Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

shady front garden

Options
  • 03-04-2007 11:16am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,832 ✭✭✭

Well I'm finally getting round to sorting out my front garden. It's north facing so doesn't get a lot of direct sunlight. The soil is quite sparse round the edges so I want to raise it a bit to make beds for some shrubs/ perennials etc which I think will be ok along the outer edges of the garden.
    So my first dumb question is: do I have to dig up the old grass or can I just cover/ fill with top soil/ compost?

Second dumb question.. there's bit just in front of the house that is really shady and again the soil is sparse. I do have a few heathers there since autumn and they're ok (though one died. Do you think I'd get anything else to grow there or would I be better to keep it as a little heather/ alpine area?

This is going to be very much a trial and error job which I don't mind..it's the only way to learn but if there's anything I really should avoid because it wouldn't have a hope in a shady north facing garden let me know so I can avoid wasting money!

Thanks

Advertisement