Broadband definately needs to be improved in Galway. More hotspots in public places. But the knock-on effect of this is that they need more police officers and more strict laws to ensure said laptop does not get stolen.

Wheres that bloody Claregalway bypass?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,199 ✭✭✭muppetkiller

Oh and I forgot about making sure whoever the town planner/retard is gets fired..
    I mean road works begining at peak hours and Digging up the same road every summer ??? Get them done once and at night like any normal country idiots !!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭galah

get them done once PROPERLY, you mean? :D
    (Father Griffin Road should be up next again, according to the "dig them up once a year rota" - followed by Lough Atalia Road, and Tuam Raod...Just for the craic...)

Oh, and how about a bit of proper road drainage? I mean, why on earth does Lough Atalia Road flood every time it rains??? Surely they could've put something in place to drain excess rain into the Lough????

• Registered Users Posts: 1,540 ✭✭✭sgthighway

How long does it take to get a Driving Test for most people
    House Prices are unreachable
    Health System is crap
    Overcrowded Schools
    Not enough Prisons
    The price of drink is getting to expensive and ruining our social lives becasue not as many people are going out anymore.
    There should be a name and shame for Drink Drivers & Litter Offenders.

I could go on.........

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 lisnageragh

Immigration, Time to start restricting.

Rising ESB costs

Galway Water and this rubbish about waiting 6 months!

House prices.

Lack of Social housing.

Better Traffic planning throughout Galway City.

The Shocking State of our health service.

Free Medical cards to all children under 16.

Get L drivers of the road unless they are with a Qualified driver. Scandelous that in a Western nation we can have people fail their driving test who then drive Home and anywhere else they want!

• Advertisement
Advertisement