Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The 'mother of all Irish derbies' tonight (April 3)

• 03-04-2007 11:36am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭

This couldn't be covered under the usual 'IFTW' slot, for reasons I won't bore you with. But, for anyone living under a rock or a satellite dish ;) , the 'mother of all Irish derbies' (Examiner's words, not mine) takes place tonight at Dalymount Park, 7.45pm.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,955 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

I think it's safe to say the 'mother of all Irish derbies' actually takes place in Belfast. Bigger crowds, tradition, etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

Zebra3 wrote:
    I think it's safe to say the 'mother of all Irish derbies' actually takes place in Belfast. Bigger crowds, tradition, etc.

Think that competes for the "mother of all UK derbies" myself...

/me ducks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Zebra3 wrote:

My arse it's bigger. It's also a British derby.

Not happy with the fact that Aidan Price is going to be out tonight, but I reckon we still have enough to do them.

I just hope that there's no trouble tonight. Bohs' gob****es have been involved in some ugly incidents already this season and if our gob****es decide that they're going to get involved in it, it could ruin a lot of good PR work on behalf of both clubs in the build up to the game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

It's also a British derby.

No its not.

Britain=England + Scotland + Wales.

Glentoran and Linfield compete in the Irish League run by the Irish Football Association.

Linfield-Glentoran biggest Irish derby.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,452 ✭✭✭Time Magazine

Irish Football Association, not the Football Association of Ireland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Irish Football Association - a UK sporting organisation and the game in question has had a recent average attendence of 3000-3500.

Anyway, this is getting way, way off topic.

Team news for the game is here http://www.rte.ie/sport/2007/0403/bohemians.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭SectionF

Zebra3 wrote:
    I don't think anyone in Dalymount Park tonight will be sweating over the Irish League.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

I just hope that there's no trouble tonight.
    There will be trouble tonight, and the Evening Herald were very irresponsible last week, they covered that bebo thing outside the Hill16 pub. Which they have already covered twice before. I hate that paper and all it stands for. It's coverage of the LoI is reprehensible to say the least. But still. There will be trouble tonight.

Here's the reasons.
    Bohs' gob****es
    our gob****es

it could ruin a lot of good PR work on behalf of both clubs in the build up to the game.
    These type of people don't care about that. And they never will. And if the Herald keeps up it's sensationalist crap it will only make it worse.

Wow, it looks like I'm blaming the Herald for this, I'm not. And yes, I do realise that my own club has been attracting a following akin to these idiots that associate the two clubs playing this evening.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,072 ✭✭✭✭event

it on tv?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,881 ✭✭✭bohsman

event wrote:
    it on tv?

Of course not, the mainland teams are still in the champions league

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

bohsman wrote:
    Of course not, the mainland teams are still in the champions league
    :D

Irish Football Association - a UK sporting organisation and the game in question has had a recent average attendence of 3000-3500.

Irish Football Association- an Irish sporting organisation. When was the last time a Bohs-Rvs game hit the five figure mark? Glens-Blues gets bigger gates than Bohs-Rovers and has a longer tradition. A point you never touched on for some reason.
    Anyway, this is getting way, way off topic.

No, it's not. Look at what the topic actually is. :rolleyes:
    SectionF wrote:
    I don't think anyone in Dalymount Park tonight will be sweating over the Irish League.

Why would they be?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,056 ✭✭✭applehunter

Expect Bohs to win this game, especially after the hurt of going out of the cup to them last year.

I hope the idiots who support these teams on both sides can keep it on the terraces.:rolleyes:

Prediction :

Bohs 3 - 0 Rovers
    Crowe(2)
    Fenn

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Cant see bohs scoring more than one , rovers to win 2-1 by sheer hard work.

Hopefully no trouble.

kdjac

I want applehunter to be right but 0-0 is most likely.

1-0 rovers

kdjac

1-1 crowe

kdjac

2-1

McGuinness comes back to haunt Rovers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,300 ✭✭✭CiaranC

2-1 bohs

• Advertisement

2-1

McGuinness comes back to haunt Rovers

crap had money on rovers.

watch the news now for the aftermath?

kdjac

Backed Bohs:)

Meant to go along but fell asleep and woke up and it was 8. Should have gone along even then when you see the dramatic ending.

Bohs win was the best thing for me as when we die on our arse in the league i want to be well clear of Rovers :)

made enough last night with pats 6-1 to win our group so not to bothered.

kdjac

A banner saying "Peter Ryan rip" was displayed at tonights game.

nice one bohs/rovers.

kdjac

Nice touch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,818 ✭✭✭Bateman

It was Bohs fans with the banner AFAIK. Peter was one of my closest friends, I didn't go to the game tonight, but I think he must have.

Bateman wrote:
    It was Bohs fans with the banner AFAIK. Peter was one of my closest friends, I didn't go to the game tonight, but I think he must have.

lol

God he hated rovers.

Late goals from Glen Crowe and Jason McGuinness gave Bohemians a scarcely deserved win in the first Dublin derby of the season before a crowd of around 5,000 at Dalymount Park.

The result was very harsh on Pat Scully's vibrant Shamrock Rovers side, who dominated for long spells before succumbing to their first defeat of the campaign.

Trailing to Tadhg Purcell's first-half opener, Bohemians finally came alive to level on 82 minutes when Crowe shot home from substitute Darren Mansaram's lay-off - the Gypsies' first shot on target in the whole match.

Central defender McGuinness then won it on 88 minutes when his looping header from Dessie Byrne's cross from the left beat Barry Murphy.

With a better shape and purpose about them, Rovers settled the quicker and carved out two half chances inside nine minutes.

Bohemians goalkeeper Brian Murphy was scarcely troubled by David Cassidy's low shot after an error by Byrne, while Ger Rowe headed wide from strike partner Purcell's cross.

But Bohemians did experience a real let off on 21 minutes from the first decent delivery into the box from Rovers' right-back Ger O'Brien. Rowe got half a touch to help the ball on to Purcell's whose toe-poke had to be pushed away by Murphy.

The same two combined to give Rovers a deserved lead after 29 minutes.

Out of nothing, Rowe hooked a cross into the area with Purcell getting a decent downward header to the ball. A hesitant Murphy seemed to think it was going wide, making little effort to prevent it bouncing before nestling in the bottom right-hand corner of his net.

That sparked a bit of life into Bohemians and they were almost level within ten minutes. Mark Rossiter surged forward from right-back, worked a one-two with Neale Fenn, before stretching to shoot wide.

Bohs had more impetus about them from the resumption and Rossiter again got forward well to shoot narrowly wide on 54 minutes.

But it was Rovers, with Rowe and Purcell dovetailing superbly up front, who might have doubled their lead on 63 minutes; the former forcing Murphy to tip over his bar with a speculative lob from over 20 yards.

Crowe greatly lifted Bohemains and they stole at the death thanks to McGuinness, a former Rovers player.

Bohemians: Murphy; Rossiter, McGuinness, Pooley, Powell (Harkin, h/t); Kingsberry, Rice, Kelly, Byrne; Crowe, Fenn (Mansaram, 65 mins)

Shamrock Rovers: Murphy; O'Brien, Ferguson, Ryan, Clarke; Pender (Duffy, 90 mins.), Barrett, Cassidy, Dave O'Connor (Colbert, 91 mins.); Purcell, Rowe

Referee: Alan Kelly (Cork)

5000 biggest attd of the season so far.

kdjac

Bar McGuinness of all people we were muck in the first half, second half was a big improvement, seems to be a good team spirit there aswell if we can start playing well, players practically jumped into the stand celebrating the goals, Byrne Crowe and Joxer getting the chanting going after the final whistle aswell and Sean Connor over to the fans in a way Roddy never would have dared. McGuinness easily man of the match, Fenn has been a passenger so far this season.

• Advertisement

A more biased view

http://www.bohemian-fc.com/home/home/bohs-2-1-shamrock-rovers/

by Stephen Moore

Bohemians 2 – 1 Shamrock Rovers

Bohs came back from the dead to beat Shamrock Rovers 2-1 tonight in a fiercely contested Dublin derby. For what the game lacked in fluid football in the first half it made up for in passion. The visitors held the lead at the break as Bohs looked up for the task but short on ideas. However Sean Connor’s team talk seemed to have more than the desired effect on his charges as Bohs blitzed the visitors in the second half. The home side were made wait for their equalizer however, but once Crowe had slotted home with aplomb in the 81st minute the tide had turned and only minutes later McGuinness sealed the win with a looping header.

Bohs showed passion and determination early in the first half but were seriously lacking in ideas and real attacking threat. Rovers had the better of the opening exchanges. Cassidy had shot blocked on 10 minutes and saw his header fly narrowly wide moments later. A half blocked cross on 16 minutes saw Purcell pounce 6 yards out but Murphy did well to block his shot.

The opening goal of the game came on 28 minutes when and innocuous looking lob into the penalty area was met by the head of Purcell and his languid header evaded Murphy and snuck inside the near post. Rovers may have had the best of the play up until that point but were hardly deserving of their lead.

Bohs huffed and puffed up until the interval but the closest the came was when Rossiter and Kingsbury linked up down the right flank and the former sliced his shot wide and Bohs went in behind.

Bohs were revitalised after the break and shot out of the traps piling pressure on Rovers. Fenn chested down Kingsbury’s cross and Kelly fired wide from 18 yards on 48 minutes. Ferguson almost sliced the ball into his own net after another good piece of play from Fenn only a minute later.

Bohs were starting to dominate and Rovers began to dig in, in an attempt to hang on to their slender lead.

Kelly fired wide once more shortly afterwards as Bohs continued with an ultra high tempo. The equaliser almost came on 53 minutes when Rossiter when on a charging run through midfield and unleashed a dipping drive from 35 yards that flew narrowly wide.

The pressure was mounting on the Rovers defence and when McGuinness headed narrowly wide on 65 minutes it seemed as if the equaliser was bound not to materialise. Shortly afterwards Fenn was replaced by Mansaram as Bohs went for broke.

Crowe broke in behind the Rovers defence on 70 minutes but his teasing cross was cleared by Ferguson as Mansaram looked to pounce.

Mansaram was involved again moments later when his clever chest down to Crowe led to Bohs captain for the night curling inches wide of the target from 20 yards.

With only ten minutes to go Bohs chance seemed to be slipping away, and when Byrne’s long throw wasn’t dealt with and Rice blasted over from 12 yards Rovers may have begun to think they were going to escape unscathed.

However, cometh the hour, cometh the man, and surprise, surprise for the umpteenth time in a Bohs-Rovers derby game that man was Glen Crowe. Indecision in the Rovers defence allowed the ball to break in behind their back line. And as Crowe raced onto the breaking ball there was never a doubt as to the outcome. Cool, calm and composed as ever he slotted the ball into the far corner and sent the home fans and players alike into raptures.

Bohs nearly fluffed their lines shortly after however when Dean Pooley mis-hit a backpass on the halfway line and Rowe bore down on the Bohs goal unchallenged. However just as it looked as if he might spoil the Bohs party, Rice slide in with a perfectly timed challenge to save the day.

All the momentum was still with Bohs though and they showed they were not content with a point as they began to push forward in search of a winner. That winner came with less than 5 minutes to go. Byrne arrowed a cross into the Rovers penalty area and McGuinness rose to flick his header goalward. The ball seemed to hang in the air for an eternity, the ball dipped in under the crossbar with inches to spare.

Bohs dug in for the closing moments and took a thoroughly deserved victory. Tonight was the definition of everything expected from a derby game. Passion, tension and drama in bundles. If Bohs needed a kick-start to their season they could not possibly have asked for a better one than tonight.

bohsman wrote:

really?

Its like Bohs werent playing anyone in that review.

kdjac

KdjaCL wrote:
    5000 biggest attd of the season so far.

kdjac

Thought that sounded very high, seems 3500 is closer to the mark.

Advertisement